Windows 10: windows 10 forever?

Discus and support windows 10 forever? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've a Dell laptop bought with win 8.1. I recently updated to win 10, but have to go back to win 8.1, since some apps do not run fine. I'll wait some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jaca, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jaca Win User

windows 10 forever?

I've a Dell laptop bought with win 8.1. I recently updated to win 10, but have to go back to win 8.1, since some apps do not run fine. I'll wait some time, until these apps be compatible to win 10.
    Am I in risk of loosing win 10 licence if I wait too much time?*Eek
    Thanks

:)

jaca, Feb 4, 2016

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Feb 4, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

windows 10 forever?

Question, how long did you have Windows 10 before you went back and what apps talking about i assume third party apps, did you check with the manufacturer of those apps for updates ? I think until next July might be the cutoff for upgrades.

jds63, Feb 4, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    I am afraid this is completely incorrect.

Once upgraded, you can reinstall Windows 10 (no need to upgrade) free of charge, and get all updates on same device at any time in future.

July 28th deadline only applies to initial upgrade from original OS.

cereberus, Feb 4, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    O.k. so saying if he downgraded after having it over 30 days he is fine to go back to ?

jds63, Feb 4, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Yes - he can go back to old OS or forward to new OS as often as he wishes (note: reverting to earlier version too many times could temporarily block old key, requiring telephone activation to reset install count).

cereberus, Feb 4, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

windows 10 forever?

Alright, i was not sure as from beginning in July 2015 i thought after 30 days were bound to Windows 10 would have issues going back to it after a downgrade. From the issues the thread starter stated i asked certain question due to apps not being compatible and which ones.

jds63, Feb 4, 2016
  9. jaca Win User
    I'm calm, after these answers. No problem in waiting*Cool

jaca, Feb 4, 2016
  10. jds63 Win User
    O.k. ,recheck compatibility of those problem apps with the manufacturer's website for updates. If need more help list which ones are giving you issues.

jds63, Feb 4, 2016
  11. RPmtl Win User
    Should one make a record of the Windows 10 Key that the upgrade installation assigns when it's activated?

If there was a hard disk failure after that July deadline would the person not have a hard time upgrading again for free without that Key?

RPmtl, Feb 5, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Everybody gets the same Windows 10 product key after upgrade (depending on the edition of Windows 10).

Just a few:
    Windows 10 Home TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
    Windows 10 Home Single Language 7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH
    Windows 10 Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2016
  13. RPmtl Win User

windows 10 forever?

Is the Key of the qualifying win7/8/8.1 OS recorded in a MS database and that key would be requested in the event of a re-install?

RPmtl, Feb 5, 2016
  14. jds63 Win User
    Yep, i have third one, Pro version, seen this on my system

jds63, Feb 5, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    When a computer is upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1, the unique Hardware ID of that computer along with the digital entitlement for Windows 10 is stored on Microsoft activation servers. When Windows 10 is re-installed on that same computer, you skip entering the product key. Once it is connected to the internet, Windows 10 will send the Hardware ID to Microsoft activation servers and the matching digital entitlement for Windows 10 will be returned and Windows 10 will activate itself.

The only part the Windows 7/8/8.1 product key plays in this whole process is it is used to create the initial digital entitlement. The Windows 7/8/8.1 product key is not affected by this process - as in it does not become invalid. It remains valid for use under the conditions of the EULA that applies depending on the type of product key it is, retail or OEM.

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2016
Thema:

windows 10 forever?

1. windows 10 forever? - Similar Threads - forever

2. Why is MSN Weather taking forever to load?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is MSN Weather taking forever to load?: When I want to check the weather forecast with the MSN Weather app it frequently takes several minutes to load or I give up wasting so much time watching the dots rotating at other times it will load within 30 seconds or so. I have been using this app. for some while and this...
  3. Why is MSN Weather taking forever to load?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is MSN Weather taking forever to load?: When I want to check the weather forecast with the MSN Weather app it frequently takes several minutes to load or I give up wasting so much time watching the dots rotating at other times it will load within 30 seconds or so. I have been using this app. for some while and this...
  4. my bitlocker decryption process is on going forever and i cant use my files on drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my bitlocker decryption process is on going forever and i cant use my files on drive: my secondary drive on windows 11 was encrypted by bit locker i started decryption process about a month ago 1 it not letting to turn off my laptop or restart 2 there is no progress bar3 i cant use files on my SSD drive the ongoing decrypted drive4after 3 days i used force...
  5. my bitlocker decryption process is on going forever and i cant use my files on drive

my bitlocker decryption process is on going forever and i cant use my files on drive: my secondary drive on windows 11 was encrypted by bit locker i started decryption process about a month ago 1 it not letting to turn off my laptop or restart 2 there is no progress bar3 i cant use files on my SSD drive the ongoing decrypted drive4after 3 days i used force...
  6. Fresh Build Win 10 - Defender is a complete piece of **** - Hpw can I get rid of it forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Build Win 10 - Defender is a complete piece of **** - Hpw can I get rid of it forever: Let me know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fresh-build-win-10-defender-is-a-complete-piece-of/ed81138c-70f0-4cb8-81c0-2cf8305eb8c1
  7. Fresh Build Win 10 - Defender is a complete piece of **** - Hpw can I get rid of it forever

Fresh Build Win 10 - Defender is a complete piece of **** - Hpw can I get rid of it forever: Let me know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fresh-build-win-10-defender-is-a-complete-piece-of/ed81138c-70f0-4cb8-81c0-2cf8305eb8c1
  8. Fresh Build Win 10 - Defender is a complete piece of **** - Hpw can I get rid of it forever

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Windows 11 Task bar forever loading/missing and when I click on it it makes the screen go...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Task bar forever loading/missing and when I click on it it makes the screen go...: After a windows update the following issue as seen in the photo has come up on my computer. Here is a description of the issue: after logging in, the taskbar remains black and when i hover my cursor over it spins the blue circle indefinitely, upon clicking on it the screen...
  10. Windows 11 Task bar forever loading/missing and when I click on it it makes the screen go...

Windows 11 Task bar forever loading/missing and when I click on it it makes the screen go...: After a windows update the following issue as seen in the photo has come up on my computer. Here is a description of the issue: after logging in, the taskbar remains black and when i hover my cursor over it spins the blue circle indefinitely, upon clicking on it the screen...