Windows 10: Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on.

Discus and support Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a ZBOX, which came with Windows 7 installed. This was updated to Windows 10 a few weeks before the free offer ran out & was running fine.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Dave Brzeski, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on.

I have a ZBOX, which came with Windows 7 installed. This was updated to Windows 10 a few weeks before the free offer ran out & was running fine.

Recently, I started getting the error message that Windows Firewall wasn't running & to tap to start it. When I do so, I get told that "Security and Maintenance Can't Turn on Windows Firewall." When I click the link to turn it on manually, I get a window that tells me the "firewall is not using the recommended settings." When I click the "Use Recommended Settings" button, nothing happens. If I click the "View recommended Settings" link, nothing happens. If I go to the Turn Windows Firewall on, or off link, it takes me back to the "firewall is not using the recommended settings" thing.

I have Googled & tried everything I can find online, including the following... Fix: Unable to Activate Firewall in Windows 10. I did discover that this problem has been a common one since Windows 8, but none of the fixes I've found work.
    I've even run ReImage, which I suspect you'll disapprove of, since it's a registry tweaker & they are so often more trouble than they're worth, but that made no difference.

Today, to add to my joy, I discovered that serveral built in Windows apps, such as the calculator, no long run. I discovered how to re-install them through PowerShell, but guess what? Several couldn't be reinstalled because Windows Firewall wasn't running. ReImage did, however restore all of those.

I have run Windows Defender & Malwarebytes, but neither of those, nor ReImage found any problems of that sort.

My only other option, it seems, is to install a third party Firewall, which I'd rather not do.

:)

Dave Brzeski, Nov 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on.

Just as a double check (or is it a triple check?), download, install, update and run a full scan with (free) Malwarebytes. Keep it free, no need to enter a trial. Malwarebytes -
    Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software The scan wont take that long and its a good 3rd party anti malware tool.

If it still does start after that, then what is the exact error message/error number being reported both by the firewall repair tool, AND when you try to start the firewall itself.

George222(2), Nov 18, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on.

Did you run a MacAfee specific removal tool? If not, see if there is one to run for the MacAfee product you had. If so, download and run it. (For example https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101331&_afrLoop=1805017809652099#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D1805017809652099%26articleId%3DTS101331%26centerWidth%3D100%2525%26leftWidth%3D0%2525%26rightWidth%3D0%2525%26showFooter%3Dfalse%26showHeader%3Dfalse%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Dy78g5fc82_49
    or McAfee Removal Tool - McAfee Uninstaller
    IF they are for the MacAfee product you were using).

Have you tried the MS FW troubleshooter - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...agnose-and-fix-problems-with-windows-firewall

George222(2), Nov 18, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on.

Have you opened Settings, typed Firewall, and used all the options as per attachment?

dencal, Nov 18, 2016
  5. Yes, I get to the window in your screenshot, but in my case I have this message, as before...

Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on. [​IMG]

If I click on the "Check Security Status option, it tells me the firewall is off, but as before, when I click to turn it on I get the following...

When I click on the "Turn on Windows Firewall manually link, it takes me to the same window.

The only thing I haven't tried, because I am reluctant to end up needing to reinstall all my apps, is to reset Windows. I'd rather like some assurance that the problem won't reoccur before I go that far.

Dave Brzeski, Nov 19, 2016
  6. Disappointed to have had no suggestions since my last reply. I have since installed the free version of Glasswire, but Windows still thinks it doesn't have a Firewall running & I apparently can't update Apache Open Office, because it seems to need the Windows Firewall to be on to run the update.

Dave Brzeski, Dec 9, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    Dave, have you done the following?
    Do first attach then second.

dencal, Dec 9, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on.

I simply cannot get to those options. When I open Windows Firewall I get the following...

When I click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off I get the following...

In both windows, if I click on the Use Recommended Settings button, the icon shows that the computer is working for a short while, then it stops with no discernible effect. If I click on the "What are the recommended settings?" link, nothing happens.

Dave Brzeski, Dec 10, 2016
  9. dencal Win User
    Try clicking on restore defaults...

dencal, Dec 10, 2016
  10. That didn't work either.

Someone on another forum suggested I try Tweaking.com - Windows Repair 3.9.18

This seems to have done the trick.

Dave Brzeski, Dec 10, 2016
  11. dencal Win User
    Sorry I couldn't help....glad you got it sorted.

dencal, Dec 10, 2016
  12. hals41 Win User
    To Dave -
    Many thanks for your description, thorough documentation, and final solution to this problem. I have it exactly as you descibe and will try the tweaking.com solution. Hope it works for me as well!

hals41, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on.

1. Windows 10 Firewall will not turn on. - Similar Threads - Firewall turn

2. I can't turn on firewall and that creates a lot of problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't turn on firewall and that creates a lot of problems: i can't turn on firewall also i can't use the check for updates feature because it says :There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:...
  3. I can't turn on firewall and that creates a lot of problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't turn on firewall and that creates a lot of problems: i can't turn on firewall also i can't use the check for updates feature because it says :There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:...
  4. I can't turn on firewall and that creates a lot of problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I turn off the notification to turn Windows Firewall back on?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off the notification to turn Windows Firewall back on?: I don't need to turn Windows Firewall back on because I have another paid antivirus/Firewall protection app Webroot on my computer Windows 10 desktop. I have it off because I don't need both of them running. If there's a way to turn off these notifications, please let me...
  6. How do I turn off the notification to turn Windows Firewall back on?

How do I turn off the notification to turn Windows Firewall back on?: I don't need to turn Windows Firewall back on because I have another paid antivirus/Firewall protection app Webroot on my computer Windows 10 desktop. I have it off because I don't need both of them running. If there's a way to turn off these notifications, please let me...
  7. How do I turn off the notification to turn Windows Firewall back on?

8. I Can't Turn On My Windows Defender Firewall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Can't Turn On My Windows Defender Firewall: Acer Nitro 5 is my laptop. The first thing I did was to open the Windows Defender Firewall in the Control panel and as you can see from the image to this link https://imgur.com/a/cdYtEOp I'm getting errors in this page when I upload a photo that is why I had to upload it to...
  9. I Can't Turn On My Windows Defender Firewall

I Can't Turn On My Windows Defender Firewall: Acer Nitro 5 is my laptop. The first thing I did was to open the Windows Defender Firewall in the Control panel and as you can see from the image to this link https://imgur.com/a/cdYtEOp I'm getting errors in this page when I upload a photo that is why I had to upload it to...
  10. I Can't Turn On My Windows Defender Firewall

Users found this page by searching for:

1. firewall not turning on win 10

2. windows 10 firewall will not turn on

3. firewall can not turn on

4. windows 10 firewall not turning on