Windows 10: Windows 10 GSOD before windows 10 updates

Discus and support Windows 10 GSOD before windows 10 updates in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have two pc's on build 17074, both of them started to get GSOD's on the same day, I saw that the crash happened just before windows got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GioXmen, Mar 17, 2018.

1. GioXmen Win User

Windows 10 GSOD before windows 10 updates

Hello,

I have two pc's on build 17074, both of them started to get GSOD's on the same day, I saw that the crash happened just before windows got ready to update to build 17115. In settings, I would see the build preparing to install and then change to pending restart. If I chose to "restart and update" it would crash immediately and if I chose to do nothing it would crash in 3 minutes max.

The next day I successfully managed to update my main pc that was on 17074 to 17115 ( I had the option to restart and update instantly on launch so I pressed it and it worked).

Now my second pc is a university laptop with no GPU (I first thought it might have been an nvidia driver issue, since I did a full reinstall in safe mode on my main pc to fix this GSOD). My laptop just won't start the update process. If I try to press the update button on the start menu it will crash, and If I do nothing it will crash after 15 minutes .

If I can manage to update my pc then my problems will be solved. Strange thing is, that my main pc which I managed to update is running a really broken windows 10 install ( I updated from windows xp to windows 7 and then to windows 10, so its a really old install, it usually has many issues etc...) and my laptop, which is running a relatively clean install and it never has windows related issues.

So.. a brief rundown:

Main PC [Old install, usually quite unstable] ( broken 17074 --> safe mode (uninstalled nvidia drivers) --> tried to quickly update --> now on build 17115)
    Laptop PC [Relatively clean] (broken 17074 --> tried quick install (failed 8 times or so, always GSOD ) -->safe mode ( to collect logs) --> still broken)

I took some logs with the beta and non-beta versions of the log collectors.

BETA log collector: ERNESTAS-LPC (2018-03-18 19 54).zip
    Non- Beta Log collector: ERNESTAS-LPC-2018_03_18_195346,70.zip

:)

GioXmen, Mar 17, 2018

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Mar 17, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Mar 17, 2018
  4. GioXmen Win User

GioXmen, Mar 18, 2018
  5. philc43 Win User
    As the insider builds are changing so rapidly I would recommend you work directly with Microsoft on this one, maybe you can just download the 17115 or newer 17123 insider version and install that.

philc43, Mar 19, 2018
  6. GioXmen Win User
    I has a bad feeling that no one could help since I am on an insider build... oh well...

So I took a risk - since the GSOD always had "WdFilter.sys" listed as the cause and that was preventing me from doing a clean install , I just deleted it from system32/drivers. The risk paid off since I was able to get into windows long enough to trigger the update! (I did not want to risk it, so I do not know if that is a permanent fix) , since the file belonged to windows defender it was broke *Smile .

So now I updated to 17115 and instantly got the option to go to 17120, so I did. Now everything is working and all is well. I believe that many people are having this issue ( it can't be random luck that two pc's got the same issue on the same day).

While it may have worked for me, I do not recommend trying this. If you have nothing else to do then you can give it a shot, though I'd recommend doing an update to a new build soon after since it "clean" installs windows again.

Will mark this as solved in a couple of days since I want to be sure this issue is fixed.

GioXmen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 GSOD before windows 10 updates - Similar Threads - GSOD before updates

2. GSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GSOD: From 3 days there is a constant system crash occuring to my laptop. i have dont all of them like checking through entering safe mode and uninstalling all third party apps, memory diagnostic and so on.... i didnt got any answer rather than getting it more worser and worser all...
  3. Windows 10 20H2 System thread exception not handled? GSOD

Windows 10 20H2 System thread exception not handled? GSOD: Had my Win10 unit up and running, been on for about 12 hours, and I walk away for 35 mins, and I come back to my PC just sitting there in BIOS. It goes to BIOS since a restart fails, you need to cycle the power, but I have just did another bios reset so it doesn't do that now...
  4. Worry Before Updating to Windows 10 2004

Worry Before Updating to Windows 10 2004: Hey everyone at Microsoft Community, My Laptop is all set to update to 2004 Version of Windows 10 and I got the Update alert on the first day of it's release. But I am postponing it since that day because after reading many articles about the update, that it has many new...
  5. Get Windows 10 to ask before updating

Get Windows 10 to ask before updating: A couple of days ago I was trying to do something online and it was all running ridiculously slowly. Then yesterday it said it had installed an update. This is not the first time this has happened. I've done a bit of a search, but can only find old articles. Is there a way...
  6. GSODs while trying to update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GSODs while trying to update: When updating to newer build I'm always getting GSODs. It's happening since I updated to 19028 (or I think, coz 19028 was installed just fine). Now, while updating, when updater gets to around 70-85% it crashes and displays one of the four GSODs. I'm ordering them from one...
  7. GSOD

GSOD: I am on windows insider preview build 17763 & getting GSOD after one hour with error code 1534 & Profile notification of event Load for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details. Need help ASAP...
  8. GSOD at boot, before boot menu was shown

GSOD at boot, before boot menu was shown: My first ever GSOD at boot yesterday morning, would be interesting to know what caused it. See attached DM Log Collector file. Thanks in advance, 88217
  9. GSOD Installing Update

GSOD Installing Update: I am on the Insider program, and lately while trying to install the latest build, it gets to about 75% of the "Installing updates" screen before I get a Green Screen of Death with a message of "CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION". I've also gotten this a couple other times, but...
  10. Is it mandatory to fully update Windows 10 before upgrading?

Is it mandatory to fully update Windows 10 before upgrading?: I have a customer's system, a Gateway NV73a24u laptop (AMD Athlon II X2 P340/4 GB/640 GB), whose hard drive failed due to too many bad sectors. Replaced hard drive with a SanDisk 240 GB SSD. Tried to clean install 1607, and it stalled on "Checking for updates" for days....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 profile notification of event load for component {b31118b2-1f49-48e5-b6f5-bc21caec56fb} failed error code is see tracelogging for error details

2. profile notification of event load for component {b31118b2-1f49-48e5-b6f5-bc21caec56fb} failed error code is see tracelogging for error details.

3. windows 10 error 1534 B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB

4. Profile notification of event Unload for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed error code is See Tracelogging for error details.