Windows 10: Windows 10 Explorer and Start Menu Locking up every 15 minutes

Discus and support Windows 10 Explorer and Start Menu Locking up every 15 minutes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, everyone I just clean installed the Windows 10 AU update on the 4th of August because I was a victim of the classic shell Trojan on August... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by topazcat, Aug 20, 2016.

1. topazcat Win User

Windows 10 Explorer and Start Menu Locking up every 15 minutes

Hello, everyone

I just clean installed the Windows 10 AU update on the 4th of August because I was a victim of the classic shell Trojan on August 2nd. Now ever since I reinstalled the Windows 10 AU update, Windows Explorer and my entire task bar/start menu freeze on me every 15 minutes. When happens I cannot open the start menu or click any of my icons. The only temporary fix is killing explorer and restarting it. I am really confused why this is happening because none of this occurred with the 1511 November update. I have 16 GB of RAM, A 2 TB Hard Drive and a Nvidia 950 GTX Graphics Card. It happens with UWP apps like Sonic Dash and Win32 ones like VLC.

If anyone knows anything about this or if you are experiencing this please let me know
    Thank you for all of the help I appreciate it. *Smile

:)

topazcat, Aug 20, 2016

2. Taskbar locks up after recent update

I also have the same problem right after the Windows 10 Anniversary update. The taskbar and action center will lock up when receiving text and other message notifications. Every few minutes they would lock up and I would have to restart the Windows Explorer
    for it to work. Then, they will lock up again after receiving another notification. Microsoft Edge would also locks up every few minutes. Other browsers seem to have no problem.

TienVo_311, Aug 20, 2016
  3. Spyder5 Win User
    file explorer crashes in windows 10

files explorer crashes every 15 minutes for no reason.

Spyder5, Aug 20, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi topazcat and welcome to Tenforums.

Sorry to hear you got caught on that infection. For future, or anyone else reading this thread, a fix is demonstrated in this thread:
    Audacity & Classic Shell Download Server Hacked by PeggleCrew.

Now, on to your problem:
    Have you run SFC /scannow?
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If you get a result other than "no integrity violations found", please run it up to three times, with reboots in-between, making sure Fast Startup has been turned off first.
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If, after three scans you still have problems, please try the DISM tool:
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Aug 20, 2016
  5. topazcat Win User
    Okay I ran SFC/ Scannow Three times and turned off fast startup. Each time I ran SFC it said no integrity violations found. My system still locks up though. I notice it more when notifications in the right hand corner are supposed to pop up on the screen and they don't like when playing a song with VLC. What should I do next? Thanks

topazcat, Aug 20, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Okay. Let's leave Fast Startup off for now.

Open an Administrative Command Prompt by right-clicking the Start button, and enter
    Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth[/quote] After it's finished, type
    Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth[/quote] Please report the results, or post a screenshot of the window.
    See here for the tut:
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Aug 20, 2016
  7. topazcat Win User
    After it's finished, type
    Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth[/quote] Please report the results, or post a screenshot of the window.
    See here for the tut:
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums[/quote] Here are the results

Windows 10 Explorer and Start Menu Locking up every 15 minutes [​IMG]

Should I try reinstalling VLC next?

topazcat, Aug 21, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

I know you said it happened when using VLC Player - have you uninstalled it at this point?

simrick, Aug 21, 2016
  9. topazcat Win User
    Okay So I uninstalled VLC and reinstalled it after deleting all existing settings for clean application install. The issue is still occurring. VLC to is a must have application that I use everyday. Do you have any other reccomendations that I can try? Thanks again for all the help. Maybe somehow I can log my system to watch what happens during the lockups.

topazcat, Aug 21, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    A fresh install of VLC didn't work. This is a strange one. You're sure all your drivers are up-to-date? Have you checked in Device Manager, right-clicking one by one, your sound and video devices, and checking online for updates? I'm not sure what else to do. It was working fine before you clean installed W10 - very strange. Sorry I'm not helping much, am I....

simrick, Aug 21, 2016
  11. topazcat Win User
    I looked in device manager and checked Windows Update. I have the latest drivers for everything. Even though it didn't work out that's okay. Thanks anyways. *Smile

topazcat, Aug 21, 2016
  12. Wynona Win User
    TopazCat, where did you download VLC from? If you got it from the Microsoft Store, it should be OK, or if you got it from the official site, VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! it should be OK.

If you got it anywhere else, that could be your problem, but not necessarily.

Edit: The same thing for Sonic Dash or anything else you got from anywhere but the official site and/or the Store.

Wynona, Aug 21, 2016
  13. Wynona Win User

Another thought:

Have you installed anything from a Flash Drive, CD or DVD that may have gotten infected by writing from the infected OS? Did you download and save from the old OS?

And, just because you get a clean bill of health, doesn't mean something's not there.

The only thing left to do if none of these things works is another clean install, making sure that you've disinfected everything you use.

Wynona, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Explorer and Start Menu Locking up every 15 minutes - Similar Threads - Explorer Start Menu

2. Why is cmd popping up almost every 10 to 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is cmd popping up almost every 10 to 15 minutes: I'm having massive troubles with my computer, I am unable to update anything even using the iso file and the cmd keeps popping up. This started around the time I updated system once a couple weeks back and downloaded a game but later removed it.I ran the Disk and sfc command...
  3. Why is cmd popping up almost every 10 to 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is cmd popping up almost every 10 to 15 minutes: I'm having massive troubles with my computer, I am unable to update anything even using the iso file and the cmd keeps popping up. This started around the time I updated system once a couple weeks back and downloaded a game but later removed it.I ran the Disk and sfc command...
  4. Suddenly started getting BSOD every 15 minutes or so

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly started getting BSOD every 15 minutes or so: XML down below, it seems to be happening at random, i cant access the dump because it fails everytime i get the BSOD- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"...
  5. Suddenly started getting BSOD every 15 minutes or so

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Suddenly started getting BSOD every 15 minutes or so: XML down below, it seems to be happening at random, i cant access the dump because it fails everytime i get the BSOD- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"...
  6. BSOD Every 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Every 15 minutes: Good afternoon,My computer has been getting blue screens for quite some time and I feel like I've tried everything I can possibly think of. I even got to the point where I completely wiped everything clean and reloaded windows and I'm still getting crashes every 15 minutes. I...
  7. BSOD Every 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Every 15 minutes: Good afternoon,My computer has been getting blue screens for quite some time and I feel like I've tried everything I can possibly think of. I even got to the point where I completely wiped everything clean and reloaded windows and I'm still getting crashes every 15 minutes. I...
  8. Windows 10 takes 15 minutes to start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 takes 15 minutes to start: You will see this problem posted all over the web on various support forums MS or not. As with most windows problems, these are the solutions you will see run sfc/dism disable unnecessary background processes update drivers It is true that you do need to use sfc/dism...
  9. Windows Crashes Every 10-15 minutes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Crashes Every 10-15 minutes: Every time I try and do something that worked perfectly fine yesterday get a BSOD with the stop code memory management. I’ve never had a problem with this before. I’ve reseated my ram, didn’t fix anything. I’ve tried to run diagnostics that don’t even finish before the...
  10. Monitor is off every 10-15 minutes.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor is off every 10-15 minutes.: I am using two monitors for my desktop PC. One of the monitors is automatically off every 10-15 minutes, and is automatically back on about 10 minutes. How can I fix this problem ? Your help will be appreciated. Michael...