Windows 10: Windows 10 does not play DVDs

Discus and support Windows 10 does not play DVDs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello I have only recently noticed my PC's DVD player does not play standard film DVDs. Having looked up a few web sites I find that this is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mr Morgan, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Mr Morgan Win User

Windows 10 does not play DVDs

Hello

I have only recently noticed my PC's DVD player does not play standard film DVDs. Having looked up a few web sites I find that this is a familiar question given the apparent lack of DVD support in Windows 10 but several sites have recommended VLC Player as an alternative to Windows Media Player or Windows DVD Player.

Well I have tried all three players and the result is the same, i.e. nothing. My PC does not even recognise a DVD in File Explorer. Yet it will quite happily play a music CD. There is noi indication of a hardware fault in Device Manager or Windows 10's troubleshooters.

Has anyone any ideas? My PC is running a 64 bit version Windows 10 and is fully patched with the latest updates.

I have tested the DVDs on a dedicated player and they do work.

Thanks

:)

Mr Morgan, Jun 25, 2018

2. Windows DVD Player installed in Windows 10 but not recognizing DVD to play

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The DVD Player app only supports the following:

a. DVDs from a file backup is not supported, the app currently only plays DVD movies on optical discs.

b. The App will only play DVD's not Blu-ray discs.

If you satisfy both the categories, I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Update DVD/CD-ROM drives from Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Update.
    If this does not work you might have to Uninstall and then reinstall your drivers in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Uninstall.

• Reinstall your audio driver from Manufacturer's Website in Compatibility mode.

• Restart your system
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jun 25, 2018
  3. playing a DVD on PC with Windows 10

Hi,

In order for us to determine the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue, we'd like to clarify the following:

• What happens when you try to play a DVD?

• Did you try a different DVD?

• Did you get any error messages?

• Are you able to see the content of DVD on the file explorer?

• What is the file format of the files inside the DVD?

Regards.

Zedrick Del, Jun 25, 2018
  4. Windows 10 does not play DVDs

Playing dvds

Hi Dan,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Is it happening on all the DVDs that you are trying to play on the Media Player?
    • Have you tried playing the DVDs on other computers? If so, are you getting the same error?
    • When did you start encountering the issue?
    • What specific troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, we suggest that you run the Windows Media Player troubleshooter. To do this. follow the steps below:

• On the Start menu, type Troubleshooting and hit
      Enter.
    • On the left pane, choose View all.
    • Run the Windows Media Player DVD, Windows Media Player Library, and
      Windows Media Player Settings.

Windows 10 does not play DVDs d40dab60-b76b-4f48-962b-c93b0dece089.png
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 does not play DVDs

1. Windows 10 does not play DVDs - Similar Threads - does play DVDs

2. I can't play cds or dvds on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't play cds or dvds on Windows 10: play cds or dvds on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-play-cds-or-dvds-on-windows-10/098136a1-212d-49c6-bef3-360e29e777b3
  3. playing DVDs'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    playing DVDs': Has anyone downloaded a DVD app? If so which one? Has anyone used a USB external DVD player? If so which one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-dvds/92674b31-6637-4d99-a7df-ca16f80e88dc
  4. Will not allow DVDs to play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will not allow DVDs to play: This unit will not play any type of DVD ?????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-not-allow-dvds-to-play/099acbae-fba0-455e-8a2d-58d64a2642cd
  5. Can't play DVDs

Can't play DVDs: I have a Dell Inspiron 3670/Windows 10 desktop computer. I cannot play DVDs with the Windows Media Player. No problem playing CDs. I don't get any error message. There is a small arrow at the bottom of the page with the message "retrieving media info" but the DVD never...
  6. Can't play old DVDs

Can't play old DVDs: I just bought a new Dell Inspiron 3671 with Win 10. I tried using the DVD player, but the spindle hole is too small for my discs. What am I doing wrong? I would like to play/record on discs I have on hand....
  7. Can no longer play dvds.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can no longer play dvds.: My D: drive will not play my dvds, but will play music cds. My pc says that the device is working properly. It used to play dvds, no problem. Any help, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-no-longer-play-dvds/8daff18a-4103-461a-8e27-20b1d75da4a7"
  8. DVDs won't play with my Windows 10 PC

DVDs won't play with my Windows 10 PC: I purchased a new ASUS PC about 2 years ago which runs on Windows 10. I am not able to play movies on DVDs, regardless if they are genuine DVDs or movies burnt to a DVD. I am however able to play audio CDs no problem. After inserting a DVD into the drive, the title will...
  9. how to play Bluetooth DVDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to play Bluetooth DVDs: I have Windows 10. I am able to "connect" a Bluetooth adaptor. Do I need this adaptor to play Bluetooth DVDs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-play-bluetooth-dvds/aca2e039-7109-4a3a-a46b-1af6d356c291
  10. PLAYING DVDS ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    PLAYING DVDS ON WINDOWS 10: I AM NOT HAVING ANY SUCCESS WITH PLAYING DVDS ON MY COMPUTER. I EVEN DOWNLOADED THE VLC PLAYER, BUT STILL DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET IT TO PLAY....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 does not play dvd

2. dvd not playing in windows 10

3. windows 10 not playing dvd

4. how to watch videos on computer,
  5. dvd not playing on windows 10,
  6. dvds not playing on windows 10,
  7. open dvd player on dell desktop,
  8. how to use dvd on my laptop,
  9. watch dvd in windows 10,
  10. play cd on this computer,
  11. interactual player windows 10,