Windows 10: Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left

Discus and support Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had Windows 10 briefly about a year ago, and I downgraded to Win 8.1 soon after. Frankly, other than the annoying million hour updates, I hated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left

I had Windows 10 briefly about a year ago, and I downgraded to Win 8.1 soon after.

Frankly, other than the annoying million hour updates, I hated hated hated how folder and file names suddenly after one of the major updates were all stuck to the left, and there was no workaround solution to make the folder and file names as They've Always been from XP to Win 8.1 - that would be Centralized.

Does this problem still exist in Windows 10, and if yes, is there a solution for it?

Thanks

:)

RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017

2. Folder and file names are aligned to the left

Looks like, in File Explorer, at the View tab - one must choose Large or Extra Large icons to have centered names. Medium icons will left justify.

Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left [​IMG]

PCR Just PCR, Oct 8, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Folder and file names are aligned to the left

Go into File Explorer.

Right click on Drive name, Click on Rename, Type new name, enter. You will be asked about Administer. Click Continue.

lacrumb, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left

We need screenshot of the problem.

FreeBooter, Oct 8, 2017
  5. Look at this crap.

Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left [​IMG]

This is EVIL! Whoever did this to Windows should be taken outside, and shot.

I'd rather ride Windows XP, or whatever was before that, or anything else, than THAT EVIL!

RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017
  6. I'm sorry but i don't see the problem.

FreeBooter, Oct 8, 2017
  7. Look at MOTHER, and KORRA, and THEORY. Look how they're stuck to the left!

That was NEVER like that, on any Windows - XP, 7, 8, 8.1, probably Vista too.

It wasn't like that on Windows 10 either, and then one of those updates from the underworld happened, and that happened. And at least back then there was no workaround, no way to center the folder and file names.

My eyes and brain refuse to cooperate with that. It's wrong, it's evil.

RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left

Hello RealJustMe, *Smile

This is an issue of the text being aligned to the left instead of center for that version of Windows 10.

Sometimes just resetting folder views back to default may sort this.

*Arrow Reset Folder View Settings to Default in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

If not, then you can download and merge the .reg file below to force text in File Explorer to align to center.

*Arrow Force Windows 10 to Align Icons Text to Center.reg

Brink, Oct 8, 2017
  9. Hey Brink, *Smile

Oh that's sweet. That's gonna be helpful if I encounter that problem again. Thanks a lot.

I remember when I had the problem over a year ago, and I hit Google about it, but there were only a few people reporting the same problem, and no solution available. I guess it must've been a new thing back then.

Plus, some people probably don't care about this minor detail. But for some reason it drives me insane. What can I say, I'm a creature of habit. Don't mess with a good thing windows! If it ain't broken, don't fix it *Smile

RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Yeah, we all tend to break a few things while playing and customizing.

Brink, Oct 8, 2017
  11. Okay, as I said, here I am today having this problem again, just as I did 2 years ago.

I'll try the tuts you posted Brink to see if they'll solve it. I'll report back.

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  12. Okay, restoring things to default just restored things to default, but this center-left bs is like that by default. Windows 10 is ruined by default, see.

So what it did now is it just undid a few changes I made to my folder view and stuff. I'll fix it, no biggie.

But that did not work. I don't see how it would, but I just tried it, just to be complete in my attempts.

Now I'll try the download and merge the .reg file below to force text in File Explorer to align to center thing.

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  13. Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left

Awesome! That worked. Now things are back to sane *Smile

Brink, one more question. Is there a way for me to have the folders display more text before the ... cutoff?

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Using Extra Large icons allows more text if that helps some.

Brink, Oct 12, 2017
  15. Yeah... no *Biggrin

See, I use Large Icons. I can't do Extra Large, and I can't do Medium (I work from home, I ride 15 hours a day on a lap top, I'm a bit specific in how I want things to be).

I asked a question here and with a screenshot, can you take a look please? I think this must be fixable somehow, and easily too.

How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff - Windows 10 Forums

Thanks man

RealJustMe, Oct 12, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left

1. Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left - Similar Threads - Folder File Names

2. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  3. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  4. Files names not showing in folders windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files names not showing in folders windows 10: At the beginning of this week my folders started to not showing the files and folders names, also in some others programs the text is missing too. Is there any way for solving this issue without reinstalling windows.Thanks for your help...
  5. File folder name

File folder name: When I'm trying to type a name into a new file, it will stop me after so many characters. What is going on? How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-name/87c6a0f0-b69b-4506-ac4f-3d340bdc3f21
  6. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name: Hi. I can easily search for folders with a name like "Business". But then I want to find any files in just those folders named "Assets". Can I either make a search using something like AND or can I search for files just within the folders I searched for to begin with. In...
  7. Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder: I used to be able to open and search a Windows 10 folder for documents whose name contains a pattern of letters and Windows 10 would display all the documents with that name pattern separately. I could then copy and paste everything displayed into another folder to work on...
  8. The mapped name of a folder is stuck

The mapped name of a folder is stuck: I can't correct the name of a mapped folder. I can disconnect it but when i recreate it back with the desired name it still keeps the old name. I initially messed it up when I tried to change the name from lower case to upper case in file explorer. INPUT: Drive: X...
  9. Text in Files and Folders Names Aligned to the Left Instead of Center

in Windows 10 Support
    Text in Files and Folders Names Aligned to the Left Instead of Center: Hi guys and admins Few days ago I wanted to fix a very annoying problem on my windows 10. This was my problem: "Text in Files and Folders Names Aligned to the Left Instead of Center" I could solve this problem with a registry file which I downloaded from here:...
  10. File names in Left Panel of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File names in Left Panel of File Explorer: A brief apology: I'm probably too old to mess with this stuff (pulling 80,) but I like to try. Please be patient with me, and ask for details if I am not stating my problem clearly. I have searched, but could not find this problem already discussed in this forum. I just...