Windows 10: Windows 10 Failure - Ryzen / X470 / M2

Discus and support Windows 10 Failure - Ryzen / X470 / M2 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently built a new Ryzen based system running Windows 10 Enterprise The system has two drives, one is a M2 and the other is a conventional drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Charles Beyer, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Failure - Ryzen / X470 / M2

I recently built a new Ryzen based system running Windows 10 Enterprise

The system has two drives, one is a M2 and the other is a conventional drive. The M2 is configured as C drive and contains the OS, etc. The "regular" drive is D and stores data / apps, etc.

After some initial trouble with the M2 not being recognized (had to relocate it to the first M2 slot on the motherboard), everything installed fine. The machine worked fine for a week or so.

One night updates installed and the machine rebooted and ... got the new BSOD. After a reboot, it ended up in the Automatic Repair process which also failed. I then attempted to go back to a previous restore point. Unfortunately, this also failed. (It would show me multiple dates I could roll back to, but the restoration always failed)

After looking at the messages more carefully, I noticed something very odd. The M2 was showing up as D while the conventional drive was appearing as C. Even if I went to the command line and used Diskpart to swap the drive letters, on the next boot into Automatic Repair, the drive letters would once again be swapped incorrectly.

I finally disconnected the physical drive so that only the M2 was in the system. Only then would Windows recognize it as the C drive. Unsurprisingly, I could now successfully complete a rollback to a recovery point.

Unfortunately the system still starts with a blue screen of death, but with a different error.

NOTE - The first blue screen indicated that files / drivers were missing which would make sense if the drive letters got swapped as it would be looking in the wrong place for files.

Before I rebuild this system and reinstall everything AGAIN, I'd really like some sort of answer from Microsoft as to why this is happening. The boot order in BIOS is correct and more importantly, the initial build through the Windows installer / partition tool had the M2 as C, active / boot partition, etc. There shouldn't be any reason for that drive letter to be different when the machine starts up in Automatic Repair mode unless there is some sort of bug defect that broke this.

There was nothing 3rd party on this machine when it broke. I had literally just installed Windows, Office, Visual Studio and applied updates.

Thoughts?

I see others have had similar issues (from a couple years ago) which is concerning.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/windows-10-startup-fails-drive-letters-changed/6b774fd6-223d-4212-ac72-8718ef9b2e7c

:)

Charles Beyer, Aug 24, 2018

2. Amd Ryzen refresh and X470 up for preorder.

The x470 ultra gaming looks like an inncredible deal at 140$
    They do. 2700x goes for 329, 2600x is 229

dj-electric, Aug 24, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 24, 2018
  4. Chaitanya Win User

Windows 10 Failure - Ryzen / X470 / M2

Chaitanya, Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Failure - Ryzen / X470 / M2

1. Windows 10 Failure - Ryzen / X470 / M2 - Similar Threads - Failure Ryzen X470

2. Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working: Hi All, I am attempting to breath some life into a 4 year old HP Laptop running windows 10. Memory upgrade to 16GB was straightforward, and I planned to move from th 256GB SATA M2 SSD to a 256GB WD SN750 NVME SSD - which in theory should be a bit of a boost too...I use...
  3. Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working: Hi All, I am attempting to breath some life into a 4 year old HP Laptop running windows 10. Memory upgrade to 16GB was straightforward, and I planned to move from th 256GB SATA M2 SSD to a 256GB WD SN750 NVME SSD - which in theory should be a bit of a boost too...I use...
  4. Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Help M2 drive Windows 10 legacy bios option is not seen on a external M2 USB reader

Help M2 drive Windows 10 legacy bios option is not seen on a external M2 USB reader: Hello everyone,Hope someone can help me.On my previous laptop, Acer 5 515 51G with UEFI bios support, which died and, I had installed Windows 10 with bios option as legacy on my M2 NVM. Now I have a new and recent laptop, and need to recover my older laptop M2 SSD NVM...
  6. Help M2 drive Windows 10 legacy bios option is not seen on a external M2 USB reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help M2 drive Windows 10 legacy bios option is not seen on a external M2 USB reader: Hello everyone,Hope someone can help me.On my previous laptop, Acer 5 515 51G with UEFI bios support, which died and, I had installed Windows 10 with bios option as legacy on my M2 NVM. Now I have a new and recent laptop, and need to recover my older laptop M2 SSD NVM...
  7. M2 SSDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M2 SSDs: Motherboard: Intel B560Processor: i511400OS: Windows 11SSD: Western Digital 2TBWindows won’t recognize me M2 SSD and I’m not sure why, I went to disk management and nothing. I went to the BIOS and it’s not showing there either. I used the cmd tool and put in the command’ disk...
  8. M2 SSDs

M2 SSDs: Motherboard: Intel B560Processor: i511400OS: Windows 11SSD: Western Digital 2TBWindows won’t recognize me M2 SSD and I’m not sure why, I went to disk management and nothing. I went to the BIOS and it’s not showing there either. I used the cmd tool and put in the command’ disk...
  9. m2 windows installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    m2 windows installation: hi, i have got a problem. i have installed system on my m2 ssd and after that pc doesn't see windows. Connecting old ssd with windows pc make me choose between 2 systems one old and second one new which is giving blue screen. m2 disk works fine, any solutions ??? submitted...
  10. Upgrading an M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading an M2 SSD: My laptop has a Kingston 128GB M2 drive, also a 1T HDD I'm looking to upgrade the 128Gb drive as you can tell, it's starting to get full, thats with me directing most downloads, saving etc to my D drive. so all i need is a M2 converter to USB and use a disc clone program to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. x470 30 error code

2. x470 ultra gaming boot failure

3. windows 10 crash m2 update ryzen

4. x470 windows 10 boot problem