Windows 10: Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!!

Discus and support Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is crazy! Windows 10 networking is driving me nuts! I have five Windows 10 PC's, one Windows 7 PC that has not been booted in more than two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yrralrellim, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!!

This is crazy! Windows 10 networking is driving me nuts! I have five Windows 10 PC's, one Windows 7 PC that has not been booted in more than two months, and one Windows Home Server SP2 with Power Pack 3 (Windows Home Server Consoles are installed). Two Win10 PC’s are Home and three are Pro. Four were upgraded from Windows 7 and one was upgraded from Windows 8.1. All of the Win10 PC's have the same firewall - Bitdefender Internet Security 2015. I am not a newbie but I definitely am not familiar with running commands. I am able to navigate to and check most Windows 10 settings. My network has me totally baffled. *cry NONE of my Win10 PC's can see all of the other four Win10 PC’s. Some PC's can see only one or two. None of my PC's is visible by all of the other PC's except that the server is seeing all five of my Win10 PC’s.

My most recent upgrade to Windows 10 (July 29) “tells me” “that the computer is not connected to a network” and yet I can see two other PC’s, one of which is the Windows 7 PC that has not been booted in more than two months!

Network discovery is enabled. File and printer sharing is on. SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is checked. Windows Firewall is off. Four laptops are wireless and my desktop and server are wired.

Can anyone PLEASE give me a complete checklist, line by line, of every setting to check and what each setting should be so that I can configure every Win10 PC exactly the same way ……

OR, refer me to an existing online checklist?

Thank you very much! I will be forever grateful.

:)

yrralrellim, Jul 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 keeps turning off file sharing

I am beyond frustrated with me new windows 10 computer. Trying to set the computer up for home networking has been a nightmare. Any help would be appreciated. Essentially when I turn on file sharing and save changes, it immediately turns it off. Does
    anybody know a solution to this issue?

STEPHENGILBERT, Jul 30, 2016
  3. printer offline

omg need some help I'm not to good on a laptop just about able to turn it on but after a update to windows 10 my printer its a Kodak esp c315 does not work. the printer itself is fine and will stand alone print and on the wifi fine all blue lights but
    what ever I do on the laptop it just says printer offline. it was fine before the update. please help ....

windows 10 nightmare, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!!

Are all of on the same IP range? What router are you using by default most have user isolation set which stops any wireless of from seeing local PCs so if someone breaks in they can get the net but not attack local network. Which is the Master browser?

Samuria, Jul 30, 2016
  5. All are in the same IP range. Router is D-Link DIR- 655. Master browser is Chrome or SlimJet.

yrralrellim, Jul 30, 2016
  6. The PC that I am mainly trying to configure is the most recent Windows 10 Home laptop. When I try to match the settings with another Windows 10 laptop (unfortunately a Pro edition), I simply do not get the same options to turn on network discovery and I have been unable to change the network that I am connected to from Public to Private. I changed the Dword in the registry to private and after rebooting, the network still shows as Public!

yrralrellim, Jul 31, 2016
  7. Samuria Win User
    The master browser is a pc that finds all other pcs and hold all the address and each pc looks to the master browser to get a list use this tool see what it sees and who is the MB NetBScanner - NetBIOS scanner

If you do from a cmd prompt ipconfig /all see if they all have this set
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Samuria, Jul 31, 2016
  8. Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!!

They all do have NetBIOS over TCPIP enabled.

9. Samuria Win User
    does scanner see them all?

Samuria, Jul 31, 2016
  10. NO! Master browser sees only one laptop and the server although it does list the IP address for one other laptop and my main desktop. It does not even list two laptops. The two laptops not listed are 1 Home and 1 Pro.

11. When I click on "Advanced Options" for my wireless connection on the most recent upgrade, there is no setting available that lets me select "Make this PC discoverable."

12. Samuria Win User
    Can you ping the pcs by name or ip?

Samuria, Jul 31, 2016
  13. Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!!

I can ping all AFTER turning off Bitdefender firewall on the latest upgrade. 'Guess I need to find out how to configure the firewall on that PC. After pinging, they are all showing up in my desktop File explorer but 5 are listed as"No" in the Master Browser column.

14. ​Thanks much for your patience and all of your help. I think I've got it now. Best regards.

yrralrellim, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!!

1. Windows 10 File Sharing Nightmare!! - Similar Threads - File Sharing Nightmare

2. Shared Printer Nightmare

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared Printer Nightmare: Hello,I thought I would ask the million small business question, does Microsoft have a way to fix shared printers or plan on fixing them? This is a VERY big deal to some of us. The update has been VERY destructive.CheersEric...
  3. Shared Printer Nightmare

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared Printer Nightmare: Hello,I thought I would ask the million small business question, does Microsoft have a way to fix shared printers or plan on fixing them? This is a VERY big deal to some of us. The update has been VERY destructive.CheersEric...
  4. Windows 10 recovery Nightmare

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 recovery Nightmare: Hi,I recently noticed my maching was running slow so i can the Lenovo Vantage scan. noticed that the battery wasnt charging despite of being conncted with the charger. So i found out this Error :There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you...
  5. Windows 10 LTSC Nightmare

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 LTSC Nightmare: So, i have heard about the latest security hole in all versions of windows, so, i want to just know has the security patch for fixing nightmare also released for LTSC versions??* Moved from Virus & Malware...
  6. Windows 10 LTSC Nightmare

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 LTSC Nightmare: So, i have heard about the latest security hole in all versions of windows, so, i want to just know has the security patch for fixing nightmare also released for LTSC versions??...
  7. WINDOWS NIGHTMARE

WINDOWS NIGHTMARE: I installed a new gen 4 SSD and changed my motherboard, which began my worst day ever in the past decade. Windows is refusing to boot, stating that my PC can't start properly. The PC refuses to boot with the new NVME drive installed. It works fine when I take it out. I tried...
  8. Windows 10 update nightmare

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 update nightmare: I had an update on my laptop which is hooked up to dual monitors. When I started it this morning, all my display settings were wiped out. My monitors, which were 1 and 2, became 3 and something like 1I14, and they were backward, and the resolution is all messed up. I can't...
  9. Windows 10 Nightmare

Windows 10 Nightmare: So disappointed with the windows 10 upgrade. Had no issues at all with windows 7. Update stopped my printer working eventually sorted with Microsoft tech teams help. Many of the functions in Windows mail are greyed out cannot delete contacts etc. Tried all advice given...
  10. Windows 10 nightmare.

Windows 10 nightmare.: My laptop is currently running slow, I try to go and update. It says I need 8 gigs of storage, when I have deleted every possible thing I could, and only have 5 gigs. How else am I supposed to get the additional 3? I tried to factory reset, won't let me, tried safe mode,...