Windows 10: Windows 10, Framerate capped @60-ish

Discus and support Windows 10, Framerate capped @60-ish in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, I recently upgraded to windows 10 home 64bit. All that went well, my games played 120+ FPS as it should. So I decided to clean install win10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by StoopidxDood, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Windows 10, Framerate capped @60-ish

Hi,

I recently upgraded to windows 10 home 64bit. All that went well, my games played 120+ FPS as it
    should. So I decided to clean install win10, all that went well also, but now
    when I try to play some games, they are all capped at 60 frames per/sec. I often
    cannot even get over 40-ish fps.

I've searched this all over and I am posting this in various places in hopes someone has experienced this and found a fix.

My machine:

i7 4970k
    ASUS Maximus Hero VII
    2-way SLI ASUS GTX680
    16 gb RAM
    Samsung SSD 250gb

Display:
    ASUS VG248QE with DVI-D cable windows detects that it is set to 120Hz refresh rate.

I have tried lowest visual and maximum visual settings.
    I have Vsync disabled in Nvidia Panel and in game.
    I have disabled and even removed the Xbox DVR thing
    All drivers fully updated.

Anyone else experience this?

Thank you.

:)

StoopidxDood, Oct 14, 2015

2. Nvidia Optimus Laptop 60 FPS lock in DX11 games. Has it been fixed?

Hello. I opted in for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it got offered and I was pretty happy except for one issue: forced 60 FPS framerate lock in DirectX11 games. I searched and found that the issue was only present for users of older-generation Nvidia
    laptop dGpus that used Nvidia Optimus. The pool of people using Nvidia Optimus laptops isn't huge, the number of people for whom 60 FPS lock on a 60 Hz display is an issue is even smaller, and it only manifested in Dx11 games so... basically neither Nvidia
    nor Microsoft bothered to fix the issue at the time. And so I downgraded.

System: MSI GT70 - 0NE, i-7 3630QM @ 3.2 Ghz, GTX680M 4GB, Intel HD4000?, 8GB stock ram.

Description of the issue: It was a normal 60 FPS framerate lock, not V-Sync. No I didn't use and forget about external framerate limiters. Nothing that I tried could solve the issue - if it ran on DX11, it had a 60 FPS framerate lock, much
    to my chagrin since the things that I played on DX11 were mostly competitive shooters.

Has the issue since been fixed or do I have to stay bound to Windows 7 forever? I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, this is so niche that I have trouble finding topics even acknowledging the problem. I just repaired my
    laptop and would like to install Win10, but this issue is a dealbreaker.

DastardlyCoxcomb, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Squirty33 Win User
    Request: Higher framerate for games

Aaah, yes, you're definitely right that the performance depends on the developer: I was behind the times and thought that the framerate was still limited to 30 fps by the operating system/XNA framework. Turns out that the framerate can now be increased
    up to 60 fps:

"The XNA Framework on Windows Phone OS 7.1 supports the native device refresh rate, up to 60 Hz. If you set the
    PresentationParameters.PresentationInterval property to
    PresentInterval.One, then the PresentInterval.One value is used, targeting the native device refresh rate."

Source: Changed APIs for Windows Phone OS 7.1

I'll make sure to pass a message on to Half Brick... Hopefully they'll update their game to run at 60 fps soon!

Thanks!

Squirty33, Oct 14, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Windows 10, Framerate capped @60-ish

Might be still an NVIDIA SLI issue with drivers and Windows 10. Knowing there is and was an issue with SLI.

jds63, Oct 14, 2015
  5. Have you tried using something like DDU to make sure that your GPU driver is completely uninstalled, and then reinstalling the GPU driver? With SLI enabled on my W10 system, I have no problem getting well over 60 FPS.

Also, are you sure that SLI is enabled via Nvidia Control Panel?

blackroseMD1, Oct 15, 2015
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Vsync enabled per chance? Are you using a correct refresh rate too? My monitor supports 60Hz and 75Hz (75 for some modes only).

eLPuSHeR, Oct 15, 2015
  7. Hi Doodz,

1. I don't think it is a SLI issue because when I did the upgrade, everything worked fine and I was getting 144 FPS easy as per usual. It is after doing a clean install that everything went outta-whack. Some games I get less 60FPS, other games can seem to apply VSync and work my SLI really hard.

2. I googled DDU, I will test it later and if that still fails, I'm just gonna friggin' do another clean install and hope for the best. Thanks for sharing that.

3. Ya I definately verified Vsync and SLI profile in the NVIDIA control panel and in-game settings. I have disabled and enable off an on all possible settings. My Monitor does up to 144Hz.

Well wish me luck doodz.

Thanks alot.

StoopidxDood, Oct 15, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Share which games, if not all low fps.As said i realized VSync from some of my games will cap the fps.

jds63, Oct 15, 2015
  9. Good luck man. Hopefully DDU helps. Make sure you run it in Windows safe mode so it can remove everything. It'll give you a prompt to boot into safe mode. I use it every single time I install a new GPU driver.

blackroseMD1, Oct 16, 2015
  10. MrNeeds Win User
    firstly, in response to the SLI issue, windows 10 does not support SLI out of the box, the reason it worked before is because it was upgraded and was using the SLI profiles for the windows version before the upgrade (probably 8.1), a fresh install will delete those profiles and there is no way to force them back into nv control panel, Nvidia has since released a working SLI driver for it and should work if you download the latest game ready driver at nvidia.com.

MrNeeds, Oct 18, 2015
  11. Isn't that Asus VG248QE a G-Sync monitor? If yes, Nvidia with their drivers seems to be regularly having issues getting their own technology to work properly, especially in combination with SLI. Suggest you check the Geforce forums and the Asus forums. Additionally, Nvidia's latest hotfix driver was specifically released to deal with G Sync issues. Might want to give it a try if you haven't already. Good luck indeed.

Nvidia 358.59 Hotfix Driver
    Fixes "G-Sync Windowed mode & full-screen performance issue"

specialkone, Oct 18, 2015
  12. Hi doodz,

Thank you all for the responses. So I tried a few suggestions, notably DDU, (Which is awesome by the way thanks for that one blackroseMD1).

So my 2-way SLI works flawlessly for my games like FFXIV, Civilization V. But for older online games that worked before on Win7, I can'T get them to work. And must be related to the game itself somehow. Hopefully with future Nvidia updates or maybe updates to those older games will fix it.

So I guess this is "Resolved-ish". Again I thank everyone for taking a little time to help me.

To Specialkone: Yes the ASUS VG248QE is a GSYNC capable. But I bought one of the earlier versions which does not have it enabled. There was a way to upgrade it for GSYNC, but it would require me to buy an additional do-it-yourself upgrade kit for like 200 or 300 more dollars. The DIY upgrade kit was sold only for a limited time and limited stock back in 2014.

StoopidxDood, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10, Framerate capped @60-ish - Similar Threads - Framerate capped @60

2. 60 fps capped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    60 fps capped: ever since i upgraded windows 10 to windows 11 i get 60 fps capped in fullscreen mode but in windowed mode i get 200+ fps also i did everything i can do to remove it but it didn't work i tried:1 disable fullscreen optimzation 2disable v_syncand more of this things i have...
  3. 60 fps capped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    60 fps capped: ever since i upgraded windows 10 to windows 11 i get 60 fps capped in fullscreen mode but in windowed mode i get 200+ fps also i did everything i can do to remove it but it didn't work i tried:1 disable fullscreen optimzation 2disable v_syncand more of this things i have...
  4. 60 FPS CAP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    60 FPS CAP: Hi so when ever i go into a game my game is capped at 60 FPS even tho i have selected more and my pc is more than capable of running more Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/60-fps-cap/82fa1ade-8376-4b9b-b87d-f751bc700dc6
  5. 60 FPS CAP

60 FPS CAP: Hi so when ever i go into a game my game is capped at 60 FPS even tho i have selected more and my pc is more than capable of running more Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/60-fps-cap/82fa1ade-8376-4b9b-b87d-f751bc700dc6
  6. 60 fps cap fullscreen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    60 fps cap fullscreen: I got a problem,my game have the fps capped at 60 in fullscreen mode and on windowed the fps are capped at 120 -Game bar is off,Disabled the full screen optimizaton,any v-sync in my game or driver is offPlease help...
  7. 60 fps capped issue

60 fps capped issue: I have a rtx 2070 and a 120hz monitor, all my games seem to be caped at 60 - 70 fps. It has run games over 120fps with no problems before. I recently changed a power supply and cpu cooler because of shutdown issues those are fixed now any suggestions....
  8. Capped at 60 FPS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Capped at 60 FPS: Hello so recently when I play Fortnite, I get 60 fps straight. I've tried changing the in game settings and all, but still, I get 59 -60 fps. Could it be a problem with Windows?...
  9. Capped at 60 FPS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Capped at 60 FPS: Hello so recently when I play Fortnite, I get 60 fps straight. I've tried changing the in game settings and all, but still, I get 59 -60 fps. Could it be a problem with Windows?...
  10. Game FPS capped at 60

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game FPS capped at 60: So I'm pretty sure this started happening after the Creator's update. I can't get more than 60 FPS in the games I play (League of Legends, Overwatch). Before I was constantly getting 100+. VSync is off, frame limit is uncapped in both game. Using latest NVidia drivers,...