Windows 10: Windows 10 does not save a folder view that doesn't match default

Discus and support Windows 10 does not save a folder view that doesn't match default in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to be able to set the folder view option on any folder, regardless of type (such a silly option) and have Windows 10 remember that view option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gaylesmith5, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Windows 10 does not save a folder view that doesn't match default

I want to be able to set the folder view option on any folder, regardless of type (such a silly option) and have Windows 10 remember that view option when I open the folder again. I do not want to buy a third party utility. I have spent enough money with Microsoft over the years that I want them to provide the solution. Has anyone figured out a way to have Windows 10 save view options on an individual folder?

:)

gaylesmith5, Jun 19, 2016
  2. The DaYv Win User

Customize default view in the "Save as" Window

Hello All,

I am looking for a way to customize the "Save as" file explorer window in Windows 10. Specifically I want it to default to a view where all files and folder are sorted by the "date modified" view with the most recent files on the top.

Strangely, customizing the view in regular file explorer and using the "Apply to Folders" button under "Folder Options" to set this view as the default for all Folder views does not apply to the "Save as" window.

So after setting the default view as described above, every file explorer window EXCEPT the save as window sort everything by Date Modified by default. Now if when I am navigating through a "save as" window (any application) and I change a view to be sorted
    by "Date Modified" it stays that way, but I'd like that to just be the default view. I feel that if Windows can remember how I left the window there must be a way to change the default view. A registry hack maybe?

Does anyone know of a way to change the default view of the "Save as" window" to be sorted by "Date modified"?

Thanks

-Dave

The DaYv, Jun 19, 2016
  3. The DaYv Win User
    Customize default view in the "Save as" Window

Hey Thanks for taking a look at this.

but this isn't exactly what I was looking for.

I know how to make the window look exactly the way I want it to look, and I can even make that specfic view the default view for all folders in regular file explorer.

The problem I am having is in getting that default view to apply to the "Save as" window. The window you get in any Microsoft application when yo click "Save as". The default view that I've set up for File Explorer doesn't seem to apply when looking at the
    same folders through the "Save as" window.

So If I just navigate to the folders normally, they are sorted by "Date Modified", but If I look at the same folders through the "Save as" window the files are not sorted as "Date Modified" until I select the column and set them as so. There are hundreds
    of folders though, and I'd rather not set them individually. So I used the windows function that allow me to set a selected view to all folders and it worked, UNLESS I'm looking at the folders in the "Save as" Window.

It seems that the "save as" Window operates independently of the default settings of "File Explorer". SO I'm looking for a way to customize the view in the "Save as" window specially.

Is that clearer?

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

The DaYv, Jun 19, 2016
  4. Windows 10 does not save a folder view that doesn't match default

Mine remembers what I last set it to?

alphanumeric, Jun 19, 2016
  5. galaxys Win User
    Yep, mine seems to remember it's views...so far.

galaxys, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 does not save a folder view that doesn't match default

1. Windows 10 does not save a folder view that doesn't match default - Similar Threads - does save folder

2. Folder view not saving in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder view not saving in Windows 11: Hope I can explain this in an easy manner.I usually like to keep my folder view with the large view option. It is easy to just select the Video option when I select optimize this folder for option.Normally when I do this, it stays this way. Now. once I close the window & open...
  3. Folder view not saving in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder view not saving in Windows 11: Hope I can explain this in an easy manner.I usually like to keep my folder view with the large view option. It is easy to just select the Video option when I select optimize this folder for option.Normally when I do this, it stays this way. Now. once I close the window & open...
  4. Default save folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default save folder: I notice on two occasions when I downloaded a PDF from a web portal, it saved it under Network. Obviously, that is not where I want it to go. In Settings > Storage > Change where new content is saved, it just shows the C drive. There is no drop down menu. Is there a way...
  5. Default Folder View

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View: I want to Set a default Folder View for all folders. I get the instruction: 1. Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout setting. Where is that folder? I don't care if they are General...
  6. Default Folder Views

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Folder Views: Hi, could someone explain why the default for most folders and subfolders is the Icon view and why its so hard change that view to something else permanently? For instance My Pictures, you can right click My Pictures / customize / "optimize this folder for general items"...
  7. Folder view not saving

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder view not saving: I made a screenrecord for your understanding. Sendvid - Instant video upload 18513
  8. Cannot create the desired default view in "save file" folders.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create the desired default view in "save file" folders.: I have corrected Windows Explorer to only show list view of all my folders. However, this does not affect the dialog box that comes up when saving a file to a folder. How can I correct this? Kindly use all layman's language. Thanks! 66747
  9. Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10: How to: Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10 How to Set a Default Folder View for All Folders in Windows 10 [img] Information While browsing folders in File Explorer, you can apply the view settings of the current folder to all folders on your PC that...
  10. Default Folder View?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View?: Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened. 9521