Windows 10: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart

Discus and support Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi! When Windows update has just installed all the pending updates, the start menu don't show the option "update and restart", only "restart",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NSchwender, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart

Hi! When Windows update has just installed all the pending updates, the start menu don't show the option "update and restart", only "restart", "shutdown" and "sleep". It's normal?? I have Windows 10 PRO Fall Creators Update 64 bits.
    Thanks!

:)

NSchwender, Nov 30, 2017
  2. Kedarc68 Win User
    Kedarc68, Nov 30, 2017
  3. Feature Update win10 version 1709 Problem

I can't uprade to the latest falls creators update version 1709.The following message is showing.

feature update to windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0xc1900403

RoknujjamanChowdhury, Nov 30, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart

Sounds normal to me. Since all of your Windows Updates are up to date, there aren't updates to restart to.
    Next week the first Tuesday of the month will probably have cumulative updates as well as other updates available sometime during the week and when the computer is ready to download and then install them you should see the option to update and restart shown again.

MeAndMyComputer, Nov 30, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    You're right, after a cumulative update has been downloaded it requires a restart to complete the install. In Fall Creators Update the Start menu's power button has no indication that a shutdown or restart will complete installing the update.

The only time I've seen the choice of 'Shutdown'/'Shutdown and install updates' appear on Start is when windows update has downloaded a Features Update (effectively an upgrade to a new version of windows). As this can take an hour to install it's sensible to offer such a choice. For a cumulative update that takes minutes to install MS don't seem to think it's worth giving us a choice. Presumably now they don't even bother to mention it on the Start power button.

I've just checked on a system running Anniversary Update (1607) Windows 10 Pro - that did say 'Update and restart', having just downloaded a cumulative update that would be installed on a restart - but there was no option to restart without updating. I suppose that as you're going to update anyway, there's little point in telling you again on the power button. You should by that stage have already seen notifications that a restart is required.

Or perhaps MS just forgot to add the code for this in FCU *Smile

6. Bree New Member
    No, I've just tested a 1709 system. There's a new cumulative update out so you can test it now, but after downloading it the Fall Creators Update just says 'Restart' on the Start menu's power button, not 'Update and restart' as previous versions did (it still updates on the restart, it just doesn't warn you).

7. Bree those are very good explanations, thank you. I made the mistake of my previous versions showing Update and restart and should have considered what NSchwender was questioning as 1709 wasn't doing as opposed to what I am used to on my 1703's. As the computer world goes, change is normal and I'll keep that in mind before speaking out about something new without having experienced it yet.

MeAndMyComputer, Nov 30, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart

Yes, there were a number of other changes to Start's shutdown/restart behaviour introduced in 1709. Mainly that some (but not all) apps that were open when you shut down will reopen on the next boot. Task Manager, Wordpad and IE are three examples that restart, Edge and Notepad don't. MS may have deliberately/accidentally left out the code to show pending updates when rewriting that part of the code.

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart

1. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart - Similar Threads - Fall Creators Update

2. Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) - Update Packages weird

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) - Update Packages weird: Hi, Since the update, Microsoft is pushing strange Update Packages to me. Before the Update, everything was fine, now the Text says i.e.: for AMD64 based systems KB4051963 but what the heck, I do have a x64 based system (Intel). I don't now now if it is just the...
  3. "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators: In Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! Solved - Windows 10 Forums I posted of my confusion, a problem now solved, about an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 10 installed suddenly being unable to download and install updates. "Net" of that...
  4. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  5. Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update: Hello How to turn off driver update via regedit ? os windows 10 fall creatros update 1709 Thank you 99435
  6. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  7. Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop: After upgrading window 10 to the Fall UC, i'm having some problems with remote desktop: two pc both with 1709: Sometimes the login stuck and i only see the login image with the user icon but it does not enter the descktop, some other times it ask for password again, it...
  8. Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues: I am having issues updating from 1703 to 1709, and I could use some help. I used the native Windows Update tool to download 1709. I restarted my computer when prompted to begin the installation. I got about a quarter of the way through the installation when I got a blue...
  9. Rumor: Fall Creators Update is Windows 10 version 1709

in Windows 10 News
    Rumor: Fall Creators Update is Windows 10 version 1709: it appears that Microsoft has referenced the version number for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update in related documentation. A blog post (first spotted by WZor) related to the the Policy device description framework (DDF) file in Windows mentions "Windows 10, version...
  10. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) Fully Available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) Fully Available: I’m happy to announce the Fall Creators Update (version 1709) is fully available for all compatible devices running Windows 10 worldwide! Full availability is the final phase of our rollout process. When a new feature update is released, we begin by targeting a select set of...