Windows 10: Windows 10 Hangs at Spinning wheel after running chkdsk at boot

Discus and support Windows 10 Hangs at Spinning wheel after running chkdsk at boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I run chkdsk at a command prompt, and set it to run at boot, Windows 10 gets hung with a spinning wheel after completing the chkdsk. It does this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by IsaacFL, Nov 19, 2016.

1. IsaacFL Win User

Windows 10 Hangs at Spinning wheel after running chkdsk at boot

If I run chkdsk at a command prompt, and set it to run at boot, Windows 10 gets hung with a spinning wheel after completing the chkdsk. It does this for any disk, not just C:

at boot, it runs the chkdsk to completion but then hands at spinning wheel after.

screen says, with spinning wheel:
    Scanning and repairing drive (C*Smile 100% complete.

it won't respond to ctrl-alt-del or even the power switch. I can press the reset button or power off and then it boots ok.
    Windows will restart otherwise, no problems, but if I run chkdsk at boot, then it will hang every time.

within Windows, the Chkdsk from the command prompt, force dismount, will run to completion. Also can use the tool, scan disk, and not problems found for any of the disks. So I don't think it is a disk issue.

It seems to be an issue with the boot, after completing the chkdsk.

:)

IsaacFL, Nov 19, 2016

2. Windows 10 stuck during startup with Spinning Wheel

My in-laws laptop has Windows 10 and when booting up, it displays the OEM's splash screen and the spinning wheel. Does not stop. To add to the mystery, you can turn it off, but if you close the lid, it starts up again. Don't know if this happened after
    the latest Windows upgrade or not.

Original title: Spinning Wheel

Indycar John, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Windows 10

After doing a automatic update, Windows 10 will not boot up. It gets to a blue screen where there is a dotted circle and just keeps spinning its wheels.

JimmyBroadwater, Nov 19, 2016
  4. Windows 10 Hangs at Spinning wheel after running chkdsk at boot

I too have seen this issue as far back as when the preview versions were first available. I also have no solution to the issue. Maybe somebody else can chime in here and shed some light.

storageman, Nov 20, 2016
  5. IsaacFL Win User
    Do you use Powershell instead on Cmd prompt? It is only thing I changed before it started acting up. I ran the chkdsk within powershell the first time before it acted up. I changed back to cmd but it didn't fix it.

IsaacFL, Nov 20, 2016
  6. waltercarroll, Nov 20, 2016
  7. No I have always used the Cmd Prompt. But I do believe it has something to do UEFI based systems. I have 2 W10 systems, and it only fails on the UEFI system. The legacy boot system seems to be ok.

storageman, Nov 20, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Hangs at Spinning wheel after running chkdsk at boot

storageman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Hangs at Spinning wheel after running chkdsk at boot

1. Windows 10 Hangs at Spinning wheel after running chkdsk at boot - Similar Threads - Hangs Spinning wheel

2. Windows spinning wheel of death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows spinning wheel of death: My brother recently let his acer laptop do an automatic update and ever since it will turn on to the start up page but sits at the spinning wheel constantly. It's in a loop and won't start up. I can get it to do "preparing automatic repair" but there are no options and screen...
  3. Windows spinning wheel of death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows spinning wheel of death: My brother recently let his acer laptop do an automatic update and ever since it will turn on to the start up page but sits at the spinning wheel constantly. It's in a loop and won't start up. I can get it to do "preparing automatic repair" but there are no options and screen...
  4. CHKDSK hangs at boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK hangs at boot: Hi Thank you everyone in advance. Please excuse the long post. Just want to give the full picture...My setup. Windows 10 Home. Intel i7, 16Gb memory, Samsung SSD 4Tb. Setup as GPT with two partitions partitions 300Gb with Windows 10 and software install and some data; the...
  5. Windows 10 machine no longer boots and stuck at spin wheel

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 machine no longer boots and stuck at spin wheel: Hi, Few days ago my mature Windows 10 1909 system just stopped working. It wouldn't get past the spinning wheel no matter what and only could get in via safe mode. Eventually that didn't even work. Assuming I had a corrupt system I formatted the disk and installed 1909 from...
  6. spinning blue wheel

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spinning blue wheel: this spinning blue wheel is driving me nuts is there an easy way for someone who is not computer literate to stop it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spinning-blue-wheel/6bf4d66d-141a-4c49-8ae9-bf791341df8f"
  7. Windows 10 stuck at spinning wheel.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 stuck at spinning wheel.: Hi. Today i wanted to update my AMD GRAPHIC CARD but i got an error,so i made a clean uninstall using amd cleanup utility.I restarted my computer and went to windows update to update the driver.Besides the amd update there was another windows update.After download it said...
  8. Spinning Wheel after format/update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Spinning Wheel after format/update: So my Windows 10 started to crash after a while AFK. Every time it used to get REALLY slow and explorer stopped responding. So I made that windows 10 reset and removed all files with the act. Wohoo. Windows 10 was fine again. But after the first PC restart (with updates)...
  9. Windows 10 hangs at 13% after running CHKDSK /R

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hangs at 13% after running CHKDSK /R: I have been trying to repair laptop's Windows 10, started running CHKDSK /R about 5pm at night, and it seemed to hang at 13%. I had set the laptop to not go to sleep, so went to bed about 11pm with it still showing 13%. I awoke at 7am the next morning and it still showed 13%....
  10. Windows 10 spinning ferris wheel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 spinning ferris wheel: Installed Windows 10 and seemed to be a good install as OS worked immediately after installed. Shut down and now all I get is a blue screen and those little balls that spin. 25190

Users found this page by searching for:

1. scan and repair drive wheelcspinning

2. Windows 10 hangs on startup spinning wheel