Windows 10: Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As usual the "Half a Job is good enough" Loonies at Microsoft have done it again. Their "So Called" Backup using File history does not recognize a HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LanceDickchops, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD

As usual the "Half a Job is good enough" Loonies at Microsoft have done it again.

Their "So Called" Backup using File history does not recognize a HDD connected to your PC by USB.

So this "so Called" Life Saving Application is actually as useless as an ashtray on a Motorbike. Unless you open up your PC and Physically install a second HDD internally. If you don't, then this stupid application wont find anything else.

It never ceases to amaze me just how backward these "So called" Microsoft innovators are, in general, they are always one or two steps behind modern technology.

:)

LanceDickchops, Jul 10, 2018

2. File History Physical Connected But Not Electronic

Hello Candun,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that File History is not recognizing the external USB expansion drive, even though the drive had worked initially and it was behaving normally in File Explorer.

This issue may occur if any of the backup in the drive you are backing up is corrupted or the library is corrupted.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

1. Open File History and click Select Drive. Select a different drive other than the one that is failing to be recognized. you can consider adding an extra internal HDD to your PC in this situation.

2. Go to the external USB drive that wasn't being recognised, find the File History folder and rename it to "File History.old" or delete it.

3. Go to your C:\Users\your user folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, find the File History folder and rename it "File History.old" or delete it.

4. Re-open File History, click Select drive and select the original USB drive that was not being recognised. The drive should now set up normally and start operating.

5. Delete the File History folder on the drive used in step 1

Method 2

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Also refer: What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

(Note: Applies to windows 10)

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 10, 2018
  3. Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD

I have been using File History to backup files on my PC for a month with no technical problems. However I got in a bit of a mess (self administered) over which folders were and weren't being backed up.

To cut a long story short, I decided to reformat the external drive and start over. Now, when I go back into File History and choose a drive, File History doesn't recognise the drive. Windows File Explorer does.

I have rebooted (many times), updated drivers, disconnected and reconnected the drive but it all makes no difference.

Any ideas please?

BTW - The old backup (Win 7) recognises the drive and is doing a stand-in backup for me right now, so it is obviously something specific to File History.

PaulBarrett52, Jul 10, 2018
  4. Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD

Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD

Hello Paul,

I understand how you feel about the situation. Let me help you n resolving the issue.

This issue could be due to the hard drive driver is outdated. Let’s try the simple methods below information provided and let us know the status.

Follow the methods below and check if that helps.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Hardware and sound under Troubleshoot computer problems.

• Click on Hardware and devices under Devices.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware and devices dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

If the issue still persist try the below method steps:

Method 2.

I would suggest you to update external hard drive driver from Device Manager manually and check if this helps. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows Key + X and click on
      Device Manager

• Locate for the Universal Serial Bus and expand it.

• Right click on the device driver and click on
      updates.

For more Information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD

1. Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD - Similar Threads - File History won't

2. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  3. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  4. HDD not recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not recognised: Hi, Am hoping somebody can give me some help getting my 2nd HDD recognised. The full story in brief on how this has happened is :- I did a windows update & after that my pc wouldnt boot i suspect due to usb drivers being disabled , anyway it meant i couldnt even use my mouse...
  5. Front usb wont recognise hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Front usb wont recognise hdd: Hi All, My front usb ports 2.0 are doing something odd, one doesnt work or recognise anything while the other will detect my xb1 controller and network adapter but wont detect hard drives. i can plug those hdd's in the back ports and everything is detected. as soon as i try...
  6. windows 10 not recognising whole of HDD

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 not recognising whole of HDD: Hi all, recently changed my HD by cloning up from 250 to 500G HDD using Active@ to get extra space. clone apparently succeeded with very few errors told cloner to skip those spots . error seemed to fix itself on start up as system ran a disc chk itself. Now, on using...
  7. External USB HDD and file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  8. File History won't recognise disk drives

File History won't recognise disk drives: I've installed a new SSD. It's listed in Device Manager and when I click on the drive a message tells me that the device is working properly. However, when I go into File History and search for a drive I'm told that, "No usable drive was found." The new drive does not appear...
  9. HDD not recognised in file explorer only

HDD not recognised in file explorer only: Hi, yesterday I turned on my pc to find that I can no longer boot off my main drive. Through installing windows on another drive and entering disk management, the drive shows as two equal "unallocated" partitions, the only option to delete and format them. If I use the Ubuntu...
  10. Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports

Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports: I have a 2 year old CIT cobra case and have always had varying issues with portable HDD's and USB pens being recognised don't have any issues with the rear USB ports...one USB pen actually changed its contents partly to what was on it before I formatted it.... I am...