Windows 10: Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.

Discus and support Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I had Windows XP on my hard drive for a long time, created a separate partition and installed Windows 10. (both 32 bit). Windows 10 is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by davexnet, Nov 30, 2016.

1. davexnet Win User

Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.

Hi all,
    I had Windows XP on my hard drive for a long time, created a separate partition and
    installed Windows 10. (both 32 bit).

Windows 10 is working fine, it set up the dual boot menu where I can also select
    Windows XP ("earlier version of Windows").
    Problem is, in XP, I've been getting some strange crashes in programs I've run for years. For example,
    Firefox, avast anti-virus and Tmpgenc mpeg encoder. A thing in common based on the diagnostics I've been
    able to gather, is program exception illegal operation.

I've been scratching my head, when I got the idea to temporarily restore XP's boot loader and boot it directly.
    Once I did, all the problems stopped and it was working normally again. Later ran Windows 10 RE and did the "startup
    repair" to re-implement the Windows 10 dual boot menu, and sure enough, the problems in XP resumed.

Does anybody have any thoughts or theories as to what may be happening?
    Any idea's appreciated

Thanks -
    \

:)

davexnet, Nov 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 'Dual-boot'

When I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 10 all my files were saved despite information to the contrary. The upgrade went well and I am happy as I get to grips gradually with Windows 10. However I have one problem - dual booting. The upgrade automatically
    gave me a dual boot system with WIN10 being the primary OS boot with XP as an option. The problem is that I am now treated as two users users and this is contravening my licence for Office 2010. I have no requirement for dual booting but cannot find any
    method of removing the XP option when booting. Can anyone help?

retired techie, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Age of empires II won't work via windows 10

I suggest for old games, dual boot with XP and Windows 10

DUAL BOOT

Hardcore Games™, Nov 30, 2016
  4. telepro21 Win User

Hello davexnet,

From your description, it does sound like the different Windows boot loaders are affecting the operation of your dual-boot system.
    Have you considered the use of a stand-alone 3rd-party boot-loader?
    Perhaps this approach would permit Windows XP and Windows 10 to operate properly. The chart here offers some idea as to what is available--> Comparison of boot loaders - Wikipedia

telepro21, Dec 1, 2016
  5. davexnet Win User
    Thanks for responding, I will study that list and see if one of them may work. Regarding the error I saw "illegal operation".
    In my mind that either means some corruption in memory occurred and the processor tried to execute some garbage,
    or it was a real instruction but it was not supported on the processor or OS.

I posted a similar question at the forum of the EasyBCD product (those guys know a lot about dual booting)
    and I got one response from a guy who thought the problem was "very interesting" and he suggested the options
    PAE or NX may be involved. I did some testing but I couldn't resolve it.

davexnet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems. - Similar Threads - dual boot problems

2. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  3. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  4. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP: Hello, can someone tell me how to dual boot Windows 10 with Windows XP ? or if you can provide a link with the complete tutorial. At this moment on computer windows 10 is installed, but this is not a problem. Because I can format hard drive, and if needed i can install...
  5. windows dual boot between 10 & XP

windows dual boot between 10 & XP: hello everyone! *Smile i'm new here just coming over from sevenforums *Roflmao2 anyway i hope sumone maybe able to give me a quick fix to this mess... ok here's the deal...I;ve got 2 partitions on 1 hard drive.....one is windows 10 installed on C: and the other is windows XP...
  6. XP dual boot with W10

XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  7. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  8. Dual boot Windows 10 with XP

Dual boot Windows 10 with XP: Hi all I have recently purchased an OMEN 880 (win 10 home edition pre-installed),with 2 empty bays on top for extra hard drives and I would like to know if it's possible to install the hard drive from my Asus into one of these bays, then dual boot. I have read on the...
  9. Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10

Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Home on my PC and I'd like to dual boot Windows XP on top of windows 10. But how to do that since after XP, Windows 10 MBR will be lost. 25724
  10. Windows 10 and windows XP dual boot problem

Windows 10 and windows XP dual boot problem: Hello, I recently upgraded my windows 7 to 10. I had XP installed also. After the upgrade i couldn't boot from XP anymore(but it was showed on the boot list) so reinstalled it. Now windows 10 doesnt appear in my boot list so i cant boot from it anymore. Any ideas how to make...