Windows 10: Windows 10 Explorer.exe high CPU and memory usage when copying files

Discus and support Windows 10 Explorer.exe high CPU and memory usage when copying files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently upgraded both my PC to Windows 10, and whenever I copy large amount of files (or analyzing large amount of files before copying), with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cliffly, Sep 9, 2015.

1. cliffly Win User

Windows 10 Explorer.exe high CPU and memory usage when copying files

I recently upgraded both my PC to Windows 10, and whenever I copy large amount of files (or analyzing large amount of files before copying), with explorer.exe uses a massive amount of CPU (~50%) and memory (~up to 3 GB). System process also uses a lot of CPU (fixed memory leak by disabling superfetch). Before the upgrade I ran Windows 7 without this issue. See attachments for screenshots.

System drive is Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256 GB. Data drive includes both SSD and HDD. Problem does not depend on which drive data is copied from/to, and persists when copying at 10 MB/s to an NAS.

Problem persists even after file copy task is cancelled. Only restarting explorer.exe fixes it, but then it happens again if I copy files again.

In Task Manager - explorer.exe - go to details - analyze wait chain:
    If copying files locally: "explorer.exe is running normally"
    If copying files to NAS via ethernet: "explorer.exe is running normally"
    If copying files from SSD to SSD: "One or more threads are waiting to finish network I/O"

Have spent hours searching and tried a bunch of things that did not work:
    -Updated graphics card and network card driver to latest from official websites
    -Found and cleaned one malware using Malebytes Anti-Malware
    -Turned off superfetch in services.msc
    -Disabled Runtime Broker by turning off "Show me tips about Windows"
    -Disabled sharing Windows Update with PC on Internet
    -Manually increased page file size from 5 GB (determined by system) to memory size (16 GB)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

:)

cliffly, Sep 9, 2015

2. HELP! explorer.exe keeps crashing. [Windows 10]

About every 10 to 20 seconds explorer.exe causes my disk usage to reach 100% and subsequently crashes and restarts. I haven't been able to access my control panel, the app store, or windows explorer without it crashing and closing whatever it is I'm viewing.
    I've ended explorer.exe using task manager to see if it was something else that was causing the high disk usage but when I did that memory, disk, and CPU usage we're within a normal range.

WalterMitchellYG, Sep 9, 2015
  3. WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

Hi,

Glad you reached out. First, we would like to know if Explorer.exe
    is the only cause of high CPU usage. Because the common cause of high CPU usage are the following:

- Windows 10 Memory leak after the update.

- Driver incompatibilities after the update.

- Multiple startup applications

We'll be waiting for your update.

Richard tie, Sep 9, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

It could be a file corruption problem. Are you transferring one large file or a group of separate files?

If it is several files, try transferring them individually. If the individual transfer is fast for some files then the file corruption issue could be the cause. All you need is one corrupted file for a full batch transfer of files to come to a grinding halt.

Snakeyes, Sep 11, 2015
  5. cliffly Win User
    It was a large batch of files. It does not matter which batch and where it is copied from/to.

cliffly, Sep 13, 2015
  6. killless Win User
    Same problem here.
    1) Disabling Windows defender and indexing sped up copying 3 times.
    2) After copying is done explorer.exe is stuck using about 40% of the CPU
    3) Killing Explorer.exe instantly reduces CPU utilization to 1%.
    4) I also have samsung 850 SSD

killless, Sep 15, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    Hi

As stated before this may due to data corruption.

An option to consider to fix data corruption:
    • Open an elevated Command Prompt (admin)
    • Run sfc /scannow
    • Do this 2 or 3 times or longer (until it finds no more errors)
    • Make sure that each and every time sfc has finished running, you reboot immediately after

Edit: this is for @killless too (welcome to the forum *Smile )

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  8. killless Win User

I read lots of threads about high cpu usage by explorer, 95% of the users had samsung SSD 840 or 850. (and so do I)
    My other Win10 computer does not have problems.

I did not install Samsung Magician and when I did Magician hanged.
    Version 4.7 did not work either it failed to detect OS etc... As far as I know it does not support Win10 at this time.
    Long after copying ended, files I copied were being read in the "backgroup", links were updated in recent files and roaming was going crazy...
    Eventually CPU utilization dropped to 1%, all this activity went away...
    Can I just copy files without Microsoft doing 100 other things I don't need?

killless, Sep 16, 2015
  9. AveYo Win User
    Yes. By using a competent file manager like Total Commander / alternatives.

AveYo, Sep 16, 2015
  10. teededung Win User
    I have same problem. explorer.exe load 100% CPU when I browse file from computer on chrome.
    Copy file, open image file too.
    My SSD is Samsung 850 pro *Sad

teededung, Nov 4, 2015
  11. Same problem, but with new details.
    I kill Explorer.exe and replaced it with Explorer++.exe.
    While transferring files from HD to external HD, the program eats all memory. Interestingly, it does not happen during a long transfer (= large file) but while a series of files is being copied. Pausing the copy eliminates the problem.
    I thought of a virus hooked in the API, so I wrote a small C program to repeatedly read two TXT files. What happened? Nothing.
    I'm out of guesses.
    Check the image:

Windows 10 Explorer.exe high CPU and memory usage when copying files [​IMG]

koscianski, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Explorer.exe high CPU and memory usage when copying files - Similar Threads - Explorer exe high

2. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  3. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  4. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. High memory and cpu usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    High memory and cpu usage: Never had this happen to me before. My memory and cpu usage is higher than normal, task manager says that my memory usage is 60% on idle. It's usually about 20 or 30, my cpu is 10% on idle and it spikes to 60 sometimes. When I open a game or browser they get significantly...
  6. high memory usage by file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high memory usage by file explorer: file explorer is taking 3300mb ram for no reason, normally it takes 60mbs, but 3gb is a lot, i normally play minecraft at 500fps, now whenever file explorer takes 3gb ram it goes to 20, thats literally in any game not just minecraft, but file explorer doesnt take any memory...
  7. high memory usage by file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    high memory usage by file explorer: file explorer is taking 3300mb ram for no reason, normally it takes 60mbs, but 3gb is a lot, i normally play minecraft at 500fps, now whenever file explorer takes 3gb ram it goes to 20, thats literally in any game not just minecraft, but file explorer doesnt take any memory...
  8. Fix msedgewebview2.exe High CPU and Memory usage on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix msedgewebview2.exe High CPU and Memory usage on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]The ‘Details’ tab in the Task Manager enlists a large number of processes that run in the background of your PC. In Windows 11 is this one particular process named ‘msedgewebview2.exe’ which people are concerned is consuming too much unnecessary CPU memory and...
  9. Windows Explorer CPU & Memory usage ridiculously high

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer CPU & Memory usage ridiculously high: Lately Windows Explorer has been running at 98-100% cpu usage for the Windows Explorer process and like 5GBs of RAM being hogged by it, for no reason. This is all at idle. I've tried restarting the process, restarting my laptop, updating the laptop, SFC scan & DISM repair....
  10. Windows Explorer High CPU and Increasing Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Increasing Memory Usage: Hi, I have an issue with my clean 1809 install (and also it happened before the clean install, and i decided to try a clean one due to it). After a few minutes, the Windows Explorer process starts increasing its memory usage and also CPU is around 10%; i'm up to 2gb usage...
Tags: