Windows 10: Windows 10 fails to Start When USB Stick is Plugged In

Discus and support Windows 10 fails to Start When USB Stick is Plugged In in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I backup data to my USB. When I forget to remove it and restarting in the morning. the boot gets to the blue Windows logo and stops. No progress... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JamesJoey, Jan 21, 2018.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Windows 10 fails to Start When USB Stick is Plugged In

I backup data to my USB.
    When I forget to remove it and restarting in the morning. the boot gets to the blue Windows logo and stops.
    No progress indicator... nothing.
    After removing the stick and then pressing and holding the power button the system starts fine.
    I was having the same symptom when I had 'Turn on fast startup' checked.
    Of course, everytime Windows 10 does a major upgrade it re-checks this option forcing me to switch it back.

Anyway, anyone have any idea why my stem won't start when I have a USB stick plugged in?

James

:)

JamesJoey, Jan 21, 2018

2. Purchased Windows 10 on USB from Microsoft Store

Can the Windows 10 USB stick wear out if used too many times to reinstall or repair Windows 10? How long does the Windows 10 USB stick last before it fails? Does the drive get hot while plugged in? How does both 32-bit and 64-bit fit on a single USB
    stick?

KeithWeisshar, Jan 21, 2018
  3. XBOX One Wireless Controller on Windows 10 not Working

Hello everyone,

i just received the wireless stick and a xbox one controler from microsoft.

It is not working wireless.

I got Windows 10 enterprise with the latest updates.

When i connect the controler with any USB Cable, it works perfectly.

When i plug in the wireless stick, it shows "XBOX ACC" without a driver in the device manager. Search for a driver fails.

When i press the button on the wireless stick, nothing happens.

When i press the xbox key on the controler, it starts to blink slowly.

When i press and hold the wireless key on the controler, it starts to blink faster for a while, then it stops and the controler turns off (xbox key not enlighted)

When i follow the given advice, pressing the stick key first, then the wireless key on the controler, nothing happens.

Batteries are OK. Also tried to replace them.

What do i do to get the wireless xbox one to windows 10 working?

CaptainGame, Jan 21, 2018
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Do you recall setting the boot order to USB first, did you do an install from USB boot?

dmholt57, Jan 21, 2018
  5. JamesJoey Win User
    I never did a boot to USB

The boot order is

CD-ROM
    HDD
    Floppy

I don't see a USB in the boot setup screen.

JamesJoey, Jan 21, 2018
  6. RickC Win User
    Depending on your system, you may only see USB in the Boot menu if you actually have a USB stick inserted before booting and entering the Boot menu.

RickC, Jan 22, 2018
  7. Steve C Win User
    Also check you have no active partition on that USB stick which can confuse the boot process. I use MiniTool Partition Wizard to check this.

Steve C, Jan 22, 2018
  8. JamesJoey Win User

Doesn't there have to be an active partition to write data to it?

JamesJoey, Jan 23, 2018
  9. JamesJoey Win User
    After inserting the stick the setup showed a 4th device in the boot priority. I was 4th in order.
    It referred to it as 'Network Group Boot.'

I disabled it. Which I assume it won't look top this device for booting.

I hate messing with setup. Been along time.
    I'll see if it boots ok in the morning, seeing it only happens after the system has been powered down for a while.

JamesJoey, Jan 23, 2018
  10. NO -- the Active partition is the one that is used for booting. You can write data to any partition with a Windows filesystem on it.

Mark Phelps, Jan 23, 2018
  11. Berton Win User
    All of the USB Thumb drives I've worked with and own have come formatted as FAT32, can be read by Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. USB HDDs for Windows usually are NTFS although my latest 4TB came from WDC formatted as exFAT and should work on Mac OS X, Linux and Windows. Mac OS X does have issues with NTFS unless using a third-party software from the Apple Store. Windows usually can't work with the Mac-formatted drives.

Berton, Jan 23, 2018
  12. Here it was an incorrect bios setup. A repair in place fixed this issue and set boot priority to optical drive first, primary drive 2nd and so forth and windows boot manager disappeared as an option. The in place also set the bios to UEFI only. Prior to this all external devices had to be either all turned on (all usb slots filled) or all devices turned off but usb slots still had to be filled. Definitely do not know why this was the case. My mobo also ran out of current bios updates at win 8.1. I am not saying this is your answer but, maybe an in place os repair or re install may help you.

lopedoggie, Jan 23, 2018
  13. JamesJoey Win User

I used my disk imaging software's boot disk and partition manager to check on the USB.
    At first, I wasn't able to boot to the boot disk when the thumb drive was plugged in. Once it got to "Windows is loading it's files..." it hung. After removing the thumb drive and rebooting it booted fine to the boot disk.

The USB has no active partition. it has 1.00 unallocated space and 119 GB Primary NTFS.

I get a bit confused on the terminology.
    Is the proper term a 'thumb drive? '
    When should the spelling be Disk or Disc?

JamesJoey, Jan 23, 2018
  14. Berton Win User
    The portable/pocketable drives are USB Thumb or Flash drives, interchangeable terms, Thumb comes from the comparison with a person's thumb.
    The spelling of Disc is used with CD and DVD drives or ODD/Optical Disc Drive. Disc has always been printed on the face of the drive's tray, goes back to when the ODDs first came out. Disk has always been used with floppy drives, Zip drives and HDD/Hard Disk Drives. Absent any other information the spelling of something can get a hint as to what is being talked about.

Assuming the USB drive is 128GB the partitioning appears correct but it probably came formatted as FAT32. Windows can't format more than 32GB as FAT32 so I use Linux Mint to do the job, have formatted a 500GB drive as FAT32 for use on Linux and Mac OS X. Windows can read/write the drive.

As long as a USB is not set as Active it shouldn't be a problem.

Berton, Jan 23, 2018
  15. JamesJoey Win User
    Thanks much for the info.

Just have to remember to unplug it before shutting down for the night.

JamesJoey, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 fails to Start When USB Stick is Plugged In - Similar Threads - fails Start USB

2. Windows 10 PC Not Starting when USB Keyboard / Mouse/ pendrive Plugged

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 PC Not Starting when USB Keyboard / Mouse/ pendrive Plugged: My windows 10 PC is stuck on startup LOGO when any of pendrive , Mouse or keyboard is connected. Once you remove them it starts and everything works fine once it starts booting and these peripherals are reconnected. Used a clean reinstall of Windows 10 then also same problem....
  3. Failed USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed USB memory stick: Hi, I am having a problem with my USB memory stick, it says it doesn't have any storage, yet it does, and it has data on there, it's not like it's CD-ROM drive. I even have proof from a recovery attempt on a Linux VM....
  4. Failed USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed USB memory stick: Hi, I am having a problem with my USB memory stick, it says it doesn't have any storage, yet it does, and it has data on there, it's not like it's CD-ROM drive. I even have proof from a recovery attempt on a Linux VM....
  5. USB Stick Showing Up When Plugged In On Desktop Automatically ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Stick Showing Up When Plugged In On Desktop Automatically ?: Hi, On a W10 pc, any way of having a USB Stick when plugged in show up immediately and automatically on desktop (like it does on a MAC) ? B. 183382
  6. USB Stick Showing Up When Plugged In On Desktop Automatically ?

in Windows 10 Support
    USB Stick Showing Up When Plugged In On Desktop Automatically ?: Hi, On a W10 pc, any way of having a USB Stick when plugged in show up immediately and automatically on desktop (like it does on a MAC) ? B. 183382
  7. Windows 10 USB 3.0 failing when plugging in an External hard Drive

Windows 10 USB 3.0 failing when plugging in an External hard Drive: Since the most recent Windows 10 update from which I cannot roll back due too not realizing the feature was turned off by default The USB 3.0 Root Hub ceases functioning with the Code 43 appearing in the device manager whenever I attempt to plug in my Toshiba 3.0 External...
  8. How to see when USB sticks got plugged into my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to see when USB sticks got plugged into my PC?: Is windows 10 creating protocolls about this one? Is there any way for me to see when an USB stick got stuck into my PC / got removed? I need help because I highly suspect someone stole the data that was on my USB stick. I cant confront the person unless I have evidence he...
  9. Windows 10 on the USB stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on the USB stick: I want to download Windows 10 on the USB stick. But I’ve found a file called ‘system volume information’, which I cannot delete. How can I install Windows 10 on a USB stick and do I need this file?...
  10. windows 10 usb stick

windows 10 usb stick: Windows 10 refuses to recognise any of my usb sticks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-usb-stick/d912e459-704e-4d75-a97e-b2316939c1a5