Windows 10: Windows 10 freezes randomly - update 14393.321

Discus and support Windows 10 freezes randomly - update 14393.321 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I've built my first proper PC about two months ago. It's got an AMD FX-6300, MSI GTX 960 OC 4GB, Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura motherboard, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Finish3r, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Finish3r Win User

Windows 10 freezes randomly - update 14393.321

Hi!

I've built my first proper PC about two months ago.
    It's got an AMD FX-6300, MSI GTX 960 OC 4GB, Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura motherboard, and Kingston 2x8GB 1866MHz ram sticks. For storage I use Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD, and a WD Blue 1TB HDD (The HDD has no files yet). The OS is a Windows 10 Home edition, I bought it, no free update and sadly, no return to Windows 7/8/8.1.

Any time when I use this PC, it may freeze completely randomly, no specific program. The freeze is just a complete hang, with a buzzing sound. So it's not a BSOD.

I seriously need help. I know many things about computers, but I don't know anything about this. I saved 1400 for this computer and it's not even working properly. I am beginning to think that Windows 10 was a huge mistake to buy, while Windows 7 was an option.

Any help is well appreciated!*Smile

:)

Finish3r, Oct 7, 2016
  2. Little.star, Oct 7, 2016
  3. KES728 Win User
    Windows 10 Update 1607 Causes Screen Freezing

My Windows 10 updated to version 1607 on Saturday and ever since my computer will randomly freeze. It has even randomly restarted twice. It's really annoying because I can't do anything without my screen freezing every 5 to 10 minutes. Is there a way to
    fix this or uninstall this version?

KES728, Oct 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, as you'll appreciate, causes could be many and varied, from Win 10 issues to hardware.

Absolute basics: do you experience this in Safe Mode?
    After a clean boot?
    I would expect you've tried that.

Discussion here which may prompt thought:
    windows 7 - How to diagnose computer lockups and freezes? - Super User

Wait chain:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/analyz...hain-traversal
    (if specific processes freeze and the PC is still responsive - if!)

If you wanted to check if it's a late Win 10 problem (freezes widely reported post build 1607) you could
    - image your current build (for restoration)
    - install, say, build 1511 for test purposes and try that
    - potentially restore your image.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2016
  5. Eksy61 Win User
    Well, here we go again.

I also have an Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura mobo. In fact, your system config is similar to my own, except I have an FX-8320.

And like you, I was getting random freeze-ups.

The only thing that fixed it was to disable C6 states in the BIOS. After I did that, it's been rock solid and hasn't frozen up once. So please try that.

It's in the CPU Configuration section of your Advanced Mode BIOS settings. In your Pro Gaming 970 User Guide, look at section 2.6.1.

There's already been plenty of discussion about this in the thread

Windows 10 freezes randomly - Page 68 - Windows 10 Forums

And a google search will reveal that many other users have encountered the same problem, with the same fix.

Eksy61, Oct 8, 2016
  6. Finish3r Win User
    Ok, I didn't think it would be my mobo which (probably) caused it.

I'll try that, and reply again to tell if it helps or not *Smile

Finish3r, Oct 8, 2016
  7. Finish3r Win User
    Well, it just froze yet again. Could my overclocks cause this? The CPU is at 4.6GHz at 1.52 volts, and GPU is at 1373/7980MHz.

Finish3r, Oct 8, 2016
  8. Finish3r Win User

It just froze for the 2nd time after disabling C6 state. Disabling overclocks didn't help.

*EDIT* Accidentally left the overclocks enabled. Now it is completely stock, except for disabled C6 states.

Finish3r, Oct 8, 2016
  9. Eksy61 Win User
    I reread your original post. I didn't have any buzzing sound with freezeups. That's starting to sound more like a driver problem or the relevant hardware. Did you update all drivers?

Did you check temperatures to see if any component is overheating?

Did you update the BIOS to the latest version (August 2016)? You might want to do that. Since you already overclocked, you might need to reset CMOS before updating BIOS.

And in BIOS, try updating RAM voltage slightly. You've got 16 MB of fast RAM there.

Eksy61, Oct 8, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    In another lengthy thread (68 pages) Asus motherboards are frequently mentioned.

Some things I noted: Update Acronis TI from 2014 -Again, if you already installed Acronis before and have uninstalled it, you will still have the issue. You'll have to reinstall Windows 10 to me that suggests elements not properly uninstalled; an unsupported wifi card & driver; disconnect from internet - freezing stops; update BIOS; And just as you found, disabling "Core C6 State" in the BIOS eliminated the problem!; Windows 10 Freezing Issue Solution - YouTube

I've skim read 1-23 and the last 4 or 5 pages. Worth looking thru if stuck.
    Windows 10 freezes randomly - Page 65 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Oct 8, 2016
  11. Eksy61 Win User
    Back when I was still using Windows 7, I got rid of Acronis when I saw how it was splicing itself into the system software and giving me its own share of glitches and freezes. I have used Paragon HDM for backups and recovery ever since.

The way Acronis works, I can easily see how updates to Windows 10 could cause problems with it.

Eksy61, Oct 9, 2016
  12. Finish3r Win User
    Ok, C6 states have been disabled for a day, but the crashing is just getting worse. And I haven't installed Acronis (never had Acronis in this PC). I'll update BIOS and report any problems later.

Finish3r, Oct 9, 2016
  13. Finish3r Win User

Never had overheating problems, at least to my knowledge (HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner should be reliable, right?). I'm going to update the BIOS, and all drivers should be properly installed, according to Driver Booster 4.

And I just upped the RAM voltage from 1.5 to 1.525 volts.

Finish3r, Oct 9, 2016
  14. Eksy61 Win User
    What software do you have running on your PC?

For example, I found a conflict between Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Norton Internet Security, causing my PC to lock up.

And you may want to increase the RAM voltage a bit when you update the BIOS.

Since you had already overclocked the machine before (though you disabled that now), don't forget to reset CMOS before updating BIOS.

Finally, if your PC freezes again, then reboot and launch the Event Viewer (which you can get to from Computer Management). Take a look at which events were taking place just before the freezeup. Let us know if you spot any errors or anything else unusual.

Eksy61, Oct 9, 2016
  15. Finish3r Win User
    I usually have Steam, Skype, Mozilla, sometimes Spotify, and a random game running (not for a while because of the freezing).

I'll increase the RAM voltage to about 1.54 - 1.55 volts.

But how exactly do I reset CMOS? I never owned a proper PC (cheap laptops always), so I don't know about that yet. *EDIT* I had the default settings before updating BIOS, is that enough?

I'll surely check out Event Viewer and take a screenshot if it freezes.

Finish3r, Oct 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 freezes randomly - update 14393.321 - Similar Threads - freezes randomly update

2. Windows 10 freezes randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 freezes randomly: Dear Sir/ Madam,We found that on all our public computers, Windows 10 freezes randomly the number lock and the mouse did not respond. I have already updated all drivers, firmware and all Windows Updates, and then, I also tried disable the C-state and Intel Speedstep, but the...
  3. Windows 10 randomly freezes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 randomly freezes: Hi, I'm having an issue with my windows 10 Pro instalation. I started getting some weird freezes, where system sort of freezes. I still can hear music, but very lagy, robotic sounding and repeating. I can still move my mouse, but I cannot interact with any windows or anything...
  4. Runtime Error 57:321

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Runtime Error 57:321: Hello i want to install a softphone software, while starting the installation just after chosing the language im getting Runtime Error Runtime Error at 57:321 SWbemLocator: Not found i contacted the soft phone software company, they said i need to contact microsoft...
  5. Windows 10 freezing randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 freezing randomly: So far the issue only happened 3 times. The first 2 times it was during Skype calls with a friend, so I first thought the issues was related to Skype. I was not on Skype calls (just text chat) since then, but the issue occured again yesterday. The way it goes is as follows:...
  6. Windows 10 1803 Update Random Freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1803 Update Random Freezes: So I just updated and used Win 10 1803 from 1709 for 6 months, and during these 6 months, I've experienced random freezes while using Windows, especially when I play League Of Legends, the freezes are so annoying, it cannot be the Hardware Problems since my PC has just...
  7. Windows 10 build 14393

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 build 14393: I've been trying to update a laptop at work that is currently on build 14393 to the current. It just blue screens and then reverts to a working version. It won't pull WSUS updates until it's current. I've tried all the crap suggested in this article...
  8. Windows 10 Upgrade Build 14393

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Upgrade Build 14393: when trying this upgrade I receive, "C++ runtime error; Program C:\windows... BT\Sources\SetupPlatform.exe". I reply OK and it reverts back to Windows 10 before the upgrade. 65042
  9. windows 10 randomly freezes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 randomly freezes: Windows 10 build 10586.14 randomly freezes and requires a power button restart. Happens once or twice per week. Never happened until I upgraded to Windows 10 when it was first available for the public. 32686
  10. Windows 10 freeze randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 freeze randomly: I installed a new graphics card while I was still on Windows 7 and was having the same issue so I figured I might as well do a fresh install of Windows 10 while I'm at it, but I have the same problem still and it makes my pc unusable at times 49972