Windows 10: Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed

Discus and support Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi all experts, maybe this topic is already somewhere answered but I didn't find any solution after 2 days of searching web. So when I installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by bezousek, Apr 24, 2016.

1. bezousek Win User

Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed

Hi all experts,

maybe this topic is already somewhere answered but I didn't find any solution after 2 days of searching web. So when I installed windows 10 on my Gigabyte laptop P2542G it stops working after nvidia drivers are updated. It always ask me for a restart and then it freezes after I login to the system. When I go to the safe mode and install driver 326.83 which is posted on manufacturer web page for windows 8.1 it works fine. I need to disable updates for my nvidia card and then I can use my laptop normally. Unfortunately when I want to play some game (especially XCom2) it will not run it on Nvidia card but only on the integrated one (I have nvidia optimus). So it means I cannot play the games :-(

I tried to install new driver and install process is ok when I deselect gforce experience. New driver doesn't need a restart and then I can play the games without any trouble. But when I restart it gets frozen again and then I need to go to safe mode and roll back driver. This means that HW is ok when it works in scenario mentioned above. There will be just some SF problem, some settings, some driver mismatch during login.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks to all

:)

bezousek, Apr 24, 2016

2. Windows 7 to 10 upgrade on a Dell Precision 390?

Hi Prahalad,

the graphics drivers install without any problems. The random freeze/hang issue is while running Windows 10 with the NVIDIA graphics driver.

Uninstalling the NVIDIA driver and installing the Microsoft Basic Display driver fixes the freeze/hang issue.

Thanks.

Graham Hay, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Mouse blocking on taskbar

Hello,

Recently i bought a new notebook from HP . After i installed Windows 10 the things works fine until i installed the nVidia driver , mouse start lagging on taskbar. I figured it out that when geforce experience is running i have no freeze or something like
    that.

UrsescuIonut, Apr 24, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Your Computer: GIGABYTE - Laptop - Laptop - P series - Legacy - P2542G

The graphics configuration is:
    Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed [​IMG]
    To Work with Optimus, You need to install the driver for Windows 10 from manufacturer's website; and Gigabyte does not offer Windows 10 in this laptop.
    Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed [​IMG]
    Well, Windows 10 Drivers are available for GTX660M. It is here: http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/100869/en-us
    But there is a limitation there .... I am quoting it for you from that page:
    An Optimus enabled Laptop only accepts the graphics driver that is supplied by OEM manufacturer, modded and designed to work with their Optimus settings.

It would be all better that you go back to Windows 8.1 until Gigabyte officially supports windows 10 for this laptop and releases drivers compatible to it.

5. bezousek Win User
    Thanks for your reply. I already contacted Gigabyte support and they told me that this laptop is too old (2012) and they will not provide support for windows 10. So ok its clear for me that there is some magic behind that I am not able to install newest driver for windows 10.
    But is there at least a way how to force games (XCom2) to run on the graphics NVidia? Or new games just need new drivers and I have no chance to let them work?

How should I explain that if I install newest driver while I am logged in. Everything works fine and I can even run the XCom 2. But everything goes wrong after restart? There must be some settings how to fix it or is it really so manufacturer dependent that I have no chance?

Thanks for any feedback.

bezousek, Apr 25, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    If you want to achieve it, you need to disable Optimus. There are settings for it; but Locked up in the BIOS by the manufacturer, kept out of reach of the user.

A woyout is there in the AutoDesk Community; but there is no guarantee that it will work for you. If you try it, the process of unlocking the BIOS may damage the board permanently. So if you want to proceed with it, do at your own risk.
    Keep in mind the high volume of risk and the low probability of success.

7. bezousek Win User
    Thanks for the response I will not try to break the bios. But I did several attempts with clean install.

Win 8 + Intel driver from manufacturer page + Nvidia 326.83 -> everything works, even the optimus for games
    Win 8 + Intel driver from manufacturer page + Nvidia 364.72 -> freeze after restart
    Win 10 + Intel driver from manufacturer page + Nvidia 326.83-> games not working
    Win 10 + Intel driver from manufacturer page + Nvidia 364.72 -> freezes after restart

So even on windows 8 newer drivers doesn't work. From the gigabyte support they wrote me I need to install newest bios F30DA (I have F30CA) but unfortunately I have my battery gone. Without battery their utility will not let me to update bios :-(

bezousek, Apr 26, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

Is the battery damaged? It is not a big deal to replace the battery.

9. bezousek Win User
    Ok so I was finally able to update bios without battery (interesting story) and after bios update new nvidia driver works fine under windows 10. So I can now play even games Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed :)

Thanks.

bezousek, Apr 28, 2016
  10. hypa3000 Win User
    Awesome thanks for info -

Just happened to find this thread as thinking of updating my laptop to Windows 10....but i can see i will need to update Bios now to fix the issues...*Cool

i have the same Gigabyte laptop and Win 8 was freezing on login since updating new nvidia drivers (last 5-10 updates i tried)....so reading comments on this thread makes sense *Smile

one bit of news i can add is - my battery failed too...i was searching everywhere for a replacement for ages (ebay / chinese global suppliers)...

in the end i contacted Gigabyte support and they referred me to an IT repair company based here (in the UK) and had to order a new replacement battery.

It was NOT cheap (around £90), but came very quickly and all working ok now...

Here's the code for the OEM battery from the invoice:

BATTERY LI-ION 3S2P 5400mAh V0 961T2008F GNS-86S SDI CELL SMP

Can't wait to update Bios, install Win 10 and update nvidia drivers now *Party

UPDATE:
    Updated to latest gigabyte bios for this laptop (bios from 2015)
    Updated Nvidia driver to latest 365.10 (May 2016)
    No more freezing at log on!! *Smile
    Now Upgraded to Windows 10 with these latest drivers - working so far so good (haven't tried any games yet though) - no freezing! Thanks for this post!

(ps. for reference old nvidia drivers that worked with old bios on Win 8.1 on this laptop were 344.75)

hypa3000, May 1, 2016
  11. AtriosM3 Win User
    Hello Bezousek,

How were you able to update BIOS without battery? I am facing the same issue. I need to update, but do not want to invest in a new battery at this time. I am stuck on win 8 and would like to transition to win 10, but cannot do so until I get this update to go through, but stuck due to dead battery. Any lead way, or instructions on how to bypass the dead battery part to push through the BIOS update would be much appreciated =)

AtriosM3, Jun 1, 2016
  12. pyrox Win User
    Hi,
    Could You please tell us how to flash bios without battery?

pyrox, Sep 12, 2016
  13. bezousek Win User

Hi all,

I am happy that my story helped someone and sorry for late answer but I didn't receive any email.

So I downloaded zip file from gigabyte page. Inside is a exe file which is in fact a self executed archive. If you extract it you get couple of folders and files. Inside you will find folder bios where is a batch file called p.bat. This batch file needs one command line argument. I dont remember it know but I took SmartFlash.exe in folder above and dissasemble it in dotPeek. This showed me the source code how this p.bat is executed (you need to understand c#). So I ran it and viola bios updated Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed :)

P.S. Sorry I don't remember the command line and have not a time to do this again right now.
    P.S.S Actually when I am thinking about it I tried it without parameter and it worked. I think you can try it if it needs something it will not execute update. But I cannot guarantee Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed :)

bezousek, Oct 5, 2016
  14. pyrox Win User
    yepp, just unpack exe,
    open cmd as administrator, go to BIOS folder, and execute p.bat,
    also, if your EC version outdated(have no idea what is it), you can go to EC folder and execute bat file to update it.

I updated only bios. but be aware, if there will be issues with electricity, your bios will probably die *Sad

pyrox, Oct 9, 2016
  15. Hello! I am experiencing the same issue with my gigabyte p2542g. I updated to Win 10 some time ago, but I had to uninstall nvidia driver and turn off the automatic updates, as the latest nvidia driver version would prevent windows from starting. I have a few questions about updating my BIOS to the latest version (F30DA). I still have a functioning battery, so I would like to do the updating from a USB drive instead of poking individual files. Can you help me with these questions:

1) Should the USB drive be in FAT32 format?
    2) Should I keep the computer connected to internet as I update BIOS?
    3) And then just follow this guy's instructions on the video: How To Update Your Bios - Windows 10 (Every Computer) 2016! - YouTube

Please reply!

Vegetaristi, Jan 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 freezes when new Nvidia driver installed - Similar Threads - freezes Nvidia driver

2. Nvidia Display 27.21.14.6262 failed to install when installing new driver Nvidia 526.47.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia Display 27.21.14.6262 failed to install when installing new driver Nvidia 526.47.: Hello everyone! After installing driver 526.47, I got an error in Windows Update - Nvidia Display 27.21.14.6262 failed to install error code 0x80246019. I installed driver 526.47 through geforce experience using a clean install. After express re-installing the problem no...
  3. Nvidia Display 27.21.14.6262 failed to install when installing new driver Nvidia 526.47.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nvidia Display 27.21.14.6262 failed to install when installing new driver Nvidia 526.47.: Hello everyone! After installing driver 526.47, I got an error in Windows Update - Nvidia Display 27.21.14.6262 failed to install error code 0x80246019. I installed driver 526.47 through geforce experience using a clean install. After express re-installing the problem no...
  4. BSOD when installing nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD when installing nvidia drivers: Earlier I was trying to update to Nvidia's new driver when the installation was almost at its end my pc crashed and kept giving me BSOD. After trying everything from system recovery I had to install clean windows but now I can't seem to install my GPU driver even the old ones...
  5. Nvidia Error & Win10 Crash when installing Nvidia Drivers...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Nvidia Error & Win10 Crash when installing Nvidia Drivers...: Hey there everyone! I recently had an unexpected shutdown while playing, then I had to uninstall my gpu drivers. Afterwards, I wasn't able to download them back since I am getting a BSOD everytime halfway through the download... The blue screen displays the error: PAGE...
  6. Windows 10 freezes after i install Nvidia driver. [Help]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 freezes after i install Nvidia driver. [Help]: Today i formatted my PC. So it started installing drivers once it finishs from nvidia driver it completely freeze. My GPU is GT 710 2GB. sometimes it shows bdos errors. submitted by /u/swordkannn [link] [comments]...
  7. nVidia driver - freeze on Windows 10 startup on fresh installation

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    nVidia driver - freeze on Windows 10 startup on fresh installation: i7-2600 6 GB RAM new SSD HDD Fresh installation of Windows 10 Home 2004 (build 19041.264) nVidia GT 545 I installed UEFI version of Windows and everything was OK but when I update graphics drivers screen goes black. I'm able to press enter on end of installation to reboot....
  8. New nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New nvidia drivers: So I installed the new drivers tonight, it installed then restarted annnnnd I got nothing, black screen. Took it out and hooked up onboard graphics and it works. Anyone else have this issue?
  9. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card): Hello, I have had Windows 10 pretty much since official release- and it's great! One problem however; it seems to crash every now and then. By crash, I mean the computer freezes up (No BSOD) and I can't move mouse nor turn num-lock off... The only option is to force shut...
  10. New NVIDIA Windows 10 drivers fail to install?

New NVIDIA Windows 10 drivers fail to install?: Woke up this morning..saw NVIDIA had released drivers for Windows 10. I downloaded them at home from my phone using Google Remote Desktop. Tried installing them 3 times…keep getting failed installations? Haven’t had this happen in a long time. Any idea what happened? 5726