Windows 10: Windows 10 does not recognise an external drive for backup purposes (file history)

Discus and support Windows 10 does not recognise an external drive for backup purposes (file history) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've just bought a new laptop with an internal SSD and an external 1Tb HDD. Windows 10 does reflect the HDD in File Explorer, and the drive can be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GarySmithinSA, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Windows 10 does not recognise an external drive for backup purposes (file history)

I've just bought a new laptop with an internal SSD and an external 1Tb HDD. Windows 10 does reflect the HDD in File Explorer, and the drive can be used for copying files to and from it. But when I try to set up a regular backup process, via "save backup copies of your files with file history" the system says "no usable drive was found".

:)

GarySmithinSA, Aug 24, 2018

2. File History does not recognise this drive

I have a new Windows 10 machine.

I started to use File History on an external drive to secure my data.

I then made a complete mess of accidentally loading data within the File History file.

So I deleted the File History file from the external drive.

Now Windows 10 refuses to recognise this drive as a suitable place to secure my data with the message "File History does not recognise this drive".

How can I get Windows 10 to be reasonable, and just do what I ask it to do?

Peter L Murray, Aug 24, 2018
  3. File History does not recognise this drive

Hi Eeshwar

Thank you for your suggestion.

I tried a quick reformat of the external drive - that did not work.

So I then did a full reformat - which took several hours - then disconnected the drive. After re-booting the machine and reconnecting the external drive File History persisted with the message "File History does not recognise this drive".

I have tried to read the forum you suggested but I got completely lost in all the attempts and failed suggestions that I was totally unable to discern what I should do to get File History to just use the now perfectly clean external drive.

Could you give me further guidance?

Peter L Murray, Aug 24, 2018
  4. prbureau Win User

Windows 10 does not recognise an external drive for backup purposes (file history)

Windows 10 file history will not backup files located on an external drive

I have windows 10 pro. I turned on file history and selected the folders that I want to be backed up. Some of these files are from an external drive. (I have two external USB drives one for storing the file history and the other for large documents. The
    file history USB drive has the letter F: the external drive that has the files I want backed up is on Y: I have selected the Y: external USB HD drive from the Select Folder as a folder I want backed up and ran the backup. Windows did not backup the files
    on the Y: drive. I then selected a subfolder on the Y: drive to be backed up. The same issue Windows backup will not backup any folders or files on the external Y: drive even when I specifically select the folder to be backed up..

Question is how can I get windows 10 backup to backup folders on the Y: drive. I cannot copy these files to the C: drive because the file size would be too big.

The File History drive is 1.8Terrabytes and the amount of files on the Y: drive is only 650 gig. Therefore there is plenty of space on the F: drive to store the files.

Does anyone know how to get the files backed up from the Y: drive.

If windows 10 cannot backup files from an external drive then why does Windows 10 allow me to even select the Y: drive as a folder to backup without any error message? The Y: drive is selected as a folder to backup and as a further test a subfolder of the
    Y: drive is also included however neither is backed up.

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Best regards

John

prbureau, Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 does not recognise an external drive for backup purposes (file history)

1. Windows 10 does not recognise an external drive for backup purposes (file history) - Similar Threads - does recognise external

2. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  3. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  4. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  5. Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive: My 1TB external hard drive is almost full. I want to keep all my previous file history files rather than delete older versions. How do I copy the file history files from this older 1TB external hard drive to a new 6TB external hard drive? I'd then like to use the new...
  6. External backup drive not recognised in window rescue environment

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External backup drive not recognised in window rescue environment: I'm hoping someone can help. I am using macrium reflect (the free version). They do not allow free version users in their support forum. I use Win 10 pro 2004. Here's the weird problem: I have 3 external drives (in enclosures with jmicron chipsets), which work perfectly in...
  7. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  8. periodic backup to external drive using file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    periodic backup to external drive using file history: If I set up my files to be backed up to an external hard drive using file history, do I have to keep the external drive connected continuously? Or can I hook up external drive periodically?...
  9. File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?: Hi, I'd like to use the same usb drive to backup multiple computers. They have the same user id, so I was wondering if the backups would be kept in different directories. Please let me know exactly how multiple computer/users/ etc. are stored with File History. (and if...
  10. PC does not recognise external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC does not recognise external drive: I have an external drive with USB connection which is no longer recognised by my Windows 10 PC. When I switch it on there is the expected beep but it does not appear in File Explorer. Also it is no longer "powered down" after a period of non-use. When I attach the drive to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file history refuses to select a drive

2. file history does not recognise the external drive

3. windows 10 refuses to see my external backup drive

4. backup and restore in windows 10 does not recognise my external drive