Windows 10: Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps

Discus and support Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Under Windows 10, when I try to open a file using "Open With" any legacy exe, the program opens without opening the target, i.e. the file is not passed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidHMcCracken, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps

Under Windows 10, when I try to open a file using "Open With" any legacy exe, the program opens without opening the target, i.e. the file is not passed as an argument to the program. This also happens if I assign the program as the default app for particular file types. These programs don't have this problem in XP or Win7. Programs that I have written and commercial ones behave similarly. Mine aren't doing anything fancy. They simply read the command line passed to them. The main function is WINAPI WinMain(...,PSTR commandline,...). commandline is empty. Compatibility settings have no effect. I have a workaround but I don't like it. Win10 does pass the target file to a BAT script, which can, in turn, invoke the legacy program, passing it all arguments. i.e. path\myprogram.exe %*. Is there any way to just get W10 to pass this directly to my executable?

:)

DavidHMcCracken, Jul 7, 2018
  2. t_ski Win User

$.10 android apps

Not sure if anyone's seen this yet, but they have $.10 (yes, 10 cents) android apps on the Android Market to celebrate 10 BILLION downloads. So far I've picked up Tetris, Need for Speed Shift, SoundHound amd ADWLauncher EX. There were several other games that were listed, including ones too good for my phone *Frown Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps :(

t_ski, Jul 7, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 7, 2018
  4. Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps

Winhlp32.exe in Windows 10

Hello Quantaman,

Thank you for writing to us.

Please be informed that winhelp32.exe has not been developed for Windows 10 yet. The functional help for older programs in legacy operating systems is still available.

I suggest you to post your valuable feedback about Windows 10 in feedback app. So, that it will be helpful for the developers to integrate the changes suggested by you.

Open start menu, type Feedback app in search bar and click on feedback app to open it. Post your suggestions in feedback app.

Hope it helps.

Thank You

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 7, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps

1. Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps - Similar Threads - does pass target

2. Can't open any *.exe files or windows apps.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open any *.exe files or windows apps.: Open a file or app I get a System file error (-1073741819) I search and find to sfc /scannow, also did the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth. I did these scans and troubleshoot many times but it does not resolve the problem. Today I find Create Windows 10...
  3. Winhlp32.exe for Windows 10 64 bit to access legacy help files working in Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Winhlp32.exe for Windows 10 64 bit to access legacy help files working in Windows 7: Need to download Winhlp32.exe for Windows 10 64 bit to access legacy help files that work in Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winhlp32exe-for-windows-10-64-bit-to-access-legacy/1b6b59a4-9aec-4dd3-a755-e668bd0cf593
  4. .app to be seen as .exe.....help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .app to be seen as .exe.....help!: hey guys, i need help with something.... i need to make netflix.app to be seen as netflix.exe is this possible..im creating a media center and when its.app it opens in the backgound and not over the media center maximized..... any help! is their a alias or something that...
  5. Windows 10 cannot open any exe files or apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 cannot open any exe files or apps: Windows 10 cannot open any downloaded executables or even apps like the windows 10 updater on the desktop. Also cannot uninstall any programs. If I (win key, X) it takes me to powershell. No able to open anythin in (win key, R) either. How to fix this?????...
  6. .exe file for Calendar App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .exe file for Calendar App: Hi all, So, the title says it all - I need to find the .exe file for the W10 built-in Calendar App. A simple shortcut file won't do, because the Logitech Options software for my mouse (MX Master) won't allow to configure a mouse button to it. Yes, I did try. An...
  7. Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode: hi currently windows 10 is installed with UEFI mode in my ASUS notebook. the harddisk is in GPT partitioning style. so when i turn on my notebook, i am getting ASUS logo while booting up instead of the blue coloured windows logo. [img] (this pic is not from my...
  8. Accessing Legacy BIOS windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Accessing Legacy BIOS windows 10: Hey guys, First off apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forums. Long story short I recently bought a new Graphics card, hardware install is fine, windows and Radeon settings recognise it's installed however I need to set my PC to use my new GPU as opposed to my...
  9. Legacy web apps in the enterprise

in Windows 10 News
    Legacy web apps in the enterprise: Migrating legacy web apps to modern standards can be both costly and time consuming. IT departments are generally cost centers, and it makes sense for enterprises to want to maximize the ROI on their existing LOB apps. Many of these sites may continue to exist without being...
  10. Windows 10 RTM: June is the target

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 RTM: June is the target: Microsoft is moving at a very quick pace with Windows 10, from new technical previews being pushed at a semi-regular pace, to also building Windows 10 for phones at the same time. It goes without saying that all the engineers at Redmond are putting in long hours to bring you...