Windows 10: Windows 10 extremely slow on startup

Discus and support Windows 10 extremely slow on startup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a 256 gig SSD with 88 gig free (not part of the profile). I upgraded to Windows 10 two weeks ago. Everything seemed fine until Monday morning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ellary, Aug 19, 2015.

1. ellary Win User

Windows 10 extremely slow on startup

I have a 256 gig SSD with 88 gig free (not part of the profile).
    I upgraded to Windows 10 two weeks ago. Everything seemed fine until Monday morning when it went into repair mode on startup. I had to reinstall from the media DVD.
    Afterward, when it started, it was so slow as to be unusable. I noticed almost constant disk activity (from the light on the case). Did a normal shutdown.
    Tuesday after startup the same thing happened. But about two hours later it was working normally. The Windows Update screen doesn't display, it just shows dots moving across it.
    Yesterday, same thing. My wife did a hard shutdown from the case. When I started it later after work same slowness, only now the start menu refuses to launch. Task manager shows a huge amount of reads/writes from various processes, Windows mostly but also others, including Windows Defender ( I have Norton 360 so I don't need Windows Defender but didn't think to disable it).
    Can someone please help?
    Thank you.

:)

ellary, Aug 19, 2015

2. Extremely Slow Startup

No you will not lose your data.

Zine eddine B, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Extremely Slow Startup

Hello,

At what boot phase did you experience the slowness, before you enter your credentials or after ?

If before, may be caused by an outdated driver. Try to update your drivers (Wifi card, Video, ...etc)

If after you logged in, may be caused by a network issue; if you have a Microsoft account, create a local account and see if it solve your problem.

It can also be caused by slow program or service startup ...

you can also, run these command to repair you image system, if somthing is corrupted:

- sfc /scannow

- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If none of this work, you can take a boot trace using Windows performance recorder Download and install the Windows ADK

Here is a tutorial on how to take a boot trace How To Use WPR To Record Windows Boot Process

When done, share your boot trace and I'll help you analyze it.

Zine eddine B, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Harpert Win User

Definitely there are issues between various Anti Virus systems and Windows 10
    I could not install Windows 10 with Avira running and now I needed to uninstall Avira completely to avoid constant warnings when I need to pickup files from HighTail or WeTransfer.

Windows Defender is supposed to do a decent job.... but I have never used it...

Good luck

Harpert, Aug 19, 2015
  5. ellary Win User
    But I did not have this problem for the two weeks prior after the upgrade. It just happened after the reinstall from the media DVD. And windows Defender is not the only process causing disk activity.

ellary, Aug 19, 2015
  6. Snakeyes Win User
    I'm not sure what brand of SSD you have, but on many older SSD's filling up to that capacity can choke its efficiency. The next time you have booted up, use Windows to optimize the SSD (basically invokes trim) and then leave the system on but unused for some time (overnight if possible). This will allow the SSD time to respond to the trim command and cleanup as well as allow its built-in garbage collection do its thing. If this works, I would suggest reducing the space used on the SSD.

SSD's unlike traditional hard disks should be secure erased before copying fairly massive amounts of data on top of existing data. What I suspect happened was: – the new install choked up the free 88 MB and then the SSD had to go through the far slower process of deleting nand and rewriting on existing used nand. It is still struggling to clean up the used nand.

Snakeyes, Aug 20, 2015
  7. ellary Win User
    That's very possible. However, I saw another thread where others had the same problem. They resolved it with a clean install.
    So I did that and formatted the drive. But after installing my graphics card software I lost the system tray and apps would launch but not display. I tried this 3 times, each time formatting the SSD first. But the graphics software somehow remained. I could see it when I right clicked on the taskbar. And if I tried to use it, like launching screen resolution, I lost the display like I did above. So I don't know how it could have remained if I formatted the drive.
    Today I will remove the graphics card and just try using the graphics from the mobo. If the graphics card software is still there I will see if I can uninstall it.
    If that doesn't work it's back to Windows 7.

ellary, Aug 20, 2015
  8. Snakeyes Win User

Formatting is not the same as secure erasing. I think you need to do that first .

Snakeyes, Aug 20, 2015
  9. Bazz Win User
    If you use a PCIE gfx card make sure the onboard chip is disabled in your bios.

10. Snakeyes Win User
    Depending on the brand off your SSD, most manufacturers, Intel, crucial, OCZ have specific software that is best used with their SSD's. They are generic tools that would also perform this process.
    Unlike hard drives where writes to the hard drive essentially overwrite old data, SSD's have to perform a two-step process that involves cleaning the NAND of old data before they can write on the NAND's. In most SSD's there is always enough clean NAND so that their speed is not affected. The trim command/Instruction for example helps the SSD identify NAND that has information on it and during idle periods the SSD performs a background cleaning of this NAND. Most SSD's also have a built-in garbage collection process that can perform the cleaning without the trim instruction, though not as efficiently.
    In your case, I suspect that the new install pretty much wiped out your free NAND and your SSD has to perform the erase and write function on additional activities. This can effectively and noticeably slow down it's performance. As crazy as it sounds, using less than 80% capacity on all SSD's is advised. Most modern SSD's have built-in excess capacity to help in this process, but massive writes associated with an OS install can overburden this excess capacity. Every time you format and reinstall an OS you are absorbing any free NAND and creating this bottleneck. Typically, one should secure erase an SSD before formatting and installing a new OS. That way, the SSD performs like new. Hope this helps. If you post the manufacturer of your SSD I might be able to direct you to the appropriate tool.

Snakeyes, Aug 21, 2015
  11. ellary Win User
    Thanks for the info. I called Adata support and they said the drive should not be a problem. I know about their toolbox. But I've successfully installed Windows 10 now. I'm in the process of reinstalling my apps.

I did have another problem that resulted in my removing my graphics card. After installing the current driver I lost the system tray from the display and apps would launch but not display on the monitor. I didn't think of this until after removing the graphics card, but is it possible the graphics card's driver thought my monitor was wider and was displaying windows to the right and off the screen?

ellary, Aug 21, 2015
  12. AEM
    aem Win User
    A lot if not nearly all people with high spec machines experiencing low W10. Not logical unless there is something wrong with the installing of the OS.

13. aelaan Win User

Step 1: Backup your data, and do that now and first before the next steps.
    Step 2: how many different profiles are on the machine? How big is the initial load? ALT-X -->System -->Advanced System Settings --> User Profiles. Also is there maybe a huge ISO sitting on your desktop? Remember your desktop is loaded partially into memory.
    Step 3: Start your machine, be it painfully slow, start msconfig and disable everything (you can do a Diagnostic Startup as well). Also stop all services in MsConfig Services tab. Click Startup Tab and disable everything there. - Reboot
    Step4: After reboot some of your settings might be off or look completely different, depending on if you are running any services that perform things like continuous scanning like some antivirus programs do. Why it only happened two weeks after, maybe because it was set to perform a full system scan on a schedule and you have a lot of zip files - it needs to unpack them and generate a signature.... Your bootup should now be faster, if not then there are bigger problems.
    Step 5: SSD - make sure hibernation and page file are off, also make sure your disk is trimmed optimally.
    Step 6: Only if the bootup times have returned to acceptable values start enabling the services and startup items, reboot EACH time after you enable one step to see if you can identify the matter. It could be as silly as a corrupted config or definition file (antivirus or even a desktop conf file).
    Step 7: There can be a problem with one of the memory sims, only to show up if you load up more than 4GB.
    Step 8: As you notice it is time consuming to perform these steps, so be patient, take lots of time (no rushing). Also it can frustrating too if people are waiting to use the laptop.... believe me I know.

aelaan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 extremely slow on startup - Similar Threads - extremely slow startup

2. Extremely slow startup & wakeup after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely slow startup & wakeup after upgrading to Windows 10: I saw there was subject about exact problem I recently had. Since I fixed it I want to help those who still didn't find solution. So I have HP DV7 laptop and after upgrading to Windows 10 it started to boot up so slow, precisely it shows Windows boot logo and after that is...
  3. Extremely slow startup & wakeup after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extremely slow startup & wakeup after upgrading to Windows 10: I saw there was subject about exact problem I recently had. Since I fixed it I want to help those who still didn't find solution. So I have HP DV7 laptop and after upgrading to Windows 10 it started to boot up so slow, precisely it shows Windows boot logo and after that is...
  4. Extremely slow startup & wakeup after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My Computer's Startup is extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Computer's Startup is extremely slow: Hi, so first I want to preface this with the fact that I'm not amazing with computers. My friend built mine and ever since I got it, I've been having problems like the computer running slow and the startup taking upwards of 20 to 30 minutes. I've tried everything I can think...
  6. Windows 10 is extremely slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is extremely slow: I have no idea why this is. I was running Windows 10 perfectly on my Dell Latitude E7440 but now everything just runs so slowly. I tried resetting my laptop twice but the same errors still persist?? I also attempted to modify the minimum and maximum amounts of ram Windows...
  7. Extremely Slow Startup

Extremely Slow Startup: Dell Inspiron 5759 16 gigs of RAM - plenty of disk space - start up takes 5-10 minutes I have completed all the normal stuff - updates, system file checker DISM, and anything I have read or heard of Both the system file checker and DISM says everything with the OS is good...
  8. Windows 10 extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 extremely slow: Hello, I have problem with my computer speed. It gets so bad that it take me 2min to press start-power-shut down when turning off computer shut be 3s thing. Laptop has intel core i5-4210U, 500GB (only 138 is actually used), 4GB of RAM. Windows 10 Pro is installed and without...
  9. Startup EXTREMELY Slow After Last Update

Startup EXTREMELY Slow After Last Update: Hi, I see a few people are posting black screens at startup - in my case that's what I thought I had but if I let it go for a few minutes it would eventually get to the login screen. At a few other times, I got to a blue screen saying I needed to use the Recovery tools. All...
  10. Extremely Slow and Random Startup

Extremely Slow and Random Startup: Hello, I have just run into an issue where I restarted my PC and for some reason, it would take forever to even load to the desktop where normally its 30 seconds. First I went ahead and did a few more restarts(had to force restart since start menu did not work). Each time...