Windows 10 forced download - at my wits end.

Discus and support Windows 10 forced download - at my wits end. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have owned windows OS PCs since Win2000. I have never had any issues until I bought my Win10 machine. I am on a limited data plan and have done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Paulieb, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Paulieb Win User

I have owned windows OS PCs since Win2000. I have never had any issues until I bought my Win10 machine. I am on a limited data plan and have done everything I can think of to stop automatic windows updates because they chew up all my data allowance (win10 is updating as I type!)

I am absolutely appalled that MS have removed my personal choice to have or not have updates.However, I have one choice left. This will definitely be my last windows machine.

One final plea for any assistance as to how I can stop this? (I don't think it's possible because despite being on a metered setting, disabling programmes via the task manager etc, etc, the malware that is the update program continues apace.)

I'm seething as I write this!

Just one more thing, how much data does an automatic update use? One GB, two, more?

:)

Paulieb, Jul 3, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 forced download

I actually had a client call yesterday with an email problem. when I tried walking him through some steps, he says "Yeah, I don't see that there, but I think it's because it's updated to windows 10. It did that a few weeks ago. I came back in on Monday, and it said Welcome to Windows 10"..... I think I'd throw the computer out the window.

Ahhzz, Jul 3, 2018
  3. Static~Charge Win User

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Jul 3, 2018
  4. m4gicfour Win User

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Jul 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 forced download - at my wits end. - Similar Threads - forced download wits

2. Windows 10 forced download

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 forced download: I have owned windows OS PCs since Win2000. I have never had any issues until I bought my Win10 machine. I am on a limited data plan and have done everything I can think of to stop automatic windows updates because they chew up all my data allowance (win10 is updating as I...
  3. 3rd party apps Force close and Store doesnt allow downloads

in Windows 10 Support
    3rd party apps Force close and Store doesnt allow downloads: I send a feedback to Microsoft but did not receive any response on my problems I encountered on cummulative update Version 1803 - KB4100403 (OS Build 17134.81) when many of my 3rd party apps opens and immediately closes (Force Close) and also my App Store doesnt show me any...
  4. facebook forces f-secure download

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    facebook forces f-secure download: Guys, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but since this is security related, it might be somewhat correct. Anyway, I logged to my Facebook account and before I could get to my newsfeed, I have a notification from Facebook stating that my system is...
  5. Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?: ... Or is there anyway I could use adobe reader to open PDF documents in EDGE? ... Is there a way to force Edge to download PDF Files, or open in Acrobat Reader? 13696
  6. Is there anyway to pick and choose the Forced win 10 downloads :(

Is there anyway to pick and choose the Forced win 10 downloads :(: Hi Win 10 home - just purchased on ASUS computer (don't know how to determine "build" ) New to win 10 and I really Hate that microsoft forces downloads!!! Has anyone been able to restore the pick and choose function of "the good old days" ? It is not only annoying...
  7. Force shutdown when using Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Force shutdown when using Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10: Hi all, I occasionally get random force shutdown when using Windows 10 (en-gb x86). Now I encounter a program that makes force shutdown every times I using it. It is Media Creation Tool used to to download an iso image of Windows 10. To be sure that it is not fault of...
  8. Force search for updates before downloading?

Force search for updates before downloading?: Hi, I have Windows Update set up to not download updates automatically. Sometimes there comes an update I don't want, so I use the tool provided by Microsoft to hide the update in question. The problem then is that the update is still listed in Windows Update until it...
  9. Forced Download $Windows.~BT folder appeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forced Download $Windows.~BT folder appeared: Hi I have discovered a $Windows .~BT folder on my computer tonight which is several GB in size (5.3Gb, 17,255 files, 3597 folders) and from looking at the files in contains a copy of Windows 10 Professional which would be the correct version from 8.1 Pro which I am...
  10. How to Force Download Windows 10 Fall Update (1511)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Force Download Windows 10 Fall Update (1511): Hello, I have a laptop running Windows 10, I want to update it to Windows 10 Version 1511. But when I go to updates it says my device is up to date *Sad. Need some help, Thanks! 30436