Windows 10: Windows 10 hangs when using Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Windows 10 hangs when using Microsoft Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, Has anyone experienced a hang in Windows 10 when using Microsoft Edge? It has happened to me two or three times, so I've had to stop using... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by emulajavi, Aug 8, 2015.

1. emulajavi Win User

Windows 10 hangs when using Microsoft Edge

Hi,

Has anyone experienced a hang in Windows 10 when using Microsoft Edge?

It has happened to me two or three times, so I've had to stop using Edge.

It happens when I'm actively using Microsoft Edge for some time and then suddenly the all the system hangs. All frozen. I can't clic on anything and the clock in the taskbar is completely frozen. Can't do anything. I can see there is some disk activity ongoing because the HDD activity led flashes. Only solution is hard-reset

thank you!

:)

emulajavi, Aug 8, 2015

2. Upgradation to Microsoft Edge Mobile

Please add 'print' option to Microsoft Edge mobile. While opening the first page, ms edge mobile is getting hanged. I'm using windows 10 version 1703.

Sheikh Rokon, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Gina Coleman, Aug 8, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Check amount of startup items in task manager first. Nothing else being run does this at all ? Try filling in specs here when you get a chance, as that helps us see what you have.

jds63, Aug 8, 2015
  5. emulajavi Win User
    Hi. Thank you.

It happens after actively using Edge for some time, no matter if anything else is opened or closed.

Laptop is a Sony VAIO VGN-AW11XU, with clean install of Windows 10 Pro and:
    - Intel Core 2 Duo T9600
    - 4GB RAM
    - nVidia GeForce 9600M GT

Thank you.

ps: here I've seen some other have experienced a similar issue... Microsoft Edge in build 10240 freezes and hangs intermittingly - Microsoft Community

emulajavi, Aug 8, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Your Welcome ! Seems to be no solution for many having this issue i can find either, if it is only Microsoft Edge doing this.

Try this at (Admin) command prompt, copy and paste this and press enter, let if finish

sfc /scannow

Do not close the same command prompt, next copy and paste this exactly into command prompt and press enter, let is also finish, can take awhile

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Reboot the system, recheck Edge, let us know if sfc command or DISM gave you can not fix or errors.

jds63, Aug 8, 2015
  7. emulajavi Win User
    Hi thank you

SFC fixed three errors,

I attach the CBS.log (splitted in two parts because the file is bigger than 2mb)
    CBS1.txt
    CBS2.txt

Here is the DISM part of the CBS.log and the DISM.log:
    CBS-DISM.txt
    DISMlog.txt

thank you!

emulajavi, Aug 9, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Good, from what i can see and understand not sure if was related to the issue, CBS log are long. Question i ask is how is Microsoft Edge running ? Your welcome.

jds63, Aug 9, 2015
  9. emulajavi Win User
    Hi. Thank you.

I'll check Microsoft Edge for two or three days to see if it still hangs the system.... I'll keep you updated

emulajavi, Aug 10, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Alright,your welcome! How often did it do this issue ?

jds63, Aug 10, 2015
  11. I noticed you mentioned you have an nVidia GeForce 9600M GT,

I have a SONY VAIO VGN-AW11Z which has same graphics but I have been told by Microsoft I can't upgrade to Windows 10... get message...

this pc can't run windows 10, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

It says vendor does not have a compatible driver, so I wondered how you managed to do your upgrade

any help would be appreciated

hughparker1, Sep 7, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    64BIT 0R 32BIT because i see a driver for this on NVIDIA's site from Aug.24 2015 ?

Choose 64 bit if OS is instead before downloading Download Drivers | NVIDIA

jds63, Sep 7, 2015
  13. Windows 10 hangs when using Microsoft Edge

thanks for reply to my problem, yes I am 64-bit.

I checked NVIDIA support and I found this link Drivers | GeForce

...for Windows 10 driver for my graphics card GeForce 9600M GT

I dicided to extract the file to check the extracted folder on C: drive...

C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.81\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\setup.exe

... I noticed folder name was Win8_WinVista_Win7_64 so looks like it will be good for windows 7 as well ??

so I decided to execute the setup.exe file to see, but I get error...

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue
    The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware

so not sure what is wrong with my graphics card.

I am still getting the microsoft message when I click on the upgrade icon in system tray...

This pc can't run windows 10 because display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10.

do you think I can still upgrade to Windows 10 using the media creation tool, then update driver afterwards?

EDIT: I also downloaded GeForce_Experience_v2.5.14.5.exe which is a tool to keep driver up to date, and when I run it, I get message...

Sorry, GeForce Experience could not find a driver for this PC. visit nvidia.com/drivers for the latest driver updates.

Any idea what might be wrong?

EDIT2: I opened Device Manager and tried update driver and pointed to C:\NVIDIA\ and get message The best driver software for your device is already installed.

So looks like my current driver is ok, so just wondering if you think I can still upgrade to Windows 10 using the media creation tool, then update driver afterwards? as I'm still getting message pc can't run windows 10 because display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10.

hughparker1, Sep 8, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Your Welcome !
    First link you provided from GeForce is the same Windows 10 driver as the one i posted just before you, except not knowing bit of OS. Yes, if you choose either Windows 10 64bit or Windows 8.1 or 7 all using the same driver 341.81.

From what i found your NVIDIA card has a Tesla GeForce GPU and this article shows it should be now compatible with Windows 10, go all the way down this list to White area shown Tesla Geforce, there you will find your model.
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3710/~/which-nvidia-gpus-are-supported-in-windows-10%3F

Your specs here are showing you have Windows 10, but your first post in this thread you have not upgraded because of this.
    So can't understand why you would get this message trying to install this driver, unless it's because might be differences in some way with this driver if using it on Windows 8.1 or 7 and it states Windows 10 even though it shows for all of those OS's
    Might be the case of Hardware ID see an article here https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...re-installer-/

" NVIDIA Installer cannot continue The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware "

I am not sure if upgrade will let you proceed if you keep getting this message now, i am not sure what backup you have from old OS in case anything goes wrong (disc or image). As need to upgrade first before doing a clean install.

What exact driver for this card is on there now working fine ? Do not bother with the GeForce Experience now, yes used for updating and setting optimal settings for games, but not useful at this point.

Mean my guess is as good as yours right now if will go o.k. with upgrade and then upgrading the drivers to Windows 10. As said before is all backed up on system in case of, was other OS preinstalled or did you have a disc ? These kind of plans should always be done before attempting any upgrade or OS change.

Other thing is can try a better app to clean up old drivers to install new drivers may help you. With NVIDIA i always choose Clean custom install removing the old, but this software may help more. Some here swear by this http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

jds63, Sep 8, 2015
  15. Thanks again for reply, it is much appreciated. I think I will remove the display driver using Display Driver Uninstaller DDU, and then install new driver to see if that works. I will create an image backup using Acronis before I attempt to do this.

Then I will see if the Windows 10 upgrade message goes away. If not then I will use the media creation tool so I don't have any problems with Windows 10 activation. I just hope the upgrade process allows me to proceed, and the earlir message doesn't prevent me from upgrade.

Thanks again for providing this valuable information for my problem.

regards, Hugh

hughparker1, Sep 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 hangs when using Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - hangs using Microsoft

2. Taskbar is not showing up when using Microsoft edge.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar is not showing up when using Microsoft edge.: Whenever I have a tab in Microsoft Edge open my taskbar refuses to show up on the Edge pages no matter what I do. Autohide is already turned off, and I have already attempted to reboot windows explorer, but neither has helped. This issue started maybe a month ago and is...
  3. Taskbar is not showing up when using Microsoft edge.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar is not showing up when using Microsoft edge.: Whenever I have a tab in Microsoft Edge open my taskbar refuses to show up on the Edge pages no matter what I do. Autohide is already turned off, and I have already attempted to reboot windows explorer, but neither has helped. This issue started maybe a month ago and is...
  4. Windows 10 freezes when I use browser Edge ,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 freezes when I use browser Edge ,: Hello there, My asus Laptop with Ram 8GB, 1 Tb HDD freezes when I use more than 1 tab in edge. I earlier had this issue with chrome too then i Reset my PC and was advied to use only Edge but now I am facing the same issue with Edge. KIndly Help....
  5. Using Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Using Microsoft Edge: Im using the Edge browser and have it set as my default browser but every time I launch it I have to sign into Gmail, Facebook etc, anyone know how I can fix it so i dont have to keep signing in? TIA 160887
  6. Laptop hangs when i switch on and to use it

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop hangs when i switch on and to use it: Hello. i have Acer nitro 5 AN515-52 and bought in Oct 2019. Lately, the display was flickering and notification pops showing "display driver failed to start". And at that time I thought it is because i haven't installed the antivirus, and luckily after installing the...
  7. Windows 10 Error Message using Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Error Message using Microsoft Edge: Hi all, Desktop PC is using the latest version of Windows 10. The last few nights I've noticed that I've been getting an error message when I've been on the internet using Microsoft Edge. It comes with a beeping noise and it keeps telling me that files are corrupt and to...
  8. Unable to highlight when using AOL email on Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to highlight when using AOL email on Microsoft Edge: I use AOL email with Microsoft Edge. I have previously had no problem highlighting portions of emails when replying or forwarding. This facility seems to have disappeared, but is still there if I use Internet Explorer. I thought Edge was an upgrade; can anyone explain why...
  9. Edge hanging up

in Browsers and Email
    Edge hanging up: When I use my computer after it has sat for a couple of hours, anything I open on Edge freezes requiring Edge to be closed. When I try to reopen it, I get the blue screen with the Edge logo, but it doesn't proceed beyond there. In order to fix it, the computer must be...
  10. Use Microsoft Edge Snooze in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use Microsoft Edge Snooze in Windows 10: How to: Use Microsoft Edge Snooze in Windows 10 How to Snooze in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible...