Windows 10: Windows 10 Forced Updates on RTM

Discus and support Windows 10 Forced Updates on RTM in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Microsoft will force Windows 10 Home users to download and install updates to its operating system without any options to turn them off. A final... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by winxp, Jul 16, 2015.

1. winxp Win User

Windows 10 Forced Updates on RTM

Microsoft will force Windows 10 Home users to download and install updates to its operating system without any options to turn them off. A final version of the OS, distributed to testers this week, contains a clause in the end user license agreement (EULA) that reveals Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." The changes have left some Windows users concerned.
    By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s only one other option: download, install, and choose when to reboot. This is a big change from Windows 8.1’s four options that included automatic reboots, choose when to reboot, choose when to download and install, and never check for updates.
    Windows users are concerned over two potential scenarios
    Windows users are concerned over two potential scenarios: forced downloads and faulty updates. Windows 10 will automatically download updates, so those with capped internet connections won’t be able to manage the date downloads are made. Windows 10 updates won’t just be security patches, but they’ll also include feature updates making the download sizes a genuine concern for some. The real worry is over faulty updates, but that’s less of a problem thanks to Microsoft’s "Windows as a service" model. Failed or faulty updates are already very rare, and Microsoft can lean on its 5 million Windows 10 testers to try out updates before they’re distributed more broadly. I can’t remember the last time I had to restore my Windows machine because of a bad patch.

While there are concerns, the advantages far outweigh any of the negatives. If you’re used to family members calling you for technical support because they’ve failed to upgrade to the latest Windows service pack or some malware disabled Windows Update then those days will hopefully be over. Windows 10 updates will be automatic and mandatory, so the OS should act more like Google's Chrome browser. Google updates Chrome regularly, and everyone gets the latest version once they close the browser or restart their machine. It keeps everyone up-to-date and secure, and now all Windows 10 users will benefit from the same approach.

Link to Article

:)

winxp, Jul 16, 2015
  2. Kenny Hui Win User

Microsoft should force Windows 10 RTM and NU user to AU or CU

Microsoft should force Windows 10 RTM and NU user to AU or CU,it would help to make their pc safe if force upgrading RTM and NU user to AU or CU,because one of the Windows 10 User got downgraded to RTM and NU,system become unresponsive,hange alot of program,and
    she was very unhappy,so please force upgrade them

Kenny Hui, Jul 16, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 16, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

You can ALWAYS turn updates off by various SIMPLE means.

1) Don't connect to the Internet --probably not a realistic option for a lot of people.

2) If you don't like option 1 then any SENSIBLE FIREWALL can prevent programs from "phoning home". Just disable connections to some Microsoft sites. It's even easier if you can do it from your Router or use a Linux server as your Internet gateway.

This stuff isn't "Geekish" --it's quite simple.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 16, 2015
  5. LittleJay Win User
    Hopefully there will still be the option to set your wireless network as a "metered connection". That way a person can still control when windows updates are downloaded and installed.

LittleJay, Jul 16, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    jimbo45, Jul 16, 2015
  8. M4v3r1ck Win User

Thanks again Brink for your ever top notch tutorials!

Cheers

BTW Yesterday their was a critical Security Update for all versions of Windows, 10 10240 included! Glad I still run it in a VM. Will upgrade my Windows 8.1 Pro SSD as soon as the dust cloud has settled to the ground! ;-)

M4v3r1ck, Jul 20, 2015
  9. M4v3r1ck Win User
    I always DISABLE auto updates, because to many times Windows Auto Update screwed up my nVidia driver setup with some very old Windows stock drivers. I like to control my updates myself.

I like the notification better so I can choose which updates are right for my systems needs and my own likings!

EDIT: 15:12 Terrible slow update/restart of the overnight Security Update in my VM, thought it was going to crash on me...... *sarc

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Jul 20, 2015
  10. Chrysalis Win User
    set the connection as metered which prevents automatic updates downloading.

However when you decide to update "any" of the updates you will have to install them all.

Chrysalis, Jul 20, 2015
  11. See that's why (at least to me) none of these workarounds really amount to anything because in the end, you'll still have to accept the updates (and if there's any fault or incompatibility introduced, then you're stuck). So it's just delaying the inevitable.

Jody Thornton, Jul 23, 2015
  12. M4v3r1ck Win User
    That's exactly the thing I'm GREATLY worried about.

I always done my updates just by "Download, but let me decide WHAT & WHEN to install"! To many times WU screwed my system with crappy and/or very old 'signed' drivers, e.i. my GTX-670-FTW-4GB. If this is the for the first year of being able to upgrade to Windows 10, I might pass on. Never since Windows 7 did I have any ad/mal/virus-ware in my house, so what's MS so afraid of.

Safe computing, by just simply obeying some basics rules that are tut-ed and shared by so many pro's seems not so hard to understand and performed. If you want to have it 'your way' you'll end up on the high-way and run over by a large truck!

I would really hate the "There's someone in my head, but it's not me" way of forced updating a by me owned-and-payed-for OS X / Windows system. I hope we're all SO wrong at this point!

Cheers

EDIT: Here we go again!

Current drivers:

Windows 10 Forced Updates on RTM [​IMG]

WOW, Windows Update drivers from an update check today:

Windows 10 Forced Updates on RTM [​IMG]

LOL! ;-(

M4v3r1ck, Jul 23, 2015
  13. Windows 10 Forced Updates on RTM

TairikuOkami, Jul 24, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Which .reg option did you use?

What do you see instead?

Brink, Jul 24, 2015
  15. I do not see, what is marked in yellow color. I have used:
    Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU] "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000 "AUOptions"=dword:00000002 "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000 "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Jul 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Forced Updates on RTM - Similar Threads - Forced Updates RTM

2. WIndows 10 RTM Core

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WIndows 10 RTM Core: Hi, I bought a aftermarket notebook - razer blade pro 2017an operating system was Windows 10 enterprise hacked, i thinki scanned with some tools my system and found what in the bios there area key for window 10 RTM Core, can someone tell me how i can now use this key legally,...
  3. WIndows 10 RTM Core

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 RTM Core: Hi, I bought a aftermarket notebook - razer blade pro 2017an operating system was Windows 10 enterprise hacked, i thinki scanned with some tools my system and found what in the bios there area key for window 10 RTM Core, can someone tell me how i can now use this key legally,...
  4. WIndows 10 RTM Core

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 RTM CoreSingleLanguage

Windows 10 RTM CoreSingleLanguage: I do have pre installed W10 HOME SL on my laptop and I recently reformat it and installed W10 Pro. Now I want to return it to W10 HOME SL by using its OEM Product key but the case is I forgot what version of W10 Home SL was installed on it, will any version of W10 ISO...
  6. Windows 10 RTM CoreSingleLanguage

Windows 10 RTM CoreSingleLanguage: I have seconhand laptop that has a pre installed windows 10 home single language, I dont know its version I guest it's Windows 10 Version 1507.I do have a screenshot of its system please see the photo below. [ATTACH][ATTACH] Then my HDD fails and bring it to a technician...
  7. windows 10 forced updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 forced updates: when will Microsoft stop messing up my computer with these forced updates?in the past two months I had three problems.they knocked out my wifi driver,then my audio driver and recently messed up my security....
  8. Windows 10 Forced Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Forced Updates: Once again, I'm going to ask you to please stop crippling my computer with your unwanted "feature updates". But really, there is no way of getting through to you, is there? Over and over I've tried to explain that my laptop just doesn't have room for your updates. No, I can't...
  9. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 RTM 10240.16384

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 RTM 10240.16384: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 RTM 10240.16384 Manually download: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...px?q=KB3140745 Direct download links: x64:...
  10. Windows 10 will not RTM this week

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will not RTM this week: Earlier this week, we reported that Microsoft was expected to hit the RTM (Release To Manufacturing) milestone this week but that deadline has now slipped. The company was initially targeting July 9th for the date, but sources inside the company have indicated that this will...