Windows 10: Windows 10 failed install error C1900104

Discus and support Windows 10 failed install error C1900104 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am not the most computer savvy and had been putting off upgrading from Windows 8.1 home 64 bit to Windows 10 but I eventually gave in to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Magpie, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Magpie Win User

Windows 10 failed install error C1900104

I am not the most computer savvy and had been putting off upgrading from Windows 8.1 home 64 bit to Windows 10 but I eventually gave in to the pestering of Windows 10 upgrade messages and went about trying to upgrade. The Get Windows 10 report said that my PC was "good to go" with everything meeting requirements. My only worry was that elsewhere I had read that my C drive would need 16GB free and at the time of installing, my SSD C drive had only 14.5GB out of 111GB free. (I have a disc drive with 898GB of 931GB free too but I don't think that makes any difference to this). I first of all made sure that all other Windows updates were done and that my drivers were up to date.

Anyway, as Microsoft says it's fine, I went ahead updating with the Windows 10 app. It took about an hour to 100% complete the download part. It then went to preparing for installation and the wee green bar shuffled along till about a third of the way along and the next time I looked there was the EULA which I accepted. I chose to start the upgrade and then the smaller windows upgrade screen showed "Preparing for the upgrade" with a green band continually scrolling along and round. I left it for a while and it never changed. Left it for about 12 hours overnight and still the same. I tried to find out what might be the problem and found a suggestion that I should remove any unnecessary devices connected to the PC. I have a connection to my TV which I disconnected and then almost immediately the process stopped! The "Preparing for upgrade" and the Windows Update screens vanished!

There has been something downloaded (but I don't know what) as there are now only 8.76GB free so about 5.74GB has been used up. I checked the Windows Update history and it shows Upgrade to Windows 10 home, version 1511, 10586 failed. When I view the details, there is an error code C1900104 but Microsoft give no real help with this error.

I don't want to download again as I've precious little room left on the C drive now, so my only other option would be to try the Media Creation Tool. However, as I don't know if the problem has been lack of memory, the connection to the TV or something else, I am wary of trying this. Even if I can't upgrade this way, I'd still like to get my memory back but I don't know how to go about this either.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm not sure what parts of the process are the important ones and which are not. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Magpie, Dec 9, 2015

2. windows 10 pro upgrade failed

installation of windows 10 pro upgrade failed with error code c1900104.

can somebody help?

ashwani_yadav, Dec 9, 2015
  3. ajs1977 Win User
    Error code c1900104

I have been trying to install the free Windows 10 upgrade but it keeps failing. I get error code C1900104. Other updates are installing.

ajs1977, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 failed install error C1900104

1. Windows 10 failed install error C1900104 - Similar Threads - failed install error

2. "Windows 10 installation has failed", no error code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows 10 installation has failed", no error code: Been trying to update to 22H2 version of Windows 10, I tried the restart service solution and don't really want to perform a clean update.Everytime I ran the SFC/scannow in command prompt it says it fixed something but the issue still remains. I have also tried the...
  3. Windows 10 installation failed with no error code.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation failed with no error code.: I am currently trying to upgrade my computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, However, after at least four tries of getting this thing to work, which each of those being a consistent failure, I have decided to ask the forums here for help.P.S. My computer currently fits all of...
  4. Windows 10 installation failed with no error code.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installation failed with no error code.: I am currently trying to upgrade my computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, However, after at least four tries of getting this thing to work, which each of those being a consistent failure, I have decided to ask the forums here for help.P.S. My computer currently fits all of...
  5. Windows 10 installation failed with no error code.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 KB5001649 fails to install with 0x80070541 error

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5001649 fails to install with 0x80070541 error: Windows 10 KB5001649 update is now trying to make its way to version 20H2/2004 machines, but it apparently fails to install with 0x80070541 error code. This optional “emergency” update was issued earlier today to address Blue Screen of Death and other problems reported by...
  7. Fix Windows 10 installation has failed error

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Windows 10 installation has failed error: [ATTACH]If you’re encountering Windows 10 installation has failed error on your computer while upgrading to a newer version of Windows 10 or upgrading from Windows […] This article Fix Windows 10 installation has failed error first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Windows 10 installation "The installation failed in the second_boot phase with an error"

Windows 10 installation "The installation failed in the second_boot phase with an error": I'm trying to install windows 10 on my computer which is currently operating with windows 7. I've tried 4 times now and continue to get the same text box message: "The installation failed in the second_boot phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. What should I do?...
  9. Unexpected error failed installation (Windows 10)

Unexpected error failed installation (Windows 10): So I've bought a new PC (Windows 10) and with the first Start I get a message saying: "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation can not proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart...
  10. "Windows 10 installation has failed" error

"Windows 10 installation has failed" error: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 but no matter what I try I keep getting an "Windows 10 installation has failed" error. I've tried uninstalling the antivirus, using different DISM cleanup options, using the disk cleanup tool... The CBS log contain lines such as:...