Windows 10: Windows 10 dropped file type association (reboot helped)

Discus and support Windows 10 dropped file type association (reboot helped) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This may have been a temporary glitch, but yesterday I opened File Explorer to get a PDF file I had stored away. I found the file, but the Adobe logo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cpmusic, Dec 28, 2015.

1. cpmusic Win User

Windows 10 dropped file type association (reboot helped)

This may have been a temporary glitch, but yesterday I opened File Explorer to get a PDF file I had stored away. I found the file, but the Adobe logo that normally appears next to it (I used the Details view) was missing, replaced by a blank white rectangle, and when I double-clicked the filename, nothing happened. I had been viewing PDF files earlier in the day without problems, but suddenly, it wouldn't work.

I rebooted the machine and the file type was set right, but I have a feeling I haven't seen the last of this problem. I didn't look specifically for the problem with other apps, but I have a mix of PDF and other types in the root Documents folder, and it seems to me that all the other files in that view were missing app logos, as well.

Has anyone else seen this?

:)

cpmusic, Dec 28, 2015

2. Windows Firewall advanced settings not opening

See whether importing the .REG file for the MSC file type from
    here
    and then rebooting helps.

RobertJWin, Dec 28, 2015
  3. How do I DISassociate a file type in Windows 10?

Hi,

Delete the .dat and then make the file I specified and use MERGE. Be sure to

reboot afterwards.

Does the program you associated it with have a setting to specify file types?

Apps may track associations different than desktop programs.

You can use Option 1 here to reset all file associations.

How to Restore Default File Extension Type Associations in Windows 10

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/restore-default-file-type-associations-in-windows-10.7770/

This also should work on Windows 10 - be sure to export the key before use.

How to Restore Default File Extension Type Associations in Windows 8 and 8.1

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8486-default-file-associations-restore-windows-8-a.html

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Dec 28, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 dropped file type association (reboot helped)

1. Windows 10 dropped file type association (reboot helped) - Similar Threads - dropped file type

2. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  3. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  4. default file type association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  5. File type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  6. Associating applications with file types

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Associating applications with file types: I have two applications that will open a particular file type- an older and a newer application. Files tend to open with the older, less useful application; to get the newer app with the better functionality I need to Right-click the file and select "Open With" from the...
  7. File type associated with App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File type associated with App: I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and...
  8. Default file type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default file type association: Hi! On Win 10 I want to change default file extension association to an exe file, but the system doesn't allow it. It happens with other extensions and programs too, but now specifically I wanted to associate the standalone version of flash player to .swf extension. It...
  9. Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan): Please look at the following picture: [img] Most of the folders that I work with on a regular basis contain files like this. However, as you can see, I usually sort all of my files by "type" in Windows 10 File Explorer so that it's easier for me to separate my files....
  10. Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Apps for File Type Associations in Windows 10 A default app is the program that Windows uses automatically when you open a particular file type or protocol. Default app associations...