Windows 10: Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps

Discus and support Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Under Windows 10, when I try to open a file using "Open With" any legacy exe, the program opens without opening the target, i.e. the file is not passed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidHMcCracken, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps

Under Windows 10, when I try to open a file using "Open With" any legacy exe, the program opens without opening the target, i.e. the file is not passed as an argument to the program. This also happens if I assign the program as the default app for particular file types. These programs don't have this problem in XP or Win7. Programs that I have written and commercial ones behave similarly. Mine aren't doing anything fancy. They simply read the command line passed to them. The main function is WINAPI WinMain(...,PSTR commandline,...). commandline is empty. Compatibility settings have no effect. I have a workaround but I don't like it. Win10 does pass the target file to a BAT script, which can, in turn, invoke the legacy program, passing it all arguments. i.e. path\myprogram.exe %*. Is there any way to just get W10 to pass this directly to my executable?

:)

DavidHMcCracken, Jul 7, 2018
  2. t_ski Win User

$.10 android apps

Not sure if anyone's seen this yet, but they have $.10 (yes, 10 cents) android apps on the Android Market to celebrate 10 BILLION downloads. So far I've picked up Tetris, Need for Speed Shift, SoundHound amd ADWLauncher EX. There were several other games that were listed, including ones too good for my phone *Frown Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps :(

t_ski, Jul 7, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 7, 2018
  4. Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps

Winhlp32.exe in Windows 10

Hello Quantaman,

Thank you for writing to us.

Please be informed that winhelp32.exe has not been developed for Windows 10 yet. The functional help for older programs in legacy operating systems is still available.

I suggest you to post your valuable feedback about Windows 10 in feedback app. So, that it will be helpful for the developers to integrate the changes suggested by you.

Open start menu, type Feedback app in search bar and click on feedback app to open it. Post your suggestions in feedback app.

Hope it helps.

Thank You

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 7, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps

1. Windows 10 does not pass target to Legacy exe apps - Similar Threads - does pass target

2. Changing Default App Target

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Default App Target: I’m attempting to run a version of a program that can only be run via manual shortcut bedrock editor for minecraft bedrock preview. However, the default app for this shortcut is Minecraft Bedrock retail version, though to work, the shortcut must run the preview version. In my...
  3. Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10: Many many years ago I developed a VB6 program accessing an Access db running on Windows XP. I am now trying to convert the application to run on Windows 10. Have had partial success but now really stuck and wondering if anyone could help.What I have done so far is:- changed &...
  4. Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10: Many many years ago I developed a VB6 program accessing an Access db running on Windows XP. I am now trying to convert the application to run on Windows 10. Have had partial success but now really stuck and wondering if anyone could help.What I have done so far is:- changed &...
  5. Need to remove Block and install .NET 4.5 Targeting pack for legacy apps

Need to remove Block and install .NET 4.5 Targeting pack for legacy apps: Got a new laptop with Win 10 Pro, Downloaded VS2022, but my legacy apps require .NET Framework 4.5 to build and NO I am not willing to go to latest .NET yet. My other systems with Win 10 Pro and VS2019 and VS2022 compile just fine. How can I remove the block and install...
  6. Need to remove Block and install .NET 4.5 Targeting pack for legacy apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to remove Block and install .NET 4.5 Targeting pack for legacy apps: Got a new laptop with Win 10 Pro, Downloaded VS2022, but my legacy apps require .NET Framework 4.5 to build and NO I am not willing to go to latest .NET yet. My other systems with Win 10 Pro and VS2019 and VS2022 compile just fine. How can I remove the block and install...
  7. Need to remove Block and install .NET 4.5 Targeting pack for legacy apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. how to block apps regardless of renaming or installing the same .exe file to by pass the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to block apps regardless of renaming or installing the same .exe file to by pass the...: am having trouble to permanently block pisphone.exe in our organization but some of the guys keep renaming it or installing the same exe file so it becomes pisphone1.exe to bypass the restriction...
  9. Target value doesn't exist anymore in exe properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Target value doesn't exist anymore in exe properties: This is how it is now.But how it wasHelp? I cannot contact live chat for a quick help because "You are not the owner of the case." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/target-value-doesnt-exist-anymore-in-exe/08be4255-e430-442d-a049-aa5ad463fdd5
  10. Target value doesn't exist anymore in exe properties

Target value doesn't exist anymore in exe properties: This is how it is now.But how it wasHelp? I cannot contact live chat for a quick help because "You are not the owner of the case." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/target-value-doesnt-exist-anymore-in-exe/08be4255-e430-442d-a049-aa5ad463fdd5