Windows 10: windows 10 doesn't use the startup folder

Discus and support windows 10 doesn't use the startup folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a started folder here C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup it contains all shortcuts which must be launch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chok, Sep 2, 2017.

1. chok Win User

windows 10 doesn't use the startup folder

I have a started folder here C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    it contains all shortcuts which must be launch (for current user). But they don't. (I deleted the folder, created a new one, inserted the shortcut, did not work)

when I run shell:startup it get an error ("can't find"). I'm confuse

in task manager, the startup tab contains nothing ("there is no startup items to display")

in regedit these keys contain some app that needs to be launch (diffrents apps listed there. I'm confused about which does what):
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Startu pFolder
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

How can I force windows to detect/use the startup folder? Or is there a way to reset all that mess, so I would just have to put my shortcuts into the startup folder to make it work? (Eg: Should I delete all these registry entries?)

That one might help: yesterday I made an error. I created a new user guest account, and it started to launch everything (same apps than the main account). I did not know there were 2 startup options (for all user and current user), so by mistake in task manager, I disabled every apps (I set the guest account as "admin" to do that, then put it back in "local"). So I guess it disabled "all user" startup apps. I'm now trying to make the current account startup work.

No the startup folder isn't working anymore for the main profile (I don't care anymore about the guest account)

ps:
    (For all user, I also have a startup folder here C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup but I don't care about this one)

:)

chok, Sep 2, 2017

2. Autostart a program in Windows 10

Since Windows 10 doesn't have a Startup Folder, how do I make a program auto-run at Startup?

Big Dog Big Feet, Sep 2, 2017
  3. The Startup Folder No Longer Functions in Windows 10

The Startup folder is still valid in Windows 10. But if your program tries to run elevated by default, then it would't run from Startup folder; scheduler must be used instead.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 2, 2017
  4. chok Win User

Edit (I can't edit my own post anymore...):

running shell:common (startup for all) works (it opens C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp )

but running shell:startup (startup for current user) give an error (can't find). But using explorer I can open it in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

chok, Sep 2, 2017
  5. lmaneke Win User
    The startup folder works fine on my computer. Very odd you're having issues. Hmmmm

lmaneke, Sep 2, 2017
  6. chok Win User
    I found that:
    But it doesnt says how I could restore the apps I disabled, and why both startup folders don't work anymore to launch apps

And by the way, the app I need to launch doesn't run as admin (people struggle because of that)

edit: for all user the path was wrong: it's C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    But it still doesnt work. There is a bug: each time I put a startup folder it add a "-copy" after the name, (hidden items are shown). Strangley the "copy" doesn't appear in the folder name, only in the explorer "url field". It seems there is a hidden startup folder I can't see, (and a bug with the folder name).

(feedback: it's a pain to don't be able to edit my posts at any time.)

chok, Sep 3, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I've not had problems Editing my replies or even Deleting them. The Edit is at bottom right of your post.

Berton, Sep 3, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Maybe not a bug, perhaps there's some corruption in the ntfs structure. I'd check the drive for errors before going any further. In an admin command prompt, type:
    chkdsk C: /f

This will schedule chkdsk to run at the next restart.

Bree, Sep 3, 2017
  9. Callender Win User
    1. You need to create the shortcuts rather than copying them into the folder. Or you could cut and paste a shortcut.

2. Really those shortcuts need to be elevated.

windows 10 doesn't use the startup folder [​IMG]

See:
    Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10

Edit:

shell:Startup should point to %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Also check the two registry locations shown here and compare with yours.

Callender, Sep 3, 2017
  10. mrgeek Win User
    "1. You need to create the shortcuts rather than copying them into the folder. Or you could cut and paste a shortcut."

This is exactly correct. The best way is to go to the folder with the exe you want in the Start folder, then r-click the exe/Create shortcut' and put it on the desktop when prompted that it can't be placed in the same folder. Then cut&paste the desktop shortcut to the App data/Start folder. This is what I do this for several programs that I want run at startup each time.

mrgeek, Sep 3, 2017
  11. chok Win User
    I warmly thank you all for your amazing help. You are awesome!

@Callender I started with your recommendation since I must first make the shell:startup working.

I checked both keys:
    + Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    + Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    They pointed to a wrong startup folder( C:\Users\Me\Music\Startup Music does not contain the startup folder ...)
    So I changed the path (in another key I found with the path above) to: C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then I rebooted, but running shell:startup still throw the error ("can't find")
    I guess there is probably one or several keys I need to change, but which one?

Here is the copy bug (it's a bug since the name should be the same in the explorer url field and in the folder name)

12. Callender Win User
    You should look here:
    + Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    + Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Then change entries for startup to

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

and not to:

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Callender, Sep 3, 2017
  13. chok Win User

@Callender
    I did it for both keys, but shell:startup does not work ("can't find" error)
    @Bree solution: chkdsk C: /f (scan error) didn't work

thanks for your patience!

14. chok Win User
    you need to delete the startup folder and creating a new one **using cmd (as admin)**

Details here:

Thanks for your help!

Thema:

1. windows 10 doesn't use the startup folder - Similar Threads - doesn't startup folder

2. Startup application doesn't startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup application doesn't startup: Hi there,I'm wanting Discord to startup when I start my computer. It used to startup and open when I started the computer / logged in. But all of a sudden it never does and I have to manually start it. I have tried running Windows + R then shell:startup and adding the discord...
  3. Startup application doesn't startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startup application doesn't startup: Hi there,I'm wanting Discord to startup when I start my computer. It used to startup and open when I started the computer / logged in. But all of a sudden it never does and I have to manually start it. I have tried running Windows + R then shell:startup and adding the discord...
  4. Windows 10 User Startup Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 User Startup Folder Missing: Multiple installations of Windows 10 Professional do not have the "Startup" folder present in the "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder. All of the systems were installed in the same manner with the "Startup" present on some but not all....
  5. Windows 10 User Startup Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 User Startup Folder Missing: Multiple installations of Windows 10 Professional do not have the "Startup" folder present in the "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder. All of the systems were installed in the same manner with the "Startup" present on some but not all....
  6. Program in Startup folder not starting on startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Program in Startup folder not starting on startup in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows maintains a list of programs that can launch themselves as soon as you log in to the system. It comes in handy for those […] This article Program in Startup folder not starting on startup in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Startup folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Startup folder: Hello. As you can see in the picture, I have some programs enabled and disabled to automatically start when Windows boots up. Everything works perfectly fine, however I find it really strange that both Startup folders are completely empty. I would like to delete disabled...
  8. Startup folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup folder: I cannot find the startup folder on windows.. i have tried typing shell:startup but it says that windows could not find it... 80525
  9. Folder Opens on Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Opens on Startup in Windows 10: This Folder opens on Startup in Windows 10: C:\Windows\System\Speech How do I stop this? I looked under Start>All Programs>Startup.....Not there. Thanks.............Bill 47011
  10. Startup Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup Folder: With Windows 8.1 under All Programs there is a folder called Startup. If I want to start a program when I boot up, I drop and drag a shortcut to that folder. If I want to stop the program from starting I remove the shortcut from this folder. If I want to edit the file I...