Windows 10: Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter

Discus and support Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Does anyone have a solution that actually works to stop Microsoft from forcing the update to the latest version of windows ? (I have tried several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017.

1. GKL1520 Win User

Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter

Does anyone have a solution that actually works to stop Microsoft from forcing the update to the latest version of windows ? (I have tried several things already)
    (and I can't use a metered connection as it has to be an Ethernet connection not wifi)

The version of windows I have on that computer is an earlier version of the Windows 10 Home version and Microsoft insists on upgrading it to the latest version.

The "windows update" keeps forcing the download and install of the latest version of windows, so far everything I tried to stop it doesn't seem to work, every time I use the "recovery" to go back to my previous version of windows within about a day it forces the update again, and again and again.

I wouldn't mind the latest version except that it wipes out my network adapter and nothing I tried fixes it EXCEPT going back to the previous version of windows.

Under "recovery" it even states if the latest version gives you problems go back to the previous version, so WHY does Microsoft even have the "recovery" option to go back to your previous version of windows if the latest version is causing problems, when it does NOT let you stay on the previous version but updates you to the latest version again within a day ?

This is getting very frustrating, it seems every day I do a recovery to my previous version of windows and every day Microsoft forces the update to the latest version which wipes out my network adapter (both wireless and Ethernet) and hence my ability to connect to the internet until I do a recovery back to the previous version.

Well, I just checked that computer and its in the process of updating to the latest version of windows AGAIN !!!!!

I guess tomorrow I'll see if it wiped out my network adapter yet again.

:)

GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017

2. How do you stop the forced update to the latest version of windows in the Windows 10 Home version ?

Thanks for asking, it has been resolved as far as stopping the forced upgrade from my earlier version of windows 10 to the latest version of windows 10, but ideally I want to be able to resolve the problem of the latest version of windows 10 messing with
    my network adapter, I have some ideas to try when I have time as far as that.

In the meantime I was able to stop the forced upgrade by setting my Ethernet connection to a metered connection.

I wish I did not have to do that, but the latest version of windows wipes out my ability to get on the internet.

After the forced upgrade to the latest version of windows 10 both my Ethernet and wifi network adapters in device manager have the same error message -

"This device cannot find enough resources it can use. (code 12)"

GaryLeight, Nov 21, 2017
  3. How do you stop the forced update to the latest version of windows in the Windows 10 Home version ?

Actually I prefer no updates at all because it is an older laptop that I only want to use Ethernet hardwired to the router to use Softether VPN server software. So fancy extra features are not needed on that computer.

Like the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the latest version of windows wipes out my network adapter so I have to keep the latest update from installing and/or messing with my network adapter.

I tried that download from your initial reply but it could not find anything to "hide".

So I did more research and found this web page that says you can stop windows from updating drivers using "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"

so hopefully IF windows forces an update to the latest version of windows 10 it won't wipe out my network adapter.

How to Stop Windows 10 From Automatically Updating Hardware Drivers

I hope something works as I am getting very tired of using the recovery option EVERY day to keep restoring my previous version of windows so I can have my internet connection back again.

GaryLeight, Nov 21, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

First off there is no forced upgrade, second off, just because your OS updated for current known security risks for Windows, it would have zero to do with your adapter. As they state in Texas. Small Problem, but long post that states zero about what kind of hardware and that you tried to download the driver for your motherboard or computer to see if you can get it working again.

FCU depreciated a lot of old Windows stuff, along with it stripped out a lot of third party software, since Microsoft has become a lot more strict on what they are allowing on THEIR OS.

Just to let you know. Every OS out there gets a normal security update cycle and software update cycle. Microsoft is just protecting their OS from malware and bad user habits, while at the same time they are protecting the computer that it is installed on, by making it a harder platform to hack.

bro67, Nov 21, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it is possible to set an ethernet connection as metered
    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials
    Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

However- I can't vouch for that personally, nor its effectiveness in necessarily blocking what MS considers necessary updates (note MS's caveat).

As all the drivers are replaced when you upgrade, it's possible you need to use an older driver for your NIC.

This has proved the case for a few people in certain cases.

Blocking the upgrade (or any specific update).
    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Please feel free to search the extensive tutorial section
    Windows 10 Tutorials

Note that Win 10 Pro allows you to delay the delivery of upgrades for at least up to a year; both used to allow you to set updates to Notify only (and not in general download) but that seems not possible in Home now.

dalchina, Nov 21, 2017
  6. roy111 Win User
    I wonder why everyone keep on using this awful words "forced upgrade"
    it's very clrear to see that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down,
    the medicine go down, the medicine go down*Smile

Mary Poppins - A Spoonful Of Sugar (from ) - YouTube

roy111, Nov 21, 2017
  7. GKL1520 Win User
    Thanks for your reply but what else would you call it when you use the recovery feature to restore your previous version of windows 10 and within a day Microsoft keeps automatically updating you to the latest version of windows ?

Why have a recovery option if they won't let you stay on the recovered previous version ?

All I know is on the earlier version of windows 10 my network adapters are there, when it updates to the latest version of windows the network adapters are gone and no internet connections are available.

GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017
  8. GKL1520 Win User

Thanks for your reply, I'll have to see if that metered Ethernet setup would prevent the updates that are wiping out my network adapter.

I'd have to see if I could find that older driver online and see if that might work.

I tried the "hide or show" and when I ran it it said it could not find anything to hide.

GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Unfortunate- another experienced contributor here said running that also checked for updates, so if the upgrade was found, it could be hidden. (Option 1, 9)

I've not used this so can't comment from experience. It may be that you need to try running it a few times to find the upgrade offered.

dalchina, Nov 21, 2017
  10. GKL1520 Win User
    Thanks for the humor, it is appreciated *Smile ........what would have made this a little less frustrating is if I could at least hold off the forced upgrade for even a week at a time so I would not have to do a recovery and restore to my earlier version every day, day after day after day.......*really

GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017
  11. GKL1520 Win User
    It is frustrating that Microsoft seems to deliberately making it difficult. I still don't understand why they even bother to have a recovery and restore option if they won't let you stay on the restored earlier version.

GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    I guess it's called marketing - buy Pro and you have more control.

Your other option is to disable Windows Update by other means:
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    - you will need to look for the sections about Home- you don't have the group policy editor - which is in Pro. (Hint there are said to be ways to enable that in Home if you search- no guarantee on that).

But there's a lot that's poorly conceived for Windows as a general consumer product, and that's evident in the way MS has changed its stance - very very slowly- on some things, and created so much adverse comment on others. An unfortunate consequence of a dominant market position I suppose.

dalchina, Nov 21, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Unfortunate- another experienced contributor here said running that also checked for updates, so if the upgrade was found, it could be hidden. (Option 1, 9)
    I've not used this so can't comment from experience.... I have, so can comment from experience. I use wushowhide on my test machine (System Two below) when restoring earlier versions of Windows (1511, 1607, etc.). I use it to prevent it automatically upgrading itself to the next version.

wushowhide can only hide an update when it appears in the list of available updates for your machine. The problem is that after rolling back to your previous version the features update may not appear for a while.

Checking for updates in Settings > Update & Security will trigger the upgrade if a features update like 'Features update for Windows 10, version 1709' appears in the list.

When you run wushowhide this also checks for updates, but in this case will not automatically start the update. The trick is that you have to get in first with wushowhide to hide the features update before windows update makes its own check for updates. For me that's easy to achieve, I run wushowhide as soon as I've restored any of my older images.

You may need to prevent windows update from checking automatically while you wait for the features update to appear to be sure you get in first with wushowhide. Option Five here may help achieve that.

Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10

14. GKL1520 Win User
    Thanks, I can check out that link you shared, but I have already tried two different things in the registry and one thing in services.msc and it still forces the update.

If I could get my Ethernet and wifi network adapters back on the latest version I wouldn't need to block the updates, so first I'm going to try more things in hopes I can do that.

GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017
  15. GKL1520 Win User
    Thanks if it was mentioned before then I missed it that "after rolling back to your previous version the features update may not appear for a while" so I'll have to check it occasionally.

I tried the "services" idea more than once but it still didn't stop the updates.

On another forum (I think) someone shared a way to set an Ethernet connection to "metered" to try to avoid problem updates, here is the link they shared - https://www.windows10forums.com/arti...home-users.48/

GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter - Similar Threads - forced upgrade wiping

2. Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,: Windows 10 upgrade just hyjacks files , apps, browsers , doc. , some vid. files, removes Chrome, removes firefox, places them in a chrome ext. on the desktop. Windows 10 is slower than Windows 7, a very odd layout for this program, that has many issues like a modern day...
  3. Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,: Windows 10 upgrade just hyjacks files , apps, browsers , doc. , some vid. files, removes Chrome, removes firefox, places them in a chrome ext. on the desktop. Windows 10 is slower than Windows 7, a very odd layout for this program, that has many issues like a modern day...
  4. Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Update KB5003173 Wiped out Network Connections?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update KB5003173 Wiped out Network Connections?: After updating my laptop to the latest update, I can no longer access any networks. My computer says I cannot connect to any networks. I’ve run trouble-shooting programs, tried uninstalling the update, etc and nothing seems to be working. Can anyone help? My computer was...
  6. Forced update wiped my computer.

Forced update wiped my computer.: I just booted up and found that Microsoft did a forced update that wiped my computer clean. It is now like an out of the box brand new computer save for virus software, quicken, and turbo tax. No pictures, no files, my business is gone, no favorites. Nothing. Any suggestions?...
  7. Force profgrams to use specific network adapter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force profgrams to use specific network adapter: Okay so here's my situation. I have on my desktop 2 network adapters (1 pcie, 1 usb), both wifi, and I have access to 2 wifi connections, my home wifi and my phone over 4g. I would like to be able to play games with the 4g connection of my phone because of better stability...
  8. Windows 10 wiped out all my documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 wiped out all my documents: I switched on my HP laptop today and worked on it, everything was fine. I left it on sleep for about 2 hours, and came back to find there was a notification that Windows had signed me out of my user account. However, it logged in, and I found my desktop wallpaper was changed...
  9. Wipe out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wipe out: W10 forced PIN selection to open my laptop this morning 3/21/2020 after functioning okay Humm cannot reach page was still happening, of course. Blue screen with old lit Window image appears with tray icons verticle on screen instead if in tray. Serms old style?! ALL my...
  10. Windows 10 wiped out

Windows 10 wiped out: I recently sat down at my SONY VAIO running WIndows 10 and on the screen was the msg WINDOWS Server 2012 R2 Press Enter to Install As I did not want to install WS2012 R2 I rebooted the box. After that it tried to reboot over and over for then next several hours and I...