Windows 10: Windows 10 has changed my Drive letter

Discus and support Windows 10 has changed my Drive letter in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just upgraded to Windows 10 Home using the Tutorials and a flash drive boot. All seems to have gone well and Windows installed in my 120Gig SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Aurondium, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Aurondium Win User

Windows 10 has changed my Drive letter

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 Home using the Tutorials and a flash drive boot. All seems to have gone well and Windows installed in my 120Gig SSD Drive C.

However, I see my 1T HDD Drive E (which I disconnected before installing Windows and then reconnected after the installation) is now called Drive D. Why is this, and how do I call it Drive E as before. I'm not too technical but I assume now calling it Drive D may conflict with anything looking for data under the old Drive E.

:)

Aurondium, Mar 12, 2016
  2. EgzieH Win User

windows 10 has switched my drive letter F to E and won't change back!

windows 10 has switched my drive letter F to E and won't change back!

EgzieH, Mar 12, 2016
  3. victbtm Win User
    Drive Letter

My PC recently changed a Drive letter by default because of another drive crashing. I need to change the new letter to this drive back to the previous letter being that my music files are on the drive. How do I change the drive letter using Windows 10?

victbtm, Mar 12, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Windows just chooses the next free letter.
    Go to Disk Management(right click the Windows icon and choose it from the menu).

Windows 10 has changed my Drive letter [​IMG]

Right click the drive(or partition) and choose "Change Drive letter and paths",
    Click change in the box that pops up,
    and see if your prefered letter is free in the drop down menu.

If it isn't free, change the letter on the drive it's assigned to first,
    then go back and make you changes.

Windows 10 has changed my Drive letter [​IMG]

Cliff S, Mar 12, 2016
  5. Aurondium Win User
    Excellent. Many thanks, Cliff. My old CDROM drive D was changed to E so I changed the D to an H, then used the released D to free up the E and put that on the correct drive. Thank you so much. Very clear instructions. *Biggrin

Aurondium, Mar 12, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I'm glad it worked. You're welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 has changed my Drive letter - Similar Threads - has changed Drive

2. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  3. Laptop trouble - my drive letters changed?!

Laptop trouble - my drive letters changed?!: I finished work yesterday and shut down my laptop normally. It's a HP Omen 15-dc0020nr. I have Windows 10 Professional on it, but I am unsure which version - had to shutdown automatic updates completely since my work demands me to be available immediately, something Windows...
  4. Is it possible to change Windows drive letters?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change Windows drive letters?: Recently I bought myself an SSD to have my OS and some games on it. My SSD is way smaller than my main hard drive, so I couldn't clone it. Therefore I decided to install Windows on it from scratch. This all went well, except for one thing. The SSD makes itself the C drive....
  5. How to change Drive letter in windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Drive letter in windows 10: [ATTACH]This post will show you how to change the Drive letter in Windows 10. […] This article How to change Drive letter in windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  7. Windows Update Changed Drive Letters

Windows Update Changed Drive Letters: A recent Windows update changed my "D" disc drive to "F" - why would this happen? And now my former D drive which is F will only accept gaming CD's - will not run a music cd or program cd for installations....
  8. Windows arbitrarily changes a drive letter

Windows arbitrarily changes a drive letter: Windows arbitrarily decides to change the drive letter for my SD card from J back to its default D. Why its default is D, I have no friggin clue, but it's wrong for my purposes and that's why I changed it to J. Why I need it this way, is of no concern and is irrelevant,...
  9. Windows 10 BSOD Drive letter changed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 BSOD Drive letter changed: Few days back when I turned on my pc and selected windows 10 from the boot selector (I have two OSes, windows 10 and PhoenixOS android), I immediately got a BSOD. I had the bootable usb, so I launched start-up repair but it couldn't repair. I found out that the drive letter C...
  10. Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10: How to: Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 How to Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why has drive letter changed in windows

2. why has my drive letter changed windows 10