Windows 10: Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically

Discus and support Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Dear all I have windows 10 pro and I have edited the group policy for windows update and has set it to notify me to download. My problem is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Rizvi, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Rizvi Win User

Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically

Dear all I have windows 10 pro and I have edited the group policy for windows update and has set it to notify me to download.
    My problem is that after a few days windows automatically download updates and install them though I had set it to notify to download. It seems that the settings are not permanent and windows resets the group policy settings.
    How can i make the settings permanent?

:)

Rizvi, Jan 23, 2016
  2. MadWolfWX Win User

windows 10 auto update ignoring group policy settings

hi

i am running windows 10 pro 64bit and i have used the group policy setting for windows
    Windows automatic Update and changed it to auto download and notify for install but when i open windows update and check for updates it downloads them and then install them ignoring the group policy setting

MadWolfWX, Jan 23, 2016
  3. Disable Automatic Updates Button in Windows 10 Build 1607 and 1703

According to this article
    Fixing Windows 10 Automatic Updates Installation Problem - Method 6 in the article
    :

{snip...} there is a small glitch. Since Microsoft has completely replaced old Windows Update program with a new modern app in Windows 10, the Group Policy or Registry tweak to change Windows
    Update settings don't work immediately. Even after restarting your computer or executing
    gpupdate /force command, the changes are not applied in Windows Update window.

Then how to force Windows 10 to apply our Group Policy or Registry changes? Its actually very simple!
    You just need to click on "Check for updates" button in Windows Update.

As soon as you click on the button, Windows will immediately apply the changes.

So you need to let Windows Update check for new updates at least once after you make changes in Group Policy Editor or Registry Editor.

Chris Luther, Jan 23, 2016
  4. w7bill Win User

Rizvi,

I have done the same GP change also, one thing I ran across prior to upgrade was to be sure to manually hit the "check for updates" then look under advanced settings and it should say "Notify to download" on that screen, after changing the GP settings to # 2.

Also be sure to do a full re-boot (shut down - startup) unless you have fast startup disabled.

Note: I have just upgraded 1-15 so still waiting for an update, but I am interested if there are additional settings required.

Bill

w7bill, Jan 24, 2016
  5. w7bill Win User
    Rizvi,

To further update your concerns I just got my first update after setting GP to option #2 (for notify when available) and I got the message via action center when booting up this evening. I clicked on the notification and then had to click for download and it downloaded the update and installed it, then it ask to either schedule a restart or there was a button to restart now.

This accentually is the windows 7 behavior that I wanted.

One quirk that can be confusing is if you have the box checked for "other" Microsoft products if there are non OS related updates (for apps and such) they will be installed in the background even with option #2 selected. This is a change from windows 7, but one I can live with, I just want to know what the hart of system is doing and have an opportunity to check what an update is for before windows decides for me.

Hope you got your working -- Bill

w7bill, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically - Similar Threads - group policy update

2. Bitlocker Group Policy settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Group Policy settings: Dear reader,I have a question about the bitlocker group policy settings. More specifically about the configuration of the pre-boot recovery message and URL. In the image below it's in Dutch you see the standard bitlocker recovery message. We know it is possible to include an...
  3. Group Policy settings missing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Group Policy settings missing in Windows 10: If some of your Group Policy areas, settings, or folders are missing in Windows 10, then you need to re-register these DLL files. On a standalone computer, you normally use the Local Group Policy Editor, but on networked or AD computers you use Group Policy Management Editor....
  4. Setting Group Policy for Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting Group Policy for Windows Updates: I am running Windows 10 Pro 2004 for my home business. I want to set the Features Update schedule to be like the old "CBB" channel Features Updates deferred for a few months after general release. I go into Local Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative...
  5. Help Changing Group Policy settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Changing Group Policy settings: [ATTACH] Can someone please explain how to change my settings so none of my 'settings is managed by my organisation'? I would be very greatfull https://preview.redd.it/zoqpquteae161.png?width=399&format=png&auto=webp&s=2a0be310619ca33dcfd381aa87cccb8f6174073d...
  6. Group Policy Settings Windows 10

Group Policy Settings Windows 10: How does one reset all group plicies to default settings in windows 10. I have no executable named "gpedit". Thanks Peeps..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy-settings-windows-10/d99877a9-7349-49ec-91a5-aaf9edac8be4
  7. Windows 10; Changes to GROUP POLICY pathways

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10; Changes to GROUP POLICY pathways: Currently, I am running W10 Version 1809 OS build 17763.55 on two laptops. Recently, I am getting an error code 0x80070643 while updating Windows. Researching this code it indicates that I need to create a different pathway in the GROUP POLICY settings in order to work around...
  8. Group Policy Settings

Group Policy Settings: I just installed an update, lost my Stickies - destroying my world, & my default app settings are changing on their own. I contacted Microsoft after exhausting all available info online, had a remote session, 2 chats, and it is still broken. Does anyone know the steps to...
  9. Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings: Hello, I've just installed KB3176929. Now I am running Windows 10 Education v1607, b14393.10. Almost everything it's fine despite "Windows Update Settings" *Mad. In the past I've used Local Group Policy Editor​ to tweak the settings and make Windows notify me when I...
  10. Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10: How to: Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 How to Manually Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single user interface through...