Windows 10: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update BROKE Wi-Fi Adapter

Discus and support Windows 10 Fall Creators Update BROKE Wi-Fi Adapter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone! So a couple of weeks ago (I think) I decided to install the Fall Creators Update on my computer. It was already running Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DarkShadow641, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update BROKE Wi-Fi Adapter

Hello everyone!

So a couple of weeks ago (I think) I decided to install the Fall Creators Update on my computer. It was already running Windows 10 and everything ran fine. However, when the update installed and the computer rebooted, the Wi-Fi adapter wasn't working. It is an ASUS PCE-AC68. It is worth noting that my setup consists of a small SSD with Windows installed and then a large HDD with all my files on it. There are several directory junctions for certain programs and the Users folder pointing to the large HDD. Just mentioning this in case it's got something to do with this...

So I started looking into it and device manager throws an error saying Code 10 This device could not start. Then on the line below it says The requested operation as unsuccessful. (I'm getting this from my memory, I'm out of town atm) I tried using newer or older drivers from ASUS and Broadcom and none of them work but still throw the same exact error. Any ideas on this?

To further troubleshoot this issue I fired up an Ubuntu Live USB Stick and used that Wi-Fi adapter and it ran just fine. So I know it's something within Windows. I've been getting by with an old D-Link USB adapter but it is not stable so this is starting to become urgent.

Thanks!

:)

DarkShadow641, Nov 5, 2017
  2. span-unit Win User

Creator update

If you're on a Wi-Fi network it's probably because your network adapter is not compatible with the Fall Creators Update.

If you are on a Wi-Fi network using a network adapter that was working fine prior to the Update, re-install your network adapter using the original CD install - this should take it back to the earlier working version.

span-unit, Nov 5, 2017
  3. span-unit Win User
    The good, the bad, and the ugly!

I also lost my network connectivity after the Fall Creators Update. This update disabled or uninstalled several drivers - one of them was my Wi-Fi network adapter. The recently updated adapter was not compatible with the Fall Creators Update - I had to uninstall
    it and re-install the original version from CD. That fixed my connectivity problem immediately.

span-unit, Nov 5, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update BROKE Wi-Fi Adapter

Hi DarkShadow641

I would run the network trouble shooter, Start >Settings > Updates and Security > Troubleshooters

If that doesn't fix run Network Reset. Start => Settings => Network & internet => Scroll to bottom of right hand side =>Network Reset

This will cause you to “Forget” your wireless passwords and you may have to reset any VPN or customized communication software if you use.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 5, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    spunk, Nov 6, 2017
  6. I tried both suggestions and none of them worked. No visible changes either, and for some reason when I plugged in the provisional Wi-Fi adapter (which is painfully slow and unstable sometimes) it still remembered my Wi-Fi network and password... What now?

DarkShadow641, Nov 9, 2017
  7. Okay which driver did you download from the link spunk gave you?

You saw on several you had to uninstall old software (and driver) before installing new.

First Windows key + R, type sysdm.cpl, enter. On hardware tab near bottom select Device Installation settings, next panel select "No". This is supposed to tell Windows that you will determine when to update drivers.

Then unplug this wireless attachment. Then uninstall driver and driver software when asked. Then any other software you might find in the Apps box of settings related to this and or and software listed in Control Panel.

Install driver you download and then connect device. In device manager confirm version of driver installed. Test.

Caledon Ken, Nov 9, 2017
  8. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update BROKE Wi-Fi Adapter

billfischer, Nov 9, 2017
  9. Thanks for posting this information. I'm not OP but it could be a benefit to many others.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 9, 2017
  10. I am the guy that started the thread on the ASUS forums. The engineers are working the issue and I have also escalated it up to Microsoft as well. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

keetrock46270, Nov 10, 2017
  11. Oh well that's good to know. If it's an issue that's been happening to several people then I won't troubleshoot it anymore (since I probably won't get it to work) and wait for ASUS to release a fix for it.
    I'll post anything I find out or progress onto this thread. If y'all would do the same that would be great too. I guess I'll also send an E-Mail to ASUS.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one...

DarkShadow641, Nov 11, 2017
  12. I checked with ASUS on Friday and they are still in the process of getting an AMD processor and motherboard (which I think is absolutely bizarre). I updated to the preview build and it seems to work again. If you go to my ASUS forum post, you will find a link to a reddit post, go there and upvote it. The more eyes on it, the better chance it will get resolved sooner than later.

keetrock46270, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update BROKE Wi-Fi Adapter

1. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update BROKE Wi-Fi Adapter - Similar Threads - Fall Creators Update

2. Wi-Fi falls off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi falls off: Wi-Fi is systematically disconnected when I play certain games on the Internet, when I watch YouTube, everything is fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-falls-off/143d7243-e818-4a90-ae81-dbb861a173e0
  3. Wi-Fi falls off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wi-Fi falls off: Wi-Fi is systematically disconnected when I play certain games on the Internet, when I watch YouTube, everything is fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-falls-off/143d7243-e818-4a90-ae81-dbb861a173e0
  4. Wi-Fi falls off

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 1903 update broke wi-fi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 1903 update broke wi-fi: I was forced to install 1903, and when it FINALLY finished my PC did not automatically connect to wi-fi and when I displayed available connections it only showed the 2.4GHz connections. EVERY windows update screws up wi-fi one way or the other. Microsoft engineers should...
  6. Latest update broke Wi-fi!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Latest update broke Wi-fi!: At first I thought wi-fi was down but then noticed all the other devices are up. I booted off the backup drive that hasn't had that update applied to it yet and ruined. The good copy is on 1803. I am not sure what it is on the broken since I cannot post from there, since...
  7. Latest update broke Wi-fi!

in Windows 10 Support
    Latest update broke Wi-fi!: At first I thought wi-fi was down but then noticed all the other devices are up. I booted off the backup drive that hasn't had that update applied to it yet and ruined. The good copy is on 1803. I am not sure what it is on the broken since I cannot post from there, since...
  8. WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update: I just downloaded the above mentioned update and it looks like some fun things are here. I am interested in giving "Paint 3D" a shot although I am told it's designed for touch screen and I don't use one. Here's the problem---it has force fed me "OneDrive" which I am not a...
  9. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index: I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). Before the problem: Windows 10/drive C: is installed on a 250GB SSD, but most programs are installed on a conventional 640 GB...
  10. fall creator update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324