Windows 10: Windows 10 doesnt activate after upgrading with USB installation media

Discus and support Windows 10 doesnt activate after upgrading with USB installation media in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have created Windows 10 USB installation media using the Media Creation Tool and used it to upgrade to Windows 10, however when the upgrade is done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ktm583, Aug 3, 2015.

1. ktm583 Win User

Windows 10 doesnt activate after upgrading with USB installation media

I have created Windows 10 USB installation media using the Media Creation Tool and used it to upgrade to Windows 10, however when the upgrade is done Windows 10 will not activate and says" Key has been blocked". I started the upgrade process from within Windows 7( I did not boot from USB). I also selected to skip updates because my internet is really slow i'm just trying to get through the upgrade to activate and clean install. I also selected to only Keep personal files because when I tried 5 times to keep personal files, apps and settings it kept getting an error and reverting to Windows 7.

The error code is get is 0xC004C003

How can I get Windows 10 to activate?

:)

ktm583, Aug 3, 2015

2. I can't activate my windows 10 after clean installation

I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1 home. after upgrading I had windows 10 home single language which was successfully activated but when I did a clean installation of windows 10 after upgrading , I cant activate my windows 10 . it gives an Error
    code: 0xC004C003 . i didn't even enter any product key during installation because I already had read that windows 10 activation doesnt involve product key . i did not use media creation tool , since my disk was GPT format type and media creation tool was
    unable to install windows 10 on any partition of that particular disk. instead i used Rufus tool and windows 10 home iso. please help

PiyushKshisagar, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Windows 10

So after I upgrade to windows 10 then make my USB media drive then reinstall and do a clean install will my copy of windows still Activate or will I have to buy another Product key to Activate it. And under what file do I copy the Installation files to
    my USB after windowns 10 has been download to my computer

Paul DavidBacker Jr, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Borg 386, Aug 3, 2015
  5. ktm583 Win User
    Ok, It did activate the upgrade after about 30 mins, but now I have another problem.

I did a clean install now it well not activate and it has been about 24hrs. Any solution to this problem?

ktm583, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    Borg 386, Aug 4, 2015
  7. ktm583 Win User
    On Windows 7 since I would not be upgrading from I Microsoft account should I wait until the end of the process( Win 10 clean install is activated) or the beginning( during setup of Win 10 Upgrade) to link my Microsoft account?

ktm583, Aug 5, 2015
  8. ktm583 Win User

Hey guys I have an update for you. I was having problems with my clean install activating as well even after I made sure that the upgrade activated. So I went back to Windows 7 and then I restarted the whole process and now its working. In both stages, upgrade and clean install, it was already activated when I checked it. It has been a couple of days since I've done it and it has not been revoked or any thing.

Heres what I did, I'm not sure if anything I did here made a difference but the end result was good:

1. Rolled back to Windows 7, in my case I had cloned my permanent drive to a temporary one before starting the upgrade process.

2. Checked for and removed device from Microsoft account. When I checked my Microsoft account the computer showed up twice, I removed them both.

3. Upgrade to Windows 10:
    Before doing this I uninstalled my antivirus.
    I upgraded by using USB installation media that I created using the Media Creation Tool. I launched the Setup application from file explorer.
    During the upgrade process I choose to NOT to do updates, NOT keep anything and did not link my Microsoft account(stayed with local).
    When the upgrade was done, I checked activation and it had already activated.

4. Clean install Windows 10: I
    I started my clean install 30secs after seeing the upgrade had activated, have seen some posts saying to wait a couple days even at this stage to insure clean install activates.
    I started clean install by booting from the same USB installation media I used to upgrade.
    During install I choose to clear all existing partitions and again NOT do updates or link my Microsoft account.
    When clean install was done, I checked activation and it had already activated, then I linked my Microsoft account.

ktm583, Aug 9, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Microsoft also admitted yesterday or the day before that they had problems with their activation servers and would have it fixed within 48 hrs. Your activation problems may have gone away because Microsoft fixed their servers.

NavyLCDR, Aug 9, 2015
  10. Gates007 Win User
    I contacted Microsoft yesterday as I have the same error and same steps on clean install (Win8.1 --> upgrade to 10, confirmed activated -> clean install --> error). They IM Chat from the MS tech support person indicated to wait another 24 hours as it was a known issue. Error code: 0xC004C003

Gates007, Aug 9, 2015
  11. Dally Win User
    I upgraded on Aug 4th and it wouldn't activate so I can't do the clean install, on the 6th I called they said it would take another 24 hours and now it's the 9th. I've lost a little faith in them now *Sad same code as well. Error code: 0xC004C003

Dally, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 doesnt activate after upgrading with USB installation media - Similar Threads - doesnt activate upgrading

2. Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation: Hi. I downloaded a windows 10 media installation using USB. I followed the installation instructions but it boots back to the media installation page again and again after installing it. Please help. I need to work on the laptop. Your replies will be appreciated. Thanks in...
  3. Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation: Hi. I downloaded a windows 10 media installation using USB. I followed the installation instructions but it boots back to the media installation page again and again after installing it. Please help. I need to work on the laptop. Your replies will be appreciated. Thanks in...
  4. Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. USB is disabled after installing windows 10 media

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB is disabled after installing windows 10 media: Hello, I have installed windows 10 media on USB and after the installation, I encountered with an error which I can not remember what it was about. I tried to reinstall the media but it can not find the USB. The USB is not even available on computer or on any other device...
  6. mywebcam doesnt work after upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mywebcam doesnt work after upgrade to windows 10: webcam doesnt work after upgrade to windows 10 i have followed all guidance in Microsoft support - none worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mywebcam-doesnt-work-after-upgrade-to-windows-10/ac1e5053-c2b7-46c5-b2c0-2c8ae0c422f7
  7. Creation of Installation media for WIndows 10 in USB

Creation of Installation media for WIndows 10 in USB: Currently, I had to clean install everything after the SSD upgrade. But I couldn't create Installation media in a USB drive. Every time i try to create the installation media it says not enough space. I'm running Linux and tried to create USB installation media with...
  8. Cloning a Windows 10 installation USB media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning a Windows 10 installation USB media: Question for all you Windows 10 vets, I have made a Windows 10 installation USB media and I need to clone the USB to 5 more USB keys. This is so I can update 6 PC at one time from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. I am using StarTech Standalone 1:5 USB Flash Drive Duplicator...
  9. Installing windows installation media to a USB.

Installing windows installation media to a USB.: I'm using a friends laptop to install windows to my new SSD, by installing the boot media to a USB. However, in the installation steps, after I select the USB/DVD option, instead of it giving me the option to select which drive to install it to in my case the USB it simply...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....