Windows 10: Windows 10 from external DVD Drive?

Discus and support Windows 10 from external DVD Drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can I install Windows 10 using an external DVD Drive on a new PC build? 43345 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by therh, Mar 7, 2016.

1. therh Win User

Windows 10 from external DVD Drive?

Can I install Windows 10 using an external DVD Drive on a new PC build?

:)

therh, Mar 7, 2016

2. DVD player won't play

New windows 10 laptop with external DVD player won't play DVD. Computer sees external drive.

StanRollins, Mar 7, 2016
  3. External drive installed

I installed an external DVD/CD drive for my Surface 4 computer but Windows10 Media Player won't recognize external DVD drive - so how to watch a DVD movie? I can play CD's without any problems.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate / PC]

AndreasMaulhardt, Mar 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yep. Probably be about the slowest way imaginable to do it, but as long as the computer can boot from it, it will work.

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2016
  5. therh Win User
    So something like, Rufus and the Win 10 ISO (with Windows 7 key) would be the best option then?

therh, Mar 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm guessing you have a Windows 7 DVD with a product key. Has the Windows 7 been installed previously on an old computer? There are instances where a Windows 7 product key will be blocked by Microsoft from automatic online activation and will have to be installed and activated by phone first. So, you have two choices:

1. You can clean install the latest version of Windows 10 from a USB flash drive. Then you can attempt to activate it with the Windows 7 product key. Advantages: cleaner, faster install of Windows 10. Disadvantage: if the key is blocked, then you are going to have to install Windows 7, activate that over the phone - then you can activate Windows 10 on that computer.

2. You can just install Windows 7 first and activate it. Then upgrade that to Windows 10. Advantage: no chance of not being able to activate Windows 10 because the Windows 7 product key is blocked. Disadvantage: probably about 4 hours getting Windows 7 installed from external DVD drive.

If you end up having or choosing to install Windows 7, then I would highly recommend you save the genuineticket.xml file using this method:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 from external DVD Drive? - Similar Threads - external DVD Drive

2. windows 11 dvd external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 dvd external drive: I have a HP Envy laptop. Since installing Windows 11, I am no longer able to play DVDs on my external drive. Windows Explorer sees the drive but neither VLC or Leawo can actually play the disk. HP Support tells me this is a Windows 11 issue....
  3. windows 11 dvd external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 dvd external drive: I have a HP Envy laptop. Since installing Windows 11, I am no longer able to play DVDs on my external drive. Windows Explorer sees the drive but neither VLC or Leawo can actually play the disk. HP Support tells me this is a Windows 11 issue....
  4. DVD not playing from external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD not playing from external drive?: The DVD has BUP VBP & IFO files none will open with Windows Media Player is the VLC safe to download? Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-not-playing-from-external-drive/54eda131-d26e-4c87-a24b-b5102c998b02
  5. Using an external DVD drive with Windows 10

Using an external DVD drive with Windows 10: ,I am a long time Windows user who changed over to Mac Pro for a while and now I am back to Microsoft, having recently purchased a Surface Pro. I was annoyed that Microsoft removed a DVD player/writer as standard equipment in the Surface unit. I tried purchasing several...
  6. CD/DVD external drive

CD/DVD external drive: When trying to eject a disc from a external driver. I get the following error message: An errer occurred while ejecting yje cd. What does this mean and how do i fix this problem?...
  7. external dvd drive

external dvd drive: can't find my external drive to download softwear on this computer. it is plugged in by usb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-dvd-drive/8881c714-98f4-43a2-82b9-704293bd6ad2
  8. External CD/DVD drives

External CD/DVD drives: After the last Windows update my Computer does not see the external drive. When I connect an external drive the is an indication by the computer that a device has been inserted, but when I go to This Computer it does not show a CD or DVD external drive. Worked well befor...
  9. External dvd drive

External dvd drive: I'm trying to connect a cocopa external dvd reader with no success. Any ideas why it's not connecting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/external-dvd-drive/89b08ee8-6e6d-4287-a820-3526daeb1b49
  10. Reinstall Windows 10 from DVD but no DVD drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 from DVD but no DVD drive: Hi I inadvertently set my new laptop with 256 Mb SSD to sync with my OneDrive of 1 Tb. My laptop synced until it ran out of storage and now when I try to boot up, I get Attempting to Repair, Diagnosing Problem, etc. etc. I have worked my way through every option to no...