Windows 10: Windows 10 DVD Player

Discus and support Windows 10 DVD Player in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I noticed that the Windows 10 DVD Player was released by Microsoft. However... why is it asking me to pay $14.99 for it? I upgraded from Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by drfsupercenter, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Windows 10 DVD Player

So I noticed that the Windows 10 DVD Player was released by Microsoft. However... why is it asking me to pay $14.99 for it? I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate (so I have 10 Pro), and I had read that it would be free to those customers.

:)

drfsupercenter, Aug 12, 2015

2. Toshiba Satellite C855-1TD updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now DVD drive pops open and says there is no disc in the Drive. How do I fix this?

It seems that Windows 10 did not have DVD player software on release. This has created conflict with the manufacturers DVD players software. In my case this is Toshiba. On install of Windows 10 it has corrupted the Toshiba DVD player and broken it. In
    Windows 8.1 I have installed the VLC Media Player and also installed new DVD player hardware (the tray). This makes the DVD work as usual but the Toshiba DVD player software still no longer works. It claims it is missing a .dll file. I am going to try and
    re-install Windows 10 and see if the DVD player with VLC Media Player installed works or if Windows 10 also breaks this. I hope this is useful.

Simon Bulgacs, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Lillyrc Win User
    I have windows 10 but my dvd player doesn't work.

I have windows 10 but my dvd player doesn't work. I tried to purchase the Windows 10 DVD player but said it was not compatible with my dvd player.

Lillyrc, Aug 12, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Windows 10 DVD Player

Windows DVD Player

I'm pretty sure it is only free for an upgrade installation. If you subsequently do a clean install the product is no longer free as MS servers are unable to link it your original license. (This is all from memory, so I could be wrong on this)

WhyMe, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Going by your quote, I'm inclined to say that something is definitely funky here.
    I have a legit Windows 8 Pro + Media Center key that I tested out in a brand new install inside a virtual machine...

Windows 10 DVD Player [​IMG]

Confirming that I DID have Media Center on there before the upgrade. And I did do the upgrade, not a clean install.

You can see here that it's activated post-install, but still wants me to pay $15!

And no, it's not installed already...

6. WhyMe Win User
    It should appear via windows update a little while after the upgrade according to MS

Take a look here

WhyMe, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Not the point. I was just asking about the official one.

And interesting. I ran the updates manually and it showed up. And it's not tied to my Microsoft account at all so if I uninstall it from the VM there's no way to get it back for free... great. I guess I'll just buy the app so I can use it on all my computers when I upgrade them to 10 as well.

8. bobjoe Win User

Windows 10 DVD Player

WHY?????

First of all, all these "apps" in Windows 8 and 10 are garbage.

Second of all, this Windows DVD Player "app" specifically is HORRENDOUS. It's glitchy, buggy, and doesn't work for certain movies.

Third, I highly highly suggest you download VLC, like someone else suggested. It's 10000000x better than Windows DVD Player, and it's completely free.

You will be wasting $15 for something that doesn't work right.

bobjoe, Aug 13, 2015
  9. Again, I wasn't posting on here to ask for opinions on the software, I just wanted to know why it wasn't showing up for free for me.

VLC sucks, while it supports almost every filetype its interface is annoying and it doesn't deinterlace DVDs automatically (or at least it didn't the last time I use it.) And I have MPC-HC, but that sometimes freezes and spazzes out on DVDs too. In Windows 7, truly nothing was better for playing movies than Windows Media Player.

And like some of the reviewers have pointed out, other commercial software is a lot more than $15. Stuff like PowerDVD, WinDVD, and so on are $50+ so it's really not *that* bad of a price to pay. The benefit is that it's now tied to my Microsoft account and when I eventually upgrade my other machines I can just download it on there for free.

drfsupercenter, Aug 13, 2015
  10. bobjoe Win User
    Look. I upgraded from W7 Home Premium, and I also got Windows DVD Player. It didn't appear instantly after I upgraded, nor did it appear after I checked for updates in Windows Updates. It's not instant. It takes a few days.

And no, VLC does NOT suck. The interface might not be the best, but who cares? I'm using it to watch a movie fullscreen, not edit images. I don't care what the interface looks like. As long as I can set it to fullscreen, that's all that matters. Don't you think?

Yes, but it's $15 for a garbage "app" that doesn't function properly. Just read the reviews, or go online and do some research about its flaws.

I seriously cannot believe someone is actually PAYING for Windows DVD Player... I hope you're joking, I really do.

bobjoe, Aug 13, 2015
  11. Dch48 Win User
    MPC-HC is far better for playing DVD's than VLC is. VLC actually is pretty bad at everything compared to MPC-HC. It's not as good as WMP for music and video either.

Dch48, Aug 13, 2015
  12. XweAponX Win User
    $14.99? I'd do it, if might go up to a hundred bucks like MCE did for Windows 8.1.

As far as VLC, the desktop version is the best player. MPC-HC is pretty good, but not as good as VLC, plus VLC has a lot of apps that can hook into it for control or content, like VLC Streamer and VLC Remote for both Droid and iOS. MPC-HC has no remotes or other helper apps, VLC can play any content from any location, can stream Subtitles, sorry, VLC kicks arse..

Unless you are thinking of the VLC for Windows 10 app, which is better than the one they made for 8, but it still sucks. No, stick with the Desktop Versions, always.

XweAponX, Aug 13, 2015
  13. y0himba Win User

Windows 10 DVD Player

Links?

y0himba, Aug 13, 2015
  14. Dch48 Win User
    Links? LOL Personal experience is all that's needed.

Dch48, Aug 13, 2015
  15. y0himba Win User
    I meant a link to the player?

y0himba, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 DVD Player

1. Windows 10 DVD Player - Similar Threads - DVD Player

2. DVD Player NOT recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Player NOT recognized: I recently built my own custom PC. I have been trying for the longest time to get my DVD's to play and to get the DVD drive to show up. I have verified that my HDMI cord was still good, I even went to the depths of getting a adapter where I can plug in the HDMI cord and It...
  3. DVD Player NOT recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD Player NOT recognized: I recently built my own custom PC. I have been trying for the longest time to get my DVD's to play and to get the DVD drive to show up. I have verified that my HDMI cord was still good, I even went to the depths of getting a adapter where I can plug in the HDMI cord and It...
  4. DVD Player NOT recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DVD Player NOT reconzied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Player NOT reconzied: I recently, built my own custom PC but for the longest time I have been trying to get my external DVD player to work. I have the DVD player plugged in, hooked in via HDMI cord to my PC. I even got a cable where I plugged it into this adapter and It plugs In VIA USB.Why after...
  6. Windows / Windows 10 / Apps / Windows DVD Player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows / Windows 10 / Apps / Windows DVD Player: How to stop auto renew of DVD player. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-windows-10-apps-windows-dvd-player/68a39b54-197f-4989-8000-d23839e46432
  7. Windows / Windows 10 / Apps / Windows DVD Player

Windows / Windows 10 / Apps / Windows DVD Player: How to stop auto renew of DVD player. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-windows-10-apps-windows-dvd-player/68a39b54-197f-4989-8000-d23839e46432
  8. does the windows dvd player burn DVDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does the windows dvd player burn DVDs: i need to be able to copy my home movies that are on dvd to the computer and then burn to new dvds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-windows-dvd-player-burn-dvds/701c33f4-4c32-41f4-b3a5-e18488367019
  9. does the windows dvd player burn DVDs

does the windows dvd player burn DVDs: i need to be able to copy my home movies that are on dvd to the computer and then burn to new dvds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-windows-dvd-player-burn-dvds/701c33f4-4c32-41f4-b3a5-e18488367019
  10. the DVD player is displaying distorted images How to fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the DVD player is displaying distorted images How to fix it?: the DVD player is displaying distorted images How to fix it?***Move from Microsoft 365 and Office / Other / For business / Other*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-dvd-player-is-displaying-distorted-images-how/6ea693bb-98a4-429b-b9bb-263fc47a0c7a