Windows 10: Windows 10 DPI Scaling with Multiple Monitors

Discus and support Windows 10 DPI Scaling with Multiple Monitors in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo T450s as my primary machine issued to me at work. It has an Intel Integrated Graphics Card and a 1920 X 1080 screen. I have two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by greyfox55, Jan 3, 2016.

1. greyfox55 Win User

Windows 10 DPI Scaling with Multiple Monitors

I have a Lenovo T450s as my primary machine issued to me at work. It has an Intel Integrated Graphics Card and a 1920 X 1080 screen. I have two additional monitors, a 28 inch 4K Samsung, and a 24 inch 1080p Samsung. I have the following DPI settings.

Laptop Monitor - 100%
    4K Monitor - 150% (anything lower and it is completely unusable, everything is super tiny)
    24 inch 1080 - 100%

If I set my Laptop screen as my primary screen the laptop screen and the 24 inch 1080 monitor look share, but most apps look fuzzy, sometimes somewhat noticeable, other times it is very noticeable when moved to the 4K monitor with DPI scaling set at 150%.

The opposite happens if I set the 4k monitor as the primary monitor and restart. Then the 4K monitor looks very sharp and clear. However then the laptop screen and 24 inch 1080 monitor look fuzzy and blurry.

Visual Studio 2013, SSMS 2014, Chrome are the application that are bothering me the most right now. There are a small number of apps like Edge that seem to work fine regardless of whatever the DPI settings are.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? Any possible solutions? I was excited to see Windows 10 added per monitor DPI scaling and claimed to fix the issues with DPI scaling on Windows 8 when having multiple monitors of different pixel densities. However from what I've seen they really haven't fixed much.

:)

greyfox55, Jan 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Blurry Text on laptop as Secondary Screen

Hey everyone,

I just ran into a problem in windows 10 relating the DPI scaling. At the moment my current setup is an LG monitor (100% DPI scaling) as my main monitor and my razer blade 2015 laptop (250% DPI scaling) being my secondary monitor. I noticed that if I have
    this configuration the text on the laptop looks blurry but if I change the setting to make my laptop as my primary display and the monitor as my secondary everything looks fine, no blurry text on any of the monitors.

I must mention that the resolutions are on both screens at their recommended value ( LG - 1920x1080, Razer Blade - 3200x1800)

Any solution to this?

Thanks.

Adrian Bindiu, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling

An issue with DPI scaling arises when using two different scaling factors. The screen with the lower DPI display is fuzzy/blurred (most easily seen in text).

Hardware and settings

These are the hardware and settings involved:

• 1x primary 3840x2160 27" monitor with DPI scaling set to 150% (because regular text is unreadable at 27").
    • 1x secondary 1920x1080 24" monitor with DPI scaling set to 100%, displaying blurry text and images at these settings.
    Workarounds

When I use the same DPI scaling on both monitors the display shows correctly. This gives two undesirable workarounds:

• Setting 100% DPI scale on the UHD screen fixes display, but makes text unreadably small on this monitor.
    • Setting 150% DPI scale on the HD screen fixes display, but makes text so large I barely have any screen space left on this monitor.
    Is there per chance a better solution to this problem? Is this a Windows bug or am I using DPI scaling in the wrong way?

EDIT: Here's the system info from dxdiag just in case.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/14/2015, 13:09:59

Machine name: -

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1_st1.151104-1714)

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/09/14 21:30:44 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8112MB RAM

Page File: 5936MB used, 3454MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

Herman Groenenboom, Jan 3, 2016
  4. Windows 10 DPI Scaling with Multiple Monitors

Hi, i am having the same issue here. I set my 1080P monitor as my main monitor, and 4K monitor as a second monitor.
    Only Edge works fine when you dragged from 1080P monitor to 4K monitor. It looks super sharp on both monitors.
    But when I drag a word document from 1080P to 4K to edit, it looks so blurry. Not only the contents in the word document itself, but the word application itself becomes blurry. Chrome has the same issue like you said. I noticed another issue, when you try to use some third party tools to capture a picture, it cannot keep my open stuff at their original location, everything becomes shifted. It is so annoying that win 10 still cannot fix this issue.

I tested on my Mac running 10.9.5 and everything works perfectly. With Chrome, Word, any software works like it should be when you drag around from this display to another display. I mean, OSX 10.9.5 is like two years earlier OS than win 10, but can handle the 1080P and 4K monitors perfectly. After all, M$ is still not as good as Apple. Anybody find a solution how to deal with the 1080P and 4K monitors issue on Win10? Please let us know, we appreciate it. *Smile

wangdakang2008, Jan 16, 2016
  5. orei Win User
    orei, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 DPI Scaling with Multiple Monitors

1. Windows 10 DPI Scaling with Multiple Monitors - Similar Threads - DPI Scaling Multiple

2. Windows 11 - Scaling issues with multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Scaling issues with multiple monitors: I have two monitors connected to my laptop that are different sizes and resolutions. When I change the scaling, everything is huge on the smaller monitor and extremely tiny on the larger one. This results in both monitors being unusable. The icons and text on the larger...
  3. Display scaling issue with multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display scaling issue with multiple monitors: I'm using my Thinkpad x260 at 125% scaling, and have an external monitor at 100% scaling (both are FHD monitors). If I set the external monitor as the main display, all Windows notifications pop up at the 125% scaling on the external monitor, and are weirdly cut off (not just...
  4. Resolution & DPI scaling on 32inch monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resolution & DPI scaling on 32inch monitor: I've got a 32inch monitor, using Windows10. I'm unable to reduce app size and content to less than 100% scaling. Apps are huge and take up lots of real estate on the screen but I am unable to make smaller. Windows 10 version does not let you adjust below 100% Unable to...
  5. How to Set Custom DPI Scaling For Dual Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Set Custom DPI Scaling For Dual Monitor: Hello everyone. I want to set my first monitor's dpi scale to 134%. And second monitor to 100%. But I couldn't do it. So, windows only offers me 134% for all monitors or (100-125-150-175-200) for first monitor and (100-125-150-175-200)% for second monitor.(Only presets)...
  6. DPI scaling on the second screen?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    DPI scaling on the second screen?: Windows 10 Anniversary... I can go to 150% scaling in PRIMARY and MIRROR but when I use only the secondary screen (it's a TV) the DPI scaling is disabled... why? 63249
  7. Scaling with multiple monitors

Scaling with multiple monitors: Hi there, I've got a 15 inch Dell laptop with 4K screen. Using the Dell docking station, I'm running 2 external monitors connected over DP ports (LG's 2560*1080 and Dell's 1920*1080) - both external screens run at their respective native resolutions in the extended desktop...
  8. Multi monitor DPI scaling issue

Multi monitor DPI scaling issue: Hi, I've got a 4K monitor and a 1920x1200 monitor hooked up but the current "solution" for separate DPI scaling seems flawed. If I set the 4K monitor as my main display and set it to 200% scaling with the 1920 display set to 100% what seems to happen is that windows...
  9. Blurry 2nd Monitor when using different DPI scaling

Blurry 2nd Monitor when using different DPI scaling: My main monitor is 2560x1440 and my 2nd monitor is 1920x1080. When I set both to 100% or 125% scaling they both look fine. If I set my main monitor to 125% and my 2nd monitor to 100% the 2nd monitor is blurry. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to fix it?...
  10. High DPI scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling: Hey, I bought a 4k screen yesterday and I have this annoying issue with scaling. In 100% I can't see anything, so the solution is windows scaling. The issue is that a lot of programs doesn't work well with this method and makes the app almost unusable. Example:...