Windows 10: Windows 10 freezes

Discus and support Windows 10 freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I know this has been posted about quite a few times, but I've been reading through them and trying to solve this problem for months now, and still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kelci, Apr 20, 2016.

1. kelci Win User

Windows 10 freezes

So I know this has been posted about quite a few times, but I've been reading through them and trying to solve this problem for months now, and still cannot solve this.

My computer started randomly freezing soon after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8 with the free upgrade. Initially when it froze, the mouse and keyboard would become unresponsive, everything on the screen would freeze, and the audio would make a buzzing sound.

I purchased a fresh copy of Windows 10, and did a fresh install on the hard drive, still had the same problem. Next, since I have 2 identical computers, same everything, down to mouse and keyboard, I swapped hard drives. The computer which was causing trouble worked fine with the other hard drive, but the second computer I put my trouble causing hard drive into began having the same problems. So I switched all peripherals, mouse, keyboard, wifi adapter, monitor, hdmi cable, and bought a new hard drive, and did a fresh install of Windows 10. Still, basically the same problem. The only thing that's changed is that now the audio does not make any noise when the computer freezes up.

I'm at a total loss. Since there is literally nothing left of the original computer that was causing problems, I assumed it must be a driver problem, but as far as I can tell, the computer that works has all the same drivers as the computer that keeps freezing. There seems to be nothing in event viewer, no minidump files generated (I did configure computer to generate them) and CPU and GPU stress tests do not cause failures, though the freezing is more frequent when play games or videos, but not exclusive to playing games or videos. Anybody have any ideas?

:)

kelci, Apr 20, 2016

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Apr 20, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Apr 20, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Windows 10 freezes

Can possibly then be the hard drive. How identical are these 2 PC's ? Can try safe mode or a clean boot, but if an intermittent problem will be hard to determine. Any hard drive programs to check it, Seatools, WD Lifeguard, HDTune ? Can try running checkdisk.

jds63, Apr 20, 2016
  5. kelci Win User
    The PC's 100% identical, besides the brand new hard drive I just purchased. But before that even the hard drives were the same.

kelci, Apr 20, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    Saying hard drive is brand new on PC with the initial trouble ? Freezes can be caused by software,drivers and hardware. By moving that drive to the other PC and it causing same issues made me feel it maybe the drive then.

jds63, Apr 20, 2016
  7. kelci Win User
    Basically, I have one hard drive that will work with either computer and two hard drives that will not work with either. The two hard drives, one of them being the newly purchased, have fresh windows 10 installs. As far as I can tell all three hard drives seems to have identical drivers installed.
    Like said before, with exception of the hard drives, the computers are identical. This is just so puzzling to me.

kelci, Apr 20, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

Windows 10 freezes

I was confused a bit on the first few sentences. Regardless without knowing those identical system specs, only you would know what drivers for both can be the same as there is other internal hardware and would have to be identical for those drivers being used to be identical.
    Yes, maybe this can be a driver issue hard for me to tell on what i know about it.

Try it in safe mode if it happens there it is hardware, if not it is software or drivers, be same with a clean boot.

jds63, Apr 20, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Apr 20, 2016
  10. kelci Win User
    thanks, I filled in some of my system specs

kelci, Apr 20, 2016
  11. Check your Reliability history for any red flags and if so,view and followup the Tech details.It sounds like a display driver problem,which is common in Win 10.A good programme to use is Whocrashed,which gives links to various vendors,e,g, nvidea.

joeandmarg0, Apr 20, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    Is this the hard drive with the issue Barracuda ST1000DM003-1ER162 ?

If so check the drive with this http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...ls-win-master/

Do you know the motherboards model number, the Gigabyte, if so fill it in.

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 freezes

1. Windows 10 freezes - Similar Threads - freezes

2. Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications: I’ve lately ran into the problem of the Discord application using way to much CPU then normal around 25% in Task Manager and also making my computer slow down my cursor to then basically freeze all my applications. What’s strange is that this is only happening when I’m on a...
  3. Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications: I’ve lately ran into the problem of the Discord application using way to much CPU then normal around 25% in Task Manager and also making my computer slow down my cursor to then basically freeze all my applications. What’s strange is that this is only happening when I’m on a...
  4. Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Freezes and BSoDs on Asus 556u Windows 10

Freezes and BSoDs on Asus 556u Windows 10: The laptop can work almost all day without crashes. But it often freezes or bluescreens every 5 min, 30 times daily. When the laptop freezes, the system freezes completely, with no response from the keyboard or mouth.I tried to diagnose problems with the Windows memory...
  6. Freezes and BSoDs on Asus 556u Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezes and BSoDs on Asus 556u Windows 10: The laptop can work almost all day without crashes. But it often freezes or bluescreens every 5 min, 30 times daily. When the laptop freezes, the system freezes completely, with no response from the keyboard or mouth.I tried to diagnose problems with the Windows memory...
  7. Freezes and BSoDs on Asus 556u Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Laptop does mini freezes when I switch from APU to GPU

Laptop does mini freezes when I switch from APU to GPU: Hi, I have AMD Tuf gaming laptop, It has MUX Switch, so basically when I turn on a game it switches from APU to GPU, now I don't have problem when I'm playing the game but when I want to minimize it, the screen freezes for about 10 seconds and then goes on, but It does not...
  9. Laptop does mini freezes when I switch from APU to GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does mini freezes when I switch from APU to GPU: Hi, I have AMD Tuf gaming laptop, It has MUX Switch, so basically when I turn on a game it switches from APU to GPU, now I don't have problem when I'm playing the game but when I want to minimize it, the screen freezes for about 10 seconds and then goes on, but It does not...
  10. Windows 10 Update freezes at 99% on reboot

Windows 10 Update freezes at 99% on reboot: Hi. By the last regular W10 Update last week my W stucks on reboot.I waited 1 night and made a hard reset but no changes.Then 3 reboots after hours with same result .I dont know the kb number, who would remember..?What can i do?Thx...