Windows 10: Windows 10 freezes up and I have to reboot

Discus and support Windows 10 freezes up and I have to reboot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a brand new computer. It came with Win 8.1 and I accepted the Windows 10 free upgrade. Have had this HP computer now for 11 days and it has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BigBear, Mar 18, 2016.

1. BigBear Win User

Windows 10 freezes up and I have to reboot

I have a brand new computer. It came with Win 8.1 and I accepted the Windows 10 free upgrade. Have had this HP computer now for 11 days and it has froze up exactly 4 times. When it freezes I cannot do anything- ctr+alt+delete does not work, and the esc key does not work. I have to unplug the computer for a minute then plug it again and reboot. So far I am not able to decipher what is causing the problem. Everything else is working great. Can anyone tell me how to pinpoint what is causing the freezing?

:)

BigBear, Mar 18, 2016
  2. PhPhSd Win User

Trackpad freezes at random, and I have to reboot

I bought an Acer TravelMate laptop last month, updated to Windows 10 right away.

The trackpad have been randomly freezing while I'm using the laptop. Happens multiple times a day. Keyboard works, as an external USB mouse, it's just the trackpad. When it happens I have to reboot.

I followed the instructions in this thread but the problem persist

Trackpad stops working 5 minutes after starting up computer (Windows 10)

Please help

PhPhSd, Mar 18, 2016
  3. Trackpad freezes at random, and I have to reboot

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

It’s unfortunate that Trackpad becomes inactive frequently. I will be glad to help you.

Just a few questions first to understand the issue better;

1) What is the make and model of the Trackpad?

2) When did this issue with Trackpad start?

3) Did you make any recent hardware or software changes to your computer?

4) Does the Trackpad freeze randomly or during a particular process?

From what you have mentioned, I suggest you to try these steps to see if it resolves the issue:

Method 1: Troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices.

I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your touch screen. Refer these steps:

1. Right click on Start button, select Control Panel.

2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

3. Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all
    option on the left panel.

4. Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Method 2 : Update drivers

I suggest you to check for updated drivers for your trackpad in the manufacturer’s website.

Refer below articles for more information:

Updating a Driver

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Method 3: Compatibility mode

A compatibility mode is a software mechanism in which a software either emulates an older version of software in order to allow incompatible software or files to remain compatible with the computer's newer hardware or software.

1. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

2. Select Compatibility Tab.

3. Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode
    and select the operating system

accordingly from the drop down list.

4. Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Vinodh Kumar V, Mar 18, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

jds63, Mar 18, 2016
  5. BigBear Win User
    I booted my computer in "safe mode" but I do not know what to do while here.

Since I first posted this message this evening my pc froze up again. I have noticed that it froze twice upon using Open Office. I have been using this program for many months now with no problem. I don't know why it would all of a sudden be a problem on this new computer... if perhaps it is the problem.

BigBear, Mar 18, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    Safe mode is to determine if a driver or running process maybe causing this issue, this makes OS use basic drivers and eliminates most processes except microsoft . You said 4 times in 11 days, this does not sound constant but intermittently which does make it hard to narrow down. You just mentioned using open office made this occur and you first stated everything else works great. Works great how, all other programs only certain ones ?

Have you updated all important system drivers for Windows 10 from HP's site for your model PC ? Also Video card. http://support.hp.com/hk-en/drivers/...A0AQC11TA930C7

Have you been receiving updates from Windows update ? 2nd Link i gave you in post # 2 tells you possible causes as you can see there are many reasons for this issue. Look to see if Open Office has any updates for Windows 10.

jds63, Mar 18, 2016
  7. BigBear Win User
    Yes, I read down through that page that told all the possible reasons for pc freezing. My computer is setup for automatic updates for both Windows and HP. I did already look at all of that earlier in the day, and clicked on 'update' anyway but everything was already up to date. Have already been to the HP website for my pc too.

Going into "troubleshoot" and safe mode has somewhere caused me to lose all of my personal files. I could just cry. Nowhere did I ever specify to delete my personal files but my computer did it to me anyway. I was up late a couple of days ago downloading a bunch of files that I lost with my computer that died on me before I bought the HP. Now I have to try to get those files again and they may not even be available.

Open Office on my computer was also fully up to date. There is nothing on the Open Office website about being compatible with Windows 10, and I have found no one complaining of issues about it either so I have no idea what is going on with that. Tonight I am, however, trying another program to see if the problem subsides.

My pc froze up twice today so that makes 5 times in 11 days.

BigBear, Mar 18, 2016
  8. BigBear Win User

This morning I went back to this HP website to check for updates. I am now getting an error message.

BigBear, Mar 18, 2016
  9. BigBear Win User
    I attempted to install the NVIDIA video driver and received a message that it was not compatible with my computer. When I look at the "Device Manager" on my pc there is only a audio driver appearing under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers."

Is my computer missing something?

BigBear, Mar 18, 2016
  10. jds63 Win User
    What did you mean exactly setup for automatic updates for HP ? Not sure i understand how going to Safe Mode made you loose files or which troubleshoot did you mean, then go on saying about lose of these files from a PC that you had in the past that died ?

What do you use for a Security which Anti-Virus ? Ever run a full system scan to rule out infection on this PC ? Malwarebytes free is also good to run. Open Office might be freezing for the same reasons the PC does, but outdated software can cause you issues and this is the reason i said make sure it is up to date, the latest updates.

As said before without running it for good amount of time in safe mode you can not determine if it can be software, Non Microsoft running process or drivers. If it does not lock up then it is these types of issues, if it freezes then it can be hardware related or overheating issues.

jds63, Mar 18, 2016
  11. jds63 Win User
    You do not need to run this to detect your PC since you know the model and serial number.Just failed connecting to scan your PC through your Modem.

jds63, Mar 18, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    Seems you have an Intel integrated Display Adapter. Looking under Display Adapter in Device Manager for this. You have an integrated Sound Device Realtek, which would show under Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

Here are some of the important system drivers you may need updated. Did you have some kind of HP Assistant Software that checks for updated drivers and downloads them for you, what you mentioned before ?

Windows 10 freezes up and I have to reboot [​IMG]

The one for Driver Storage Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, the SATA setting for this in the BIOS should then be set to AHCI mode, most likely is already but if you are not sure skip this one for now i will help you more.

Also in Driver Storage there are 2 Card Reader drivers i do not know which one your system has to download it and install, it does not show in system specs.

Drivers for Network list a 3 different Wireless Lan drivers and one Ethernet Lan, as i am not sure yet which one. Also listed here are Bluetooth device drivers. Check in Device Manager under Network Adapter right click and select properties give me the information there and if you see wireless network.

Some of your issues with freezing can be due to memory, ever check amount of items starting up in task manager's startup tab, try to eliminate startups. Even looking at the Process tab and Performance Tab shows you usage for even the CPU.

One thing about this system i do not like is it's Power Supply only 65W to be so little.

Windows 10 freezes up and I have to reboot [​IMG]

jds63, Mar 18, 2016
  13. BigBear Win User

Yes! HP Assistant is on my computer, and it says that everything is already up to date.

I have never heard of AHCI and do not know where to look for that, but I did already do the BIOS update a few days ago. It came up in the HP Assistant thing.

Attachment 70385

I did not even realize that about the computer when I bought it. There was no one to help me buy a new computer.

I am confused too because I have in years past gone into "Safe Mode" before and never lost files. I am a little familiar with the Windows 10 troubleshoot options because I tried them on my previous computer. I owned a Dell previously which I had for 5 years. It crashed and died on me. According to my search on the internet, the error message I received on it meant that the pc was dead (my short answer). This is how I became familiar with some of the new troubleshooting techniques with the option of keeping personal files or deleting everything and reinstalling Windows. Last night when I went to open one of my personal files I discovered it was not there.

I do have everything backed up to my knowledge. Bought several flash drives. I have setup an automatic scheduled backups, etc. But last night with suspicion about whether or not Open Office may be the problem I downloaded a couple trial versions of other programs to try so I thought that if I restored a previous back up that it would mess up my trial versions so I did nothing.

Lo and behold, the one file that was so important to me has resurrected. I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I am living in the Twilight Zone.

Is the Power Supply in this HP something that I can replace with a better one? Or is this a proprietary part?

So far today the computer has not froze up at all. I wish that I could remember exactly where the freezing happened the first 3 times but I do know where it happened the last two times. Perhaps the computer could not handle my large Open Office document? To test things out I divided the file last night. I really hope that nothing is wrong with the computer because it would be a huge headache.

BigBear, Mar 19, 2016
  14. jds63 Win User
    First step on insuring proper operation of this system and helping with this issue is making sure drivers are updated to the latest for Windows 10. Always chances there is conflict with drivers or corruption, were safe mode can determine.

Since this is an intermittent issue makes it hard to pinpoint in any case here. As far as AHCI open Device Manager and look under IDE\ATA ATAPI Controllers open it do you see all Standard SATA AHCI controllers or Intel SATA AHCI Controllers ? Will perform better in AHCI.

Your attachment for Network was invalid when clicked. I am not sure about this type of Power Supply saying it is an external one as mentioned in system specs at HP and changing it, it was just an observation and hardware then can sometimes have issues.

There is troubleshooting in the OS, but do not think may help running it as it is usually for each item individually what we are trying to do it troubleshoot it, safe mode and by looking at the steps in that link that showed you possibilities of freeze ups and hangs.
    Recovering lost files are not always easy to do, i do not know how they were lost going into safe mode that is odd. True always backup important files on an external device in case of hard drive failures.

As mentioned in my last post checking startup items and eliminating some if too many will cut down on the demand it may be putting on the system and may cause locks ups. Looking at the percentage in the processes and performance tabs under CPU and Memory.

Ever think of doing a clean install of Windows 10 ? May resolve it unless due to certain drivers you use or hardware issues why it is not always a solution to every problem.

jds63, Mar 19, 2016
  15. jds63 Win User
    Might want to check for any heat related issues with this PC. Can use this free software and monitor the temps for awhile while using the PC.
    Try posting a screen capture here so we can look at it ,can be done with Paint. Ctrl+printscreen, left click in Paint and then Paste then can crop it more if you like, File save as jpeg.
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

I was also thinking about what is called an inplace repair upgrade to substitute the clean install thought if we go that route. You will not loose anything except some settings, to me any of these are always a last resort to try after all else is tried.

jds63, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 freezes up and I have to reboot - Similar Threads - freezes reboot

2. Windows 10 Update freezes at 99% on reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update freezes at 99% on reboot: Hi. By the last regular W10 Update last week my W stucks on reboot.I waited 1 night and made a hard reset but no changes.Then 3 reboots after hours with same result .I dont know the kb number, who would remember..?What can i do?Thx...
  3. Windows 10 Update freezes at 99% on reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Update freezes at 99% on reboot: Hi. By the last regular W10 Update last week my W stucks on reboot.I waited 1 night and made a hard reset but no changes.Then 3 reboots after hours with same result .I dont know the kb number, who would remember..?What can i do?Thx...
  4. Windows 10 Update freezes at 99% on reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. PC freezed and started making cracking sounds during game, and after reboot the hardware...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezed and started making cracking sounds during game, and after reboot the hardware...: My PC froze in the middle of a game and started making strange cracking noises. Now, after rebooting, the monitor, mouse and keyboard completely aren't working, like it don't respond, but the PC is on. I've checked and rechecked all the cables hundred times, but the issue...
  6. PC freezed and started making cracking sounds during game, and after reboot the hardware...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC freezed and started making cracking sounds during game, and after reboot the hardware...: My PC froze in the middle of a game and started making strange cracking noises. Now, after rebooting, the monitor, mouse and keyboard completely aren't working, like it don't respond, but the PC is on. I've checked and rechecked all the cables hundred times, but the issue...
  7. PC freezed and started making cracking sounds during game, and after reboot the hardware...

8. PC freezed and started making cracking sounds during game, and after reboot the hardware...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. PC freezed and started making cracking sounds during game, and after reboot the hardware...

10. PC freezed and started making cracking sounds during game, and after reboot the hardware...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware