Windows 10: Windows 10 Dual Boot & Activation

Discus and support Windows 10 Dual Boot & Activation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; (Note: Could figure out a way to either move or such a post from a different section to here... sorry!) Although I suspect I know the answer, trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Windowz10 Win User

Windows 10 Dual Boot & Activation

(Note: Could figure out a way to either move or such a post from a different section to here... sorry!)

Although I suspect I know the answer, trying to verify for sure what is causing my activation issue. Pertinent facts:

1) Computer was originally and still is Windows 7 Pro on the main C Drive. Fully activated for over a year with constant updates - no issues.
    2) Used the MS Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to create a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 Pro installation files on it.
    3) Successfully booted to the USB drive and installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive in the same computer. However, during the early states of the installation it rejected my known-good key. Therefore I use the skip button to proceed and complete the installation.
    4) After the various initial minor updates and a few reboots, have a Win10 running when I boot to that drive. (Obviously not fully updated since not activated).
    5) Dual boot selection works fine.

Each time I attempt to activate Windows 10, I get the error 0xc004f050. Have tried unsuccessfully to get it to accept my key.

My suspicion is that because I am dual booting, unlike other people that upgraded on the same drive, there is no way for the activation process to verify things on my own computer, and if it's contacting Microsoft the Activation servers might be seeing that the key is already activated against "another computer". The cpu, motherboard, and network interface card are the same as the original activation- only the drive being used is different.

My hope is that someone here will have encountered the problem with dual boot systems, perhaps in the tech preview, and know of the proper solution.

Thanks!

PS: With Win10 there doesn't seem to be a way to 'phone for activation' and I suspect it won't matter anyway since it might just 'turn off' activation against my windows 7 installation....

:)

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  2. birlak Win User

Dual boot windows 10 with windows 10 by upgrading win 7

I was running dual boot of windows 7 and windows 8.1 for long time. I have upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 since 6 months.

No issues as such. My purpose of dual boot is i solely use the windows 7 for my kid's gaming & other activities, so that he doesn't mess up with the other OS. Now, I would like to upgrade the windows 7 to windows 10 as well. Is dual boot of windows 10 and
    windows 10 possible in first place and will there be any issues in doing so?

birlak, Jul 29, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Dual Boot & Activation

1. Windows 10 Dual Boot & Activation - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Activation

2. Dual boot Wiindow 11 and Windows 10 activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot Wiindow 11 and Windows 10 activation: Hello everyone,I recently ordered a cheap and underpowered Chinese tablet with Windows 10, but it came with Windows 11 instead. The OS is fully activated, and the system is fully up to date, but Windows 11 is heavy for this device even when the Celeron processor is in the...
  3. Dual boot Wiindow 11 and Windows 10 activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Wiindow 11 and Windows 10 activation: Hello everyone,I recently ordered a cheap and underpowered Chinese tablet with Windows 10, but it came with Windows 11 instead. The OS is fully activated, and the system is fully up to date, but Windows 11 is heavy for this device even when the Celeron processor is in the...
  4. Dual boot Wiindow 11 and Windows 10 activation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 dual boot: I have Windows 10 dual boot on my Acer Nitro 5 PC. 1st SSD has as OS Windows 10; 2nd SSD has as OS Windows 10 optimized for audio recording. When I shut down the PC and reboot later, the first boot bypasses the GRUB and boots straight to the last OS used. I then restart, the...
  6. dual boot windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot windows 10: Hi,I have windows 10 dual boot now running with windows 7.I want to start a 3rd dual boot entry. This will be a clean install of windows 10 on the same computer on a different HD. So I will have 2 versions of windows 10.I then want to slowly migrate to this new clean install....
  7. Dual Boot windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual Boot windows 10: Hello after a lot of research i didnt find any solution to my problem. I wanted to make a second clean windows boot option to install some programms because i felt my old disk was getting overloaded.I downloaded easybcd 2.4 and made a boot menu for 2 windows, it all seemed to...
  8. Windows 10 / dual boot..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 / dual boot..: My system drive got corrupted and would not boot, and of course no backup.. There were files I wanted to keep on the drive so I installed a new drive.. I still had the old drive connected when I installed Windows 10 on the new drive.. Through this process, I ended up with a...
  9. Dual Boot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Windows 10: I have dual booted both windows 10 on my one solid state drive. They are both the professional edition and are version 1909. My question is I thought you could only activate ONE copy of windows on one pc. I have two Windows installations on my one ssd. Why is it that both of...
  10. Windows 10 Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Dual boot?: I have heard that because of windows 10, you cannot dual boot. 1- Can you dual boot with Ubunto or Linux Mint? 2- If yes, must they be set in a partition alongside the Windows partition. Thanx 92289