Windows 10: Windows 10 Fails Regular Boot, Safe Mode boot OK

Discus and support Windows 10 Fails Regular Boot, Safe Mode boot OK in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have a desktop Windows 10 x64 machine that's been working fine for months/years. It was automatically updated from Win7 last year. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by adish, May 16, 2017.

1. adish Win User

Windows 10 Fails Regular Boot, Safe Mode boot OK

Hi,

I have a desktop Windows 10 x64 machine that's been working fine for months/years. It was automatically updated from Win7 last year.

This morning I replaced the 2x4GB DDR3 memory with 2x8GB DDR3. This seemed to work though for some reason it works at 800MHz instead of the 1600MHz that the memory supports. The BIOS shows mem freq 1600 as expected. But this is the smaller issue. The PC worked booted fine.

When everything seemed to working as expected, I was still bothered by the slow startup and login times. Now with 16GB I had expected these times to improve.
    I installed Windows SDK performance recording tool and set it to record the boot sequence and restarted the PC.

Windows failed to boot twice (UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP) and went into the auto diagnostic repair mode. Restore just spins until I lose patience. I did manage to boot in safe mode and disable the recording. It did not help.

Running sfc/scannow "did not find any integrity violations".

I also managed to uninstall the Windows SDK/Perf Rec (by restarting the MSI service) - to no avail.

I ran the Windows memory test, but when it's done it reboots, the reboot fails, and I never did see the results.

I replaced the new RAM with the original ones, but this did not make any difference (BIOS setting are as they were originally).

I'm totally stumped!!

Please advise,

Thanks!!

:)

adish, May 16, 2017

2. safe mode

Hi David, I am Rob, a volunteer and a 10 time and dual award MVP specializing in Windows troubleshooting and Bluescreen analysis. Please remember as volunteers we are not responsible for the development of Windows or the computer hardware and drivers.

Start - type in --> msconfig ....... find "System Configuration" at top and Right Click on - Run as Admin

then Boot tab

Safe Boot - Apply/OK - then restart

To return to regular mode reverse that action.

This should help :

How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-i...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, May 16, 2017
  3. Windows 10 startup fails

This problem is ongoing. Summary:

• Netbook will boot Windows 10 ok if fast startup is enabled. Every so often fast startup fails
    • The netbook fails to boot Windows 10 if fast startup is disabled. I get the Window logo and a few seconds in, the netbook clearly powers down. This is not heat or a power supply problem, the unit will run all day once booted without a problem.
    • I have enabled Shift F8 to boot into safe mode. I get the Safe Mode menu screen but boot will fail whatever selection I make.
    • Clean Boot also fails in a similar fashion.
    • When running Windows 10 the netbook operates correctly and is quicker than on Windows 7.
    I would be grateful if people could point me in the right direction to diagnose the problem.

Many thanks

Stephen

StephenBleach, May 16, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello adish and welcome to TenForums *Smile

The recent crashes are all suggesting the ESET driver eamonm.sys might be a factor.

Code: BugCheck 1000007F, {8, ffff84001fc88b30, ffff840020108000, fffff8019ea3b196} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for eamonm.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for eamonm.sys[/quote] Try uninstalling the ESET remote admin software and see if this helps.

philc43, May 19, 2017
  5. adish Win User
    Thanks for the answer - how/where did you find this?
    Is there a tutorial somewhere about how to read those reports?

Anyway, uninstalling ESET did seem to do the trick and the computer booted properly.

Strangely enough, reinstalling it again from scratch causes the same BSOD problem.

adish, May 19, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Fails Regular Boot, Safe Mode boot OK - Similar Threads - Fails Regular Boot

2. Can’t boot safe mode, but can boot regularly?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t boot safe mode, but can boot regularly?: When I boot up safe mode, my screen is black and my computer is still running. Though, when I boot up my computer regularly it instantly loads up. My computer is running very slow, so I wanted to factory reset it, but it doesn’t seem like I can....
  3. Can’t boot safe mode, but can boot regularly?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t boot safe mode, but can boot regularly?: When I boot up safe mode, my screen is black and my computer is still running. Though, when I boot up my computer regularly it instantly loads up. My computer is running very slow, so I wanted to factory reset it, but it doesn’t seem like I can....
  4. Safe Mode fails and unable to boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Safe Mode fails and unable to boot.: While trying to install a new graphics card driver I selected via msconfig to reboot in safe mode. However upon rebooting came up with error : SYSTEM THREAD EXEMPTION NOT HANDLED - mssecflt.sys. Needless to say I used most of the advanced options and still no joy, meaning no...
  5. Windows fails to boot unless in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows fails to boot unless in safe mode: If I try to boot windows out of safe mode when I run something or after some time windows will crash and both my monitors will go black. When I boot in safe mode I do not get this issue. I have tried multiple things to fix this but all have resulted in failure....
  6. Failed to boot into safe mode and USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to boot into safe mode and USB: Hello, I haven't used my laptop in a few months. I booted it up today and got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (It did not hit the login screen). System Restore, Startup Repair and Go back to previous version all encountered an error and failed. sfc /scannow ended with...
  7. Windows 10 boot to safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 boot to safe mode: I recently had my disk drive replaced by Dell. The new drive supposedly came the initial Windows 10 image I had received when I purchased the system. I am no longer able to boot into safe mode by holding down the <shift> key when booting the system. The boot tab in msconfig...
  8. Strange-DISM SFC work in safe mode, but not in regular boot?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange-DISM SFC work in safe mode, but not in regular boot?: Curious where the issues could be. I posted last night that when I was trying to run DISM or SFC a small second window would appear and close and then the processs would not start at all. It would just sit there and do nothing. The other thing is I could not close those cmd...
  9. Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode: In MSconfig I set windows to boot into safe mode, now it will not boot at all. Previously it booted into normal mode. I used a Windows recovery disc from which the only option that works is the command prompt. From the cmd prompt I can see all of C: drive and also run...
  10. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10: How to: Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. It can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC. For example, if the problem doesn't happen in safe mode,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. safemode boot ok normal boot fail

2. windows fails normal startup but boots to safe mode