Windows 10: Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue.

Discus and support Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, For the past few days Windows 10 has been hanging at shutdown. The symptoms are as follows: When shutting down the computer, it'll... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Easy301, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Easy301 Win User

Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue.

Hello everyone,

For the past few days Windows 10 has been hanging at shutdown. The symptoms are as follows: When shutting down the computer, it'll make it past the shutdown screen, my monitor will turn off and display "No Signal" which is normal, although the computer will remain on anywhere from two minutes to five minutes.

This is completely random from what I can tell. Sometimes after the monitor shuts off the computer will also follow a couple of seconds later and sometimes it won't.

I've taken a look at event viewer and the only things I can see in regards in startup/shutdown are the following:

"The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."

"This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:
    File Name : EventLog
    Friendly Name :
    Version :
    Total Time : 1691ms
    Degradation Time : 933ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎03T07:30:08.061894600Z"

There are a few other errors although most are just relating to process taking a long time to start up and indications that the system booted. All other times the system has taken a very long while to shut down the above error and only the above error was displayed in event viewer, always pointing to EventLog.

Here are my specs. *Smile

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790S @ 3.20GHz 30 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. K30AD_M31AD_M51AD_M32AD (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
    Graphics
    NS-32L450A11 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA) 33 °C
    Storage
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA) 37 °C
    Optical Drives
    ASUS SH-224DB
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    Audio
    Logitech G430 Gaming Headset

I've attached a Speccy text export below. If I can provide any other additional information please don't hesitate to ask and thank you for taking the time to read this post and assist me with the issue.

:)

Easy301, Mar 12, 2016

2. shut down goes into restart mode instead of shutting down

shut down goes into restart mode instead of shutting down

shutdown issue, Mar 12, 2016
  3. rashtell Win User
    Windows 10 freezes on startup or when resuming from sleep or hibernate

Its not displaying the build version. But the window is up to date. The last OS was windows 10. It satrted after i did a forced shutdown because it hanged. Ever since then, if i do a normal shutdown and bootup, it will hang and i will have to do forced
    shutdown again. But if i shutdown through the command prompt it would bootup with no hanging. The problem still persists even after reinstalling the windows so many times. I also did chkdsk and sfc commands but no luck

rashtell, Mar 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, does this happen in particular if you have Chrome completely shut down before you shut down the PC?

And does this happen if you clean boot, then try shut down?

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  5. Easy301 Win User
    Hi Dalchina,

Thank you for taking the time to post. I'll go ahead and see if the issue persists while Chrome is closed down and with a clean boot. I'll report back after.

It's odd because this problem only recently started with zero changes to anyway software/hardware.

Easy301, Mar 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Odd things do happen... triggered by anything from cosmic rays to updates going on behind one's back...*chuckle

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  7. stoneyc Win User
    windows shutdown issue

stoneyc, Mar 12, 2016
  8. Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue.

When you are testing Chrome, do not forget to uncheck running apps in the background in advanced settings.

You could run autoend.bat (attached bellow) as admin to force anything to stop, when shutting down PC.

TairikuOkami, Mar 12, 2016
  9. stoneyc Win User
    ive had the same issues in the past after windows 10 updates what I do is shut off comp unplug power cord push power button back on then replug power cord back in then rebot then the problem goes away windows will shut down normally

stoneyc, Mar 12, 2016
  10. Fiasco Win User
    Just a thought. Do you have "fast startup" turned on in power options? I had shut down hanging issues before and turning that off solved it.

Fiasco, Mar 12, 2016
  11. Easy301 Win User
    Thanks everyone for the help. The issue still persists with Chrome shutdown and "Continue running background apps" unchecked. I have not seen the issue with a clean boot but again, it's very hard to actually reproduce the issue so it's hard to tell if that helped isolate the issue or if it just has not shown up the two times I've tried shutting down from a clean bot.

While the long shutdown can be annoying it's certainty nothing I can't live with if I have to. With that said, I'd like to rule out two major issues though before just living with the sometimes long shutdown time.

My two major concerns are 1. Is this actually hurting my computer? I'd like to consider myself a pretty advanced computer user and while I don't see any harm that can come from a long shutdown (Windows is doing what it needs to do.) I just wanted to be sure. 2. Can this be indicative of any type of incoming hardware issue/failure? HDD sentinel reports my HDD in perfect condition and hardware monitoring so far reports all temps and such in normal ranges.

Edit: Yes, I do currently have Fast Boot Enabled for my OS.

Thank you everyone again for taking the time to assist me.

Easy301, Mar 13, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Clearly if it were a hardware related problem it would have to be fairly specific- your PC isn't crashing when running normally.
    My guess is you're not going to damage anything- it's more likely to be related to, say, drivers or software installed.

You know quite well how often it occurs, so I suggest you continue the clean boot approach and then allow more programs to run progressively until you see the problem again.

Backstop comparison is of course safe mode.

Some have found this to be related to page file management- have you changed the default settings for this at all?

Here are some random examples- there are many results if you do a general search for "PC slow shutting down" for example, and of course you can search in this forum. (OK these aren't necessarily Win 10, but the architecture remains very similar)

Very Slow Computer Shutdown - Delete Computer History
    windows 8.1 - Why does my computer take an abnormally long time to shut down? - Super User
    keyliner.blogspot.com: Windows 8.1 Fix for Slow Shutdown and Restart

dalchina, Mar 13, 2016
  13. smitty Win User

i've had this problem in win10 and found the culprit was Intel Manegement Engine.

This worked for me:

Device Manager/ System Devices/ Intel(R) Management Engine Interface

Then: right click properties and select driver, uninstall, delete driver.

And reboot

smitty, Mar 14, 2016
  14. Fiasco Win User
    Turn off "fast startup". See if the issue persists.

Fiasco, Mar 14, 2016
  15. smitty Win User
    its the 1st thing i disable after installing windows.

i'm sure your idea worked for some but in my case this setting has never been "on" for more than 5 minutes *Wink

the real solution is update or remove the intel driver.

thanks anyway

smitty, Mar 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue. - Similar Threads - hanging shutdown can't

2. windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown: please please help me , my computer was just fine but lately it gets stuck on restart or turn off , sometimes it gets alot of time like more than 1 hour , sometimes i have to hard turn it off , i make sure to turn off Wifi before turning it off and i unplug it , please i just...
  3. Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.: Hello, I have done a clean install of windows 10 20h2 and have download and installed all the updates, the Problem I am facing is when I shutdown my laptop windows 10 say getting windows ready do not turn you computer off, this all that happens windows does not shutdown....
  4. Windows 10 can't sleep, restart, or shutdown; hangs at a black screen.

Windows 10 can't sleep, restart, or shutdown; hangs at a black screen.: I recently reinstalled Windows 10 from Ubuntu, and everything is mostly fine. Unfortunately, I am unable to put my system to sleep, restart it, or shut it down using the UI. I've resorted to forcefully powering it off after telling it to shut down. I've done the usual advice,...
  5. Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown

Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown: Hi, I did a clean install of Windows 10 about 15 days ago for a new computer build. Here are the specs: Windows 10 version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685 CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900XT MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS RAM: 4x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB...
  6. Windows 10 randomly hangs at shutdown or reboots

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 randomly hangs at shutdown or reboots: The hanging occurs after everything is closed. Even in the event manager, I can see "Operating System was stopped at xx:xx". When the hangs occurs, the screen is black with no signal, the CPU fan starts to spin faster and faster, meaning the CPU seems to be at 100%. This...
  7. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown: Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not...
  8. Windows 10 hanging issue.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 hanging issue.: I am using Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 5720 for some time. I know my laptop is old but is in good condition and taken well care of. Past 5/6 months i am seeing my laptop getting hanged frequently. Even if i shut down all applications it is disk space 100% for a long time with...
  9. Windows hangs on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows hangs on shutdown/restart: I just built a new PC. Upgraded my Windows license because my free upgrade to Windows 10 was from a Windows 7 OEM, Installed the mobo drivers (as best I could, see below), installed GPU drivers, etc. Issues: 1) Whenever I try and shut down, the system hangs on the blue...
  10. Hanging issue with windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Hanging issue with windows 10: Does anybody know what issue I am currently facing? It occurs randomly when I am using the computer. So what happens is that while I am doing my stuff, the computer just hangs for a while like 1~2 seconds and after that everything will be back to normal. The process would...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 HANGING ON SHUTDOWN

2. autoend.bat