Windows 10: Windows 10 Education edition

Discus and support Windows 10 Education edition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an OEM license Windows 7 Home Premium and I upgraded to Windows 10 Home during initial period of Windows 10 free upgrade. My questions are:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kongming, Dec 26, 2017.

1. kongming Win User

Windows 10 Education edition

I have an OEM license Windows 7 Home Premium and I upgraded to Windows 10 Home during initial period of Windows 10 free upgrade.
    My questions are:
    (1) Can I upgrade again to Windows 10 education edition from Windows 10 Home provided by my university volume licensing? It is free upgrade and permanent license even after I graduate.

(2) When I successfully upgrade to Windows 10 education from Windows 10 Home and the activation states that it is successfully activated, I immediately do a clean installation from my USB flash drive Windows media creation tools. Is it correct?

Thank you

:)

kongming, Dec 26, 2017
  2. Marc Cai Win User

cortana not present

Hi,

To answer your query, for security reason, Cortana has been disabled in
    Windows 10 Pro Education and Windows 10 Education editions. Check this article for further information:

Windows 10 editions for education customers.

Regards,

Marc Cai, Dec 26, 2017
  3. How will I upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Education Edition?

How will I upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Education Edition?

Original Title: Upgrade to Education Edition

ConnorH_700, Dec 26, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Education edition

If you change your product key in Windows, it should unlock the benefits that come with an Education Windows license. No need to then reinstall.

Masterchiefxx17, Dec 27, 2017
  5. kongming Win User
    I do a clean installation by using Windows media creation tool ( Windows 10 Education edition ) with the same Windows 10 Education product key next time. Am I correct?

kongming, Dec 27, 2017
  6. If you would like to do a clean install, then yes. You could use the tool and activate your Education key.

Masterchiefxx17, Dec 28, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    As I understand it (@Superfly may be able to say more) the university's volume licencing of Windows 10 Education would use a Key Management System (KMS) for activation. This means the key you'd have would the generic key for Education and activation is renewed periodically by contacting the university's KMS server. Once you leave university and can no longer contact the servers the activation would expire.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 Education product keys are not KMS. They activate through the normal retail activation channel and store a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Education on Microsoft Activation Servers just like Windows 10 Pro does.

Windows 10 Education edition [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Dec 28, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Thanks for that clarification. The OP did say through "my university volume licensing..." though, so they'll have to make sure it's a retail key they get.

10. Superfly Win User
    Yup, the MSDNAA(is it still called that?) keys are Retail and will be valid even after graduating. The only proviso is that they are not sold (or even given away)

I still have a bunch of them (for Win 8/8.1) (and I graduated few years back) and they still work... 'till Dooms Day (31/12/2017 that is....as we are led to believe *cry )

Your Win 10 key is all good tho'

All Win 10 keys get Digital Licences now - so once that PC has been activated with the key no further need for it.

As an aside .. As a test of DL, I activated no less that 2 VM's thus far with my host's firmware OEM key - go figure! So much for PC specific... DL's seems carte blanche.

Superfly, Dec 28, 2017
  11. I do believe Education can be Volume License KMS activated like Pro can. It's listed under my Visual Studio Subscription, for "Windows 10 (multi edition) VL ISO'. I can get MAK keys for it, which usually means, its also Volume Licensed. I can't get VL keys with my subscription level, I get MAK keys instead, like for Enterprise that can normally only be VL activated.

My MAK keys get a DL, but I do believe any PC that is actually Volume License activated with an actual KMS key won't get a DL. They will show as "activated via your companies activation server". And activation will time out if contact with the KMS server is lost.

alphanumeric, Dec 29, 2017
  12. Superfly Win User
    Hey Alpha

There are KMS generics for Education Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys

The Academic Alliance are all Retail however...

.. and hope you have a Super New Year!

Superfly, Dec 29, 2017
  13. Windows 10 Education edition

Ah, OK, I'm with you now. And a happy new year to you to. =)

alphanumeric, Dec 29, 2017
  14. kongming Win User
    Microsoft Imagine states that there is a free upgrade from original Windows 10 Home/Pro to Windows 10 Education edition permanently licensed like the first year of Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 8/8.1/7.

kongming, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Education edition - Similar Threads - Education edition

2. Education edition of windows, but my student account was deactivated. How to install a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Education edition of windows, but my student account was deactivated. How to install a...: I can't seem to find an answer for this via Google search, so here I am casting my voice into the void.I got a license for an education edition of Windows 10 a few years ago and I've been signing into it via the student account set up with my university. Now that the...
  3. Education edition of windows, but my student account was deactivated. How to install a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Education edition of windows, but my student account was deactivated. How to install a...: I can't seem to find an answer for this via Google search, so here I am casting my voice into the void.I got a license for an education edition of Windows 10 a few years ago and I've been signing into it via the student account set up with my university. Now that the...
  4. Education edition of windows, but my student account was deactivated. How to install a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Errors when upgrading Windows edition on laptop from Home to Education edition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Errors when upgrading Windows edition on laptop from Home to Education edition.: Hi,For reference: I am using Windows 11 home edition on ROG Zephyrus G14 and I am in Canada. I got my keys using my student account on Azure portalI am trying to upgrade the Windows on my laptop from the OEM home edition to the Education edition. I have two keys: one key for...
  6. Errors when upgrading Windows edition on laptop from Home to Education edition.

Errors when upgrading Windows edition on laptop from Home to Education edition.: Hi,For reference: I am using Windows 11 home edition on ROG Zephyrus G14 and I am in Canada. I got my keys using my student account on Azure portalI am trying to upgrade the Windows on my laptop from the OEM home edition to the Education edition. I have two keys: one key for...
  7. Changing from oem windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 education pro Edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing from oem windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 education pro Edition: Hi,I need to change the operating system Windows 10 Pro which was provided by the PC vendor as the default OEM os. However, because I want to set it up as a Kiosk, I would need to change the OS to the Windows 10 Education Pro edition.Is this possible? Does it incur additional...
  8. Changing from oem windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 education pro Edition

Changing from oem windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 education pro Edition: Hi,I need to change the operating system Windows 10 Pro which was provided by the PC vendor as the default OEM os. However, because I want to set it up as a Kiosk, I would need to change the OS to the Windows 10 Education Pro edition.Is this possible? Does it incur additional...
  9. Changing from oem windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 education pro Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Minecraft Education Edition Download

Minecraft Education Edition Download: I am a teacher who would like to install MEE in my computer lab. Our district blocks Microsoft Store, so I am trying to find a download installation file. Can you help?...