Windows 10: Windows 10 Freezes While Installing Updates; Always Have to Reset PC

Discus and support Windows 10 Freezes While Installing Updates; Always Have to Reset PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I try to install updates on Windows 10, it freezes on shut down and when I try to start my PC again, I can't get to the login screen before it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 21brad17, Nov 8, 2016.

1. 21brad17 Win User

Windows 10 Freezes While Installing Updates; Always Have to Reset PC

Whenever I try to install updates on Windows 10, it freezes on shut down and when I try to start my PC again, I can't get to the login screen before it freezes. I've had to rest my PC 3 times now because of this. I'm not sure what the problem is or if it's something wrong with something in my PC such as the RAM, hard drive, or something else. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreactied.

Thanks

:)

21brad17, Nov 8, 2016
  2. anonmoyus Win User

Windows freezes at restarting.

My Windows 10 PC always freezes while I try to restart it .Please help me as soon as possible.

Thank You

anonmoyus, Nov 8, 2016
  3. Update Issues

Hi

I keep getting messages to update to Windows 10 version 1709. I have tried to run Windows 10 Update Assistant numerous times but when it gets to 81% installed the PC freezes and nothing happens. I need to manually shut down by using the power button. There
    is no error message - it just freezes and always at 81%.

MythicalTurtle3, Nov 8, 2016
  4. Windows 10 Freezes While Installing Updates; Always Have to Reset PC

21brad17,

Please type the following into the search box in the lower left of the TaskBar:
    Double click the winver result at the top of the search.
    What is the Version and OS Build showing for Windows 10?

Also, try doing the following:

Run Windows 10 Troubleshooter
    Press Windows + X and select: Control Panel
    In the CP search box, type: Troubleshooter
    In the window that appears, click the title: Troubleshooting
    Under System and Security, click: Fix problems with Windows Updates

Also, have you tried a Startup Repair?

cottonball, Nov 8, 2016
  5. 21brad17 Win User
    My Windows version is Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.0)

I tried the troubleshooter and it fixed the issue of "Service registration is missing or corrupt".

I also did try startup repair when it wasn't starting and it did not work.

Would that fix potentially be the problem?

21brad17, Nov 8, 2016
  6. 21brad17 Win User
    The thing is every time I run the troubleshooter it fixes the same thing each time.

21brad17, Nov 8, 2016
  7. 21brad17 Win User
    I ran sfc /scannow and said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios."

21brad17, Nov 8, 2016
  8. dencal Win User

Open Command Prompt (Admin) and copy paste the following.
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

dencal, Nov 8, 2016
  9. 21brad17,

Make sure you restart the computer for the command to fully apply.

cottonball, Nov 8, 2016
  10. 21brad17 Win User
    I just ran it and it said "Error 1726. The remote procedure call failed."

21brad17, Nov 9, 2016
  11. 21brad17 Win User
    I also just tried to start the remote procedure call and now the dism gives me "error 1910. The object exporter specified was not found." And it didn't even scan at all this time

21brad17, Nov 9, 2016
  12. 21brad17 Win User
    Just tried to restart my computer again and it again froze on shutdown and startup....

21brad17, Nov 9, 2016
  13. Windows 10 Freezes While Installing Updates; Always Have to Reset PC

21brad17,

See if you can get the computer in Safe Mode.

Please shutdown the computer pressing the power button, if you need to. You may have to press it for 15-20 seconds until it eventually shuts down.

Now, press the power button to turn on the PC, and, just as Windows starts to load (round dots rotating), press and hold the power button down until it turns off.

Repeat the same actions two more times, and, on the third try (sometimes fourth), instead of the round dots, the PC boots into recovery mode trying to do a fix. This usually fails, and then you are given recovery/repair options in the Windows Recovery Environment.

In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click: Troubleshoot > next window click: Advanced Options, and at the next window click: Startup Settings

At the next window, Windows 10 notifies you that you can restart your device in order to change advanced boot options, including enabling Safe Mode. At this window, press: Restart

After Windows 10 reboots, you can choose which boot options you want enabled.
    To enable Safe Mode press the F4 or 4 key on your keyboard.

In Safe Mode, run the System File Checker again.

If this doesn’t work use the DISM Command.

Open the Command Prompt (as Administrator). Type in:
    If a change is made, restart your computer and run the System File Checker command again.

Hopefully it should now replace any corrupt files.

cottonball, Nov 9, 2016
  14. 21brad17 Win User
    Ran SFC and it "found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."

21brad17, Nov 9, 2016
  15. 21brad17 Win User
    Just ran the DISM and got the same thing as last time. I've backed up all my personal files so do you think it's best to just do a clean Windows install from a USB drive?

21brad17, Nov 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Freezes While Installing Updates; Always Have to Reset PC - Similar Threads - Freezes While Installing

2. Plugged of window 10 pc while resetting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Plugged of window 10 pc while resetting: Sir I have window 10 pc but I was resetting it one day but during reset I plugged it off and when I plugged in it showed me two options first to continue resetting and second to esc I pressed esc and after that my PC is taking much time to start and showing please wait and...
  3. Turned PC off during reset while it was installing Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turned PC off during reset while it was installing Windows 10.: I reset my Computer and while it was going through the process of a reset my dog managed to unplug the power to the computer, when I have tried to turn the PC back on it displays a message stating"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...
  4. Reset PC and installed Windows 10 freezing the laptop now

Reset PC and installed Windows 10 freezing the laptop now: My laptop recently automatically installed the latest Windows 10 updates as of 26th April 2020. However, after installation of the updates, my laptop would freeze completely and randomly - screen unresponsive and ctrl+alt+del did nothing - only way to fix was to restart the...
  5. Laptop freezes while installing windows 10.

Laptop freezes while installing windows 10.: I have a problem with my laptop.I curently have windows 8.1 but i have made the decizion to upgrade to windows 10. It all worked fine until at 42% while installing the windows my laptop froze.I waited about an hour but nothing changed. I ended up rebooting the laptop and...
  6. Windows 10 freezes while installing

Windows 10 freezes while installing: Since my old CPU was too slow for me, i decided to replace it with a new one and a new motherboard. (Intel I5 9600K and Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite) When I was installing Windows by an USB Stick on my before used 250GB SSD, the installation would be stuck at a few percent. I...
  7. Windows 10 update screen ALWAYS freezes

Windows 10 update screen ALWAYS freezes: After a certain amount of time I decided to come here to finally (maybe ?) find a solution. My problem is that my Windows 10 installation ALWAYS - and I mean ALWAYS - freezes when it restarts and goes on the update screen. Let's clear the situation: sometimes when I get a...
  8. Desktop PC always freezes on windows updates

Desktop PC always freezes on windows updates: I am hoping someone has had this problem and solved it. I have a Gateway PC that I upgrade to Windows 10. I ran the compatibility and everything checked out. Ever since I did the upgrade, every time there is an Windows update, I get the blue update screen and it freezes. I...
  9. Pc resetting at 10% and freezes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc resetting at 10% and freezes: I had to do a pc reset on a diffrent pc. Everything went ok and pc reset froze at 10 % for ages.So i turned off pc and restarted it hoping this should be ok.Pc restarted ok but a box appears stating windows installation encountered an unexpected error click ok and restart pc...
  10. Windows 10 Clean install: There was a problem while resetting your PC

Windows 10 Clean install: There was a problem while resetting your PC: Hi there, I've been having some troubles with my laptop recently. I seems that my home WIFI router has been hacked and now I've some serious trouble. I tried to do a system restore, but that failed with the message "there was a problem resetting your pc no changes were...