Windows 10: Windows 10 Dual Boot UEFI Missing or Shared Partitions on SSD2?

Discus and support Windows 10 Dual Boot UEFI Missing or Shared Partitions on SSD2? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dual Boot W10 + W8.1 installs using 2 SSDs. Any thoughts on why there are less partitions on SSD install #2? SSD 1 W10 (installed first) C Drive:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Centurino, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Centurino Win User

Windows 10 Dual Boot UEFI Missing or Shared Partitions on SSD2?

Dual Boot W10 + W8.1 installs using 2 SSDs. Any thoughts on why there are less partitions on SSD install #2?

SSD 1 W10 (installed first) C Drive:

- Recovery
    - System
    - Reserved
    - Primary

SSD 2 W8.1 (installed last)

- Reserved
    - Primary

Am I right in saying that install/SSD 2 shared the (Recovery, System) UEFI boot partition and that this is not good if I remove SSD1?

How do you prevent this on SSD #2, by physically removing SSD #1 when installing OS #2?

Appreciate any help.

:)

Centurino, Apr 11, 2016

2. Grub 2 does not detect windows partition by osprober

Dear Don Cuthbert,

Thanks for your help.Since I was used to first dos partition to boot either windows or linux in dual boot on bios systems I thought UEFI just records the address to point to windows or linux sector for booting. Thought Microsoft system bootloader partiton contains
    all files for booting and rest of files in windows 10 basic partition. As linux hanged on upgrade from Fedora 26 to Fedora 27 I wanted to delete UEFI which I thought is a UEFI linux loader as I am used to efibootmgr in Fedora and wondering why the osprobe
    is not recognising windows.My basic thinking for GPT UEFI was wrong as I thought it just records the pointer to windows or linux.

But now you made the concept clear. Now I am sure I will be able to dual boot windows 10 and Fedora 27 with this help.

Really appreciate your help.

Dr Nagalkar

Dr. S. D.Nagalkar, Apr 11, 2016
  3. GPT MBR

I see. I tried dual booting in uefi mode but there are so many issues regarding booting so I experimented on my partitions and messed up. So I installed windows again deleting all partitions.

Neil OliverEbarat, Apr 11, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, the only way to ensure that a clean install of Windows will not affect any other hard drives/SSDs with system partitions on them is to disconnect them when installing Windows to the drive you want it exclusively on. Unplugging either the data cable or the power cable is good enough.

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2016
  5. Centurino Win User
    Core lesson there, thanks a lot for confirmation, appreciate it.

Centurino, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Dual Boot UEFI Missing or Shared Partitions on SSD2? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot UEFI

2. Windows 10 doesn't boot from UEFI after deleting some partitions, Kubuntu dual boot. Error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 doesn't boot from UEFI after deleting some partitions, Kubuntu dual boot. Error...: Hi, hope you are doing well.I use mainly Kubuntu, and have a Windows 10 from when I got the laptop. The laptop has a SSD and a HDD, both OS are on the SSD, the HDD is for personal data.Before getting the laptop, it had a Windows 8 in the HDD didn't have an SSD. The SSD was...
  3. Windows 10 doesn't boot from UEFI after deleting some partitions, Kubuntu dual boot. Error...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 doesn't boot from UEFI after deleting some partitions, Kubuntu dual boot. Error...: Hi, hope you are doing well.I use mainly Kubuntu, and have a Windows 10 from when I got the laptop. The laptop has a SSD and a HDD, both OS are on the SSD, the HDD is for personal data.Before getting the laptop, it had a Windows 8 in the HDD didn't have an SSD. The SSD was...
  4. Windows 10 doesn't boot from UEFI after deleting some partitions, Kubuntu dual boot. Error...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Missing boot logo UEFI

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Missing boot logo UEFI: Hi, I want to ask my fresh copy of windows is not showing the boot logo or the DELL logo does not appear after boot with my ubuntu GRUB 2.04 how do I fix this even when winning boot manager, it first does not appear. How do I fix I'm getting scared...
  6. Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition

Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition: Hi so I have had a Windows 10 install on my PC for around 3 years and wanted to try the new Windows 10 insider builds and so I created a separate Windows 10 install on another drive in my PC so it doesn’t conflict with my main Windows 10 install however the new install has...
  7. Dual booting from UEFI system

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual booting from UEFI system: I just purchased a new pc that comes with windows 10 home and uses UEFI for booting. I have a disk image of windows 7 from my old pc which used BIOS. I want to restore that image to a GPT disk partition and then setup a dual boot. Is this possible? How do I go about setting...
  8. Dual Boot Windows 10 using uefi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual Boot Windows 10 using uefi: I have 30 computers and want to run two labs with software products that are not compatible. Drive 1 has a windows 10 image and software A. Drive 2 has a windows 10 image and software B. When I boot into bios I see the two hard drives and can select either Drive 1 or 2...
  9. Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI

Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI: Hello World I install W10 & ubuntu in dual boot on my new computer. I want to use Windows boot loader instead of GRUB. It is in UEFI so I can not use easy BCD, and I have to use easy UEFI. But I am completely lost I can not find clear info. This is the objective: [ATTACH]...
  10. Problems dual booting Windows 7/10 (UEFI?)

Problems dual booting Windows 7/10 (UEFI?): Hi all, This is my situation: Running Windows 10 x64 on a UEFI-system. Trying to install Windows 7 x64 on a VHD for dual booting (such as in http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...8-using-a-vhd/) I running into troubles that I think are having to do with UEFI. Secure...