Windows 10: Windows 10 failed update loop (KB3140743)

Discus and support Windows 10 failed update loop (KB3140743) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The update creating this issue: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140743) These are the steps of the loop: 1)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bradex, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Bradex Win User

Windows 10 failed update loop (KB3140743)

The update creating this issue: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140743)

These are the steps of the loop:
    1) My PC downloads this update automatically in the background. I have no option to stop my PC from downloading it.
    2) I am forced to install this update. There is no option for me to shut down/restart without having to install the update.
    3) During the restart, I get a notification that my PC was unable to complete the update and hence the changes are rolled back and the whole process starts again.

This thing has been going on for days, wasting my time and getting on my nerves.

Why is Microsoft so dumb?
    A) If at all my PC has downloaded an update, why don't they save it somewhere on my PC till the update process is successfully complete instead of downloading it again and again wasting my bandwidth?
    B) Why have they not given options to opt out of (downloading/installing) troublesome updates like this?
    C) Is there a solution to this issue?

Thanks!

PS: I have not asked this question in Microsoft answers because they give dumb answers without actually hearing out what the problem actually is. They post some random answer and mark it as the best answer themselves!

:)

Bradex, Mar 8, 2016

2. Cumulative Update for Windows 10

Yep, me too:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140743) failed to install 3 times over the last 24 hours - briefly gets stuck in a reboot loop.

sfc /SCANNOW found errors it couldn't fix so I'm guessing I have to reinstall the O.S?

As many people have said...I've never had such trouble with updates since Windows Vista.

Really not at all happy about doing a clean install.

Schweefter, Mar 8, 2016
  3. Fail Error Message on Update KB3140743

Fail Error Message on Update KB3140743, tried this update using the Microsoft Update Catalog and got a fail as well.

Is this update required?

Is there a solution to this problem.

Just did a clean install of Windows 10 48 hours ago.

StanleyLParker, Mar 8, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Bradex and welcome to Tenforums.
    Frustrating, I know...

Please try running clean boot, and see if the update will install that way.

If you want to wait it out for a while, there are a couple things you can do - but these disable WU completely, and I wouldn't recommend leaving things this way:
    Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Options 1&2 can be done only on a W10Pro system, while Option #5 can be done on both Home and Pro.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Here's another option to show/hide updates (hidden updates will not install):
    Windows Updates - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Not sure if you need to get the update installed first, then uninstall it and hide it (haven't had to do this myself yet). I think, as long as it's waiting in the wings, you can hide it.

simrick, Mar 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 failed update loop (KB3140743) - Similar Threads - failed update loop

2. Failed windows 10 update forcing into a loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed windows 10 update forcing into a loop: Hello,I have a Lenovo Ideapad 310 that got stuck on an update from 2019,once the update was downloaded i would let it install but the installation stayed ongoing for 3 days straight then it proceeded to attempt to restart i don't recall if that happened or if i manually shut...
  3. Failed windows 10 update forcing into a loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed windows 10 update forcing into a loop: Hello,I have a Lenovo Ideapad 310 that got stuck on an update from 2019,once the update was downloaded i would let it install but the installation stayed ongoing for 3 days straight then it proceeded to attempt to restart i don't recall if that happened or if i manually shut...
  4. Failed windows 10 update forcing into a loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Feature Update - Failing Loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Feature Update - Failing Loop: Hello,We are having some issues with a large number of our devices which fail to install the 20H2 Feature Update from 1909 they go around on what seems to be a continuous loop. The devices are within a health organisation as such some clinical systems only support up to 20H2...
  6. Windows 10 Feature Update - Failing Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Feature Update - Failing Loop: Hello,We are having some issues with a large number of our devices which fail to install the 20H2 Feature Update from 1909 they go around on what seems to be a continuous loop. The devices are within a health organisation as such some clinical systems only support up to 20H2...
  7. Windows 10 Feature Update - Failing Loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. KB3140743 fails to update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB3140743 fails to update: I am having an issue installing KB3140743 on my Windows 10 computer. At the suggestion of another user I am starting a new thread in the hopes that I can get this issue resolved. (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3140743) For reference here was the post I...
  9. Master Browser Issues fixed in latest W10 update (KB3140743)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Master Browser Issues fixed in latest W10 update (KB3140743): It looks to me as if the Network connectivity issues have been fixed in this latest cumulative update. I can see all my W10 PCs on the network from whichever device I use. Previously this was only possible via the PC that was designated as the Master Browser. 42655
  10. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3140743

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3140743: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3140743 Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 x64-Systeme (KB3139907) [img] Build String: 10.0.10586.122.th2_release_inmarket.160222-1549 Manually download: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...px?q=KB3140743 Direct...
Tags: