Windows 10: Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

Discus and support Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've had Windows 10 file history enabled since i got Windows 10 on release. It backs up every hour and has been working fine for over a year. A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by lumpycustard, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

I've had Windows 10 file history enabled since i got Windows 10 on release.

It backs up every hour and has been working fine for over a year.

A few days ago i went to restore a file and noticed that the file was not in the backup. I checked my backup, and noticed that it had not been backing up for a few days.

I checked file history settings and its still set to back up every hour. If i manually back up, it works fine, but it does NOT automatically backup every hour.

I have tried turning file history off and on, but no resolve.

In the meantime i have been manually opening file history and backing up once a day, but obviously that isn't ideal.

Can anyone assist?

:)

lumpycustard, Dec 18, 2016

2. File History Not Automatically Backing Up to WD NAS

File History is working as it is supposed to. My workaround of setting a higher frequency of backup addresses the problem of Outlook being open during the backup process causing failure. I'll get a lot of event log "failure" entries, but will - and have
    - gotten at least one successful File History backup daily. Note that I have changed the frequency from the 6 hours posted above to 3 hours.

Thanks Emmanuel.

Charlie516, Dec 18, 2016
  3. File History Not Automatically Backing Up to WD NAS

You lost me with your first paragraph Emmanuel - for the life of me I can find no setting that says the equivalent of "Run File History at XX:YYPM". Under Save copies of files, one only has the option of setting the
    frequency of backup, not when it backs up. Maybe you are saying that if the user sets a frequency >"daily", the time of day might be able to be set based upon the choice, i.e. if the user sets it to be every hour and initiates this
    setting at 1:00PM, then every hour on the hour files would be backed up. If so, I get it and that is what I've done.

My work-around...I've set File History to Save copies of files every 6 hours instead of just daily. What hopefully will occur is that at least one of the 4 times files will be backed up every day will be after MS Outlook is shutdown automatically (I'm using
    a vbs script to make this happen) File History will run successfully. It will fail whenever Outlook is open of course since that is one of the files I back up and it is open almost all of the time my PC is on. If this works, I'll report back in 2 days and
    mark this one solved.

Thanks again.

Charlie516, Dec 18, 2016
  4. CmmTch Win User

Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

Welcome to tenforums lumpycustard *Smile

I don't use that function to backup files, this might seem like a stupid question, but does the backup run if there's been no change to any files? Just a thought, if nothing's changed, it might detect that and not run.

CmmTch, Dec 18, 2016
  5. CmmTch Win User
    @Brink has created many very useful tutorials for tenforums Windows 10 Tutorials

This may answer your question https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-a.html?filter[1]=Backup Restore

Scroll to the bottom of the tutorial to see related tutorials, the tutorials are all like that with related tutorials at the bottom of the one you're looking at. Very helpful, we can thank Brink, and many of the knowledgeable users here for creating, and contributing to them.

CmmTch, Dec 18, 2016
  6. Helmut Win User
    I have been using File History for about 3 years with Windows 8.1/10. Mine is set to 12 hours with the intention of a daily backup.
    Occasionally when I look it has not done anything for several days, much the same as what you are seeing. However, this is not new, it always was the case.

I attribute this to there being no file changes and being a low priority background task, or it caching a small number of changes and doing it later (or by a user doing the Run Now option).

I always manually save versions anyway when required for my own peace of mind.

Helmut, Dec 18, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    I find File History (FH) stops updating for no particular reason. I reset it as follows:
    • Stop FH
    • Delete FH config files at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • Restart FH and choose to use the same backup drive as before

Steve C, Dec 18, 2016
  8. Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

Hey mate, unfortunately no, that's not how it should work. File History should make a backup on schedule, even if no changes have been made. If no changes have been made, the backup should only take a few seconds, but it should update the timestamp to show that it has done a backup, i.e. "last successful backup 27th of December @ 3:30PM". The issue i'm facing is that it will stop backing up for several days.

Sometimes i might find that it has randomly backed up at 6PM, but then it won't do anything for the rest of the night. It *should* be backing up hourly.

This is not how File History should work. If no changes have been made, it should still do a backup (even if that backup saves nothing), and the timestamp should update to reflect that.

In any case, like i mentioned in my first post, i tried to restore a file on my desktop and found that it wasn't there, because FH had not been backing up for several days.

Thanks, i've given this a try, will report back.

lumpycustard, Dec 25, 2016
  9. OK after extensive testing i am unable to figure out any pattern for this issue.

First up, the last manual backup i completed was at 11:30AM on December 29th.

At 6:30PM on the 29th it backed up automatically (why did it randomly wait 7 hours?).

Today is the 3rd of January and it has not backed up since December 29th, 6:30PM.

If i manually back up, it works fine.

lumpycustard, Jan 1, 2017
  10. CmmTch Win User
    Seems W10 has more than it's share of little non service affecting annoyances like this, there was a post at the bottom of this thread that was marked solved. In it @dalchina responded with a couple links in this thread On Windows 10 when does file history run? you might look at them to see if they maybe answer your questions.

CmmTch, Jan 1, 2017
  11. No solution.

I ended up deleting my entire backup drive, removing the backup drive from File History, then starting fresh...

I did an initial backup at 12AM, then i checked back at 6am and noticed that it backed up at 1am, 2am, 3am.. all the way to 6am. So i shut down my computer. Finally i thought it was fixed.

Got home tonight at 10PM, turned on my computer, it's now 11:15PM and the last backup was at 6am.

So after a shut down it decided to stop automatically backing up again.

Getting sick and tired of this, considering just changing to another piece of software to handle my backups. Acronis or something.

lumpycustard, Jan 8, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    Like I said, File History is 'flaky'. I would use Macrium Free rather than Acronis software since I had problems with Acronis in the past.

Steve C, Jan 8, 2017
  13. Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

What problems did you have exactly?

I used to use Acronis in the past and was quite happy with it. I'm currently running the Acronis 2017 30 day trial and have set it up to do incremental backups every 1 hour. Will test this for a month and see how i go.

I used to use EaseUS but they have an awful activation strategy. After formatting my computer it refused to activate, and after contacting support and unlocking my key, the program would routinely lock out again and fail activation, despite paying full price for the software.

lumpycustard, Jan 9, 2017
  14. Steve C Win User
    I last used Acronis backup software 2 years ago. The version I used installed low level disk drivers / filters which were not uninstalled and proved very difficult to remove.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

1. Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically - Similar Threads - File History Backing

2. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails: Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?...
  3. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails: Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?...
  4. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  6. Windows 10 File History not backing up properly?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History not backing up properly?: So around a month ago I was trying to set up file history in case my PC broke. I had it set to save on an internal HDD that I kept games on and such. I remember it wouldn't work but I couldn't figure out why and I forgot about it. Now I am trying to set it up again and I...
  7. Windows 10 file history not backing up.

Windows 10 file history not backing up.: Ever since 7/29 my backup hasnt been working, i have tried 4 times now already but the size and date for the most recent backup hasnt changed it says, I dont know if thats a glitch or not but I might be getting a new PC soon and I will try and change the hard drives out and...
  8. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  9. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  10. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows file history not backing up automatically