Windows 10: Windows 10 File History backup fails for every directory: "Directory is not backed up...

Discus and support Windows 10 File History backup fails for every directory: "Directory is not backed up... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Appears to be problem reported as "Your data is not yet backed up" Windows 10 Home version 1803 current as of 7/11/2018. Since application of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by paidilukous, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Windows 10 File History backup fails for every directory: "Directory is not backed up...

Appears to be problem reported as "Your data is not yet backed up"
    Windows 10 Home version 1803 current as of 7/11/2018.
    Since application of
    KB4284848 on 7/05/2018
    File History has stopped working. It no longer backs up any directories.
    The Error log message is "Directory id not backed up because it is a reparse point."

After the failure,
    1) I ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
    "The operation completed successfully"
    2) Then I ran sfc /scannow
    "Windows Resource Protection Aid did not find any intergrity violations"
    3) Then, again, I ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
    "The operation completed successfully"
    4) Then I rebooted again
    5) Windows Settings > Update & Security > Backup > more options > File History backup options.
    Starting status is "Your data is not yet backed up"
    Select "Back up now"
    Briefly I get the message "Backing up your data"
    Then the status returns to "Your data is not yet backed up":
    6) Control Panel > System aand Security > File History > Advanced settings >
    Open File History event logs to view recent events or errors recorded in
    Microosoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/File History backup log
    Final message is Error Event ID 201
    Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\ben\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Conf "
    Preceding messages are all Warning Event ID 106: for example,
    Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point
    C:\Users\ben\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\/Net Cachje\Low\Content.IE5
    Among the 60 or so failed directories are
    C:|Users\ben\My Documents
    C:\Users\ben\Local Settings
    C:\Users\ben\Cookies
    C:\Users\ben\Application Data

How would a "reparse point" have been created,
    and how do I delete it?
    Or is the warning message incorrect?

:)

paidilukous, Jul 12, 2018

2. Cannot remove directories from "included directories" list of file history windows 10 feature.

Hi,

I have the problem related to file history on windows 10.

I recently updated to windows 10. And I liked the idea to be able to store file history of my documents every hour (instead of once a day). So I want to enable this feature.

But the problem is that I do not want to use standard directories being saved. By default those are:

- My home directory

- All subdirectories of my home directory.

- All _my_ libraries

- All public libraries (music, pictures etc.)

I should say, that I'm a developer and I have lots of things in my home directories and in some library directories, which I do not want to backup. What I want is to save the content of only one directory: "D:\docs".

Then, what I did is following:

- I selected the network location to store my files.

- I turned on the file history

=> I can see list of all directories, which are _included_ and _excluded_ from backup.

- I manually removed all the directories except of one of them (D:\docs) from the _excluded_ list.

- I started the backup

=>> And then I see, that all those library directories, which I've just removed from the list, are back and my backup takes several Gb instead of hundred Mb.

So, I disabled file history, removed all the files from network location, cleaned up the list of directories _included_ into backup once again. And enabled the file history again. And started the backup.

=>>> All the library directories are back to the "included directories" list??? What is this? I removed them explicitly. I don't want them to be there.

Question: How can I remove certain directories of my choice from the "file history" feature of windows 10?

Notice: I did not try to explicitly use _excluded_ directories list... but it is really not convenient. I have, probably, more than 50 directories included by windows by default. So I have to find them all manually and add to the second list? Besides, I
    don't really know if it works...

Dmitry Semikin, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Bernard46 Win User
    Which directories does File History backup?

I have been trying to setup File History on two Windows 10 PCs but so far I am baffled as to just what Windows 10 is doing.

To give you one example I set up File History for the first time and use the default settings. It appears that File History chooses to back up some directories from the Public User (but not all), some (different) directories from the active User, no directories
    from other Users in the USER high level folder (e.g. Administrator, Guest, Default.Migrated etc) and then some random directories not contained in the above ones - these latter directories seem to be mainly ones containing jpeg pictures, however other directories
    containing many more jpeg, tiff etc picture files are ignored. What algorithm is File History using to decide which directories to back up?

Bernard46, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Windows 10 File History backup fails for every directory: "Directory is not backed up...

Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 File History backup fails for every directory: "Directory is not backed up...

1. Windows 10 File History backup fails for every directory: "Directory is not backed up... - Similar Threads - File History backup

2. "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History: I keep getting the "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" error from Windows File History and it stops backing up. I originally set it up about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine for several days. Then I noticed it stopped backing anything up. When I checked...
  3. "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History: I keep getting the "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" error from Windows File History and it stops backing up. I originally set it up about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine for several days. Then I noticed it stopped backing anything up. When I checked...
  4. "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails: Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?...
  6. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails: Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?...
  7. File History not showing all backed up directories Windows 10

File History not showing all backed up directories Windows 10: For several years, I’ve been using the File History tool to back up files from two hard drives C:, the SSD where my operating system resides; and D:, the HDD where many of the operating files for installed programs and my saved files reside. The D: drive recently failed,...
  8. File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on....

File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on....: File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on. Screen[ATTACH]Shot of Error Log Enclosed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-fails-to-backup-files-not-a-single/df51b595-feab-46ec-9440-c50d0d1fee2f
  9. File history not working. Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:

File history not working. Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:: I was getting errors like the ones below. Event ID: 202 Unusual condition was encountered during scanning user libraries for changes and performing backup of modified files for configuration Event ID: 106 Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse...
  10. File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

File History Not Copying All Files and Directories: I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the directory structure it is supposed to be copying across, in that there are many sub-directories missing. Some of the missing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. your data is not yet backed up backup windows 10

2. File History backup fails with Event ID 100

3. no results found for c:\users\[username]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\filehistory\configuration\configuration.

4. file history your data is not yet backed up,
  5. Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/File History backup log event ID 203