Windows 10: Windows 10 has no INFCACHE.1 - How do I delete the driver cache?

Discus and support Windows 10 has no INFCACHE.1 - How do I delete the driver cache? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have this persistent driver install issue that this thread USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Help Forums very much looks like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nsowon, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Nsowon Win User

Windows 10 has no INFCACHE.1 - How do I delete the driver cache?

Hi,

I have this persistent driver install issue that this thread USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Help Forums very much looks like it will solve.

Mine started when a perfectly working USB camera suddenly stopped, presumably after a MS update of unknown origin. .
    However, despite various searches, i can't find how to delete the driver cache on WIndows 10.

Any time I try and install a driver, it says it found the driver but then can't find the files specified. Deleting the Cache has been a resolution for many WIndows 7 users.

Any pointers appreciated, please.

:)

Nsowon, Jul 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 can't download driver software

I downloaded Wins 7 to Wins 10. Afterwards my sound was fine. But I accidentally deleted an IDT audio driver, not knowing what it was. I have since read that Wins 10 isn't compatible with IDT audio device. But it was working very well before I deleted the
    driver. Device mgr will not load a driver since Windows is not installing any driver software on my system. I'm getting that message. I read that the problem with not being able to download driver software on Wins 10 is related to a file: INFCACHE.1. I researched
    the folder it should be in but it's not there. I haven't been able to download file INFCACHE.1 anywhere. I read online that if I right click on it's folder and click on "restore to previous version," it would resolve the problem. It doesn't. I've tried everything.
    I've been working on this night and day for going on 4 days. I'm at my wits end. Nothing at all works. I am using an HP Pavilion G7 Notebook.

c45d88dc-46c8-4cca-9425-d97df496a1e9, Jul 2, 2016
  3. Sprint HTC Touch will not connect to my machine.

Windows Vista...find, take ownership and delete the file:

infcache.1 in c:\windows\inf....

Peter hitchcock, Jul 2, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

You could try pnputil -e > C:\Drivers.txt from an elevated command prompt.

Then open the C:\Drivers.txt file and you'll see something like this Code: Published name : oem15.inf Driver package provider : Apple Inc. Class : Human Interface Devices Driver date and version : 10/29/2011 5.0.0.0 Signer name : Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher Published name : oem25.inf Driver package provider : Broadcom Corporation Class : System devices Driver date and version : 01/10/2014 1.0.0.256 Signer name : Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher Published name : oem54.inf Driver package provider : Intel Class : System devices Driver date and version : 07/07/2015 11.0.0.1157 Signer name : Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher[/quote] Find the one you don't want and uninstall it with pnputil -d oem99.inf replacing the 99 with the number found in the .txt file.

lx07, Jul 2, 2016
  5. Nsowon Win User
    Thank you so much for replying. There were no webcam or Wi-Fi card drivers listed, but I deleted all drivers not needed. On a reboot, the problem exists.

I've deleted "Ghost" drivers from another thread.

Windows 10 has no  INFCACHE.1  - How do I delete the driver cache? [​IMG]

This problem occurred a few weeks ago when, for some unknown reason, the perfectly working Cisco VTCamera3 stopped working and I got the error you see in the picture above. Then the WiFi adapter stopped working, with the same error after installing the latest from Realtek. The second VTCamera3 entry appeared after trying to update a second time.

The same error occurs when I try and reinstall any of the flagged devices.
    Intel "INF" updates fail.
    My ATI Radeon graphics card driver fails to install.

I'm afraid to try and reinstall anything unless that also fails.
    Edit: New info

I installed the Realtek driver package and it installed drivers apparently successful as no errors from this:

The Device manager persisted, so I pointed to the Realtek driver files with eh "Browse my computer" option, but still got the error, as below.

Does this info help to put me against the right tree at which to bark? Windows 10 has no  INFCACHE.1  - How do I delete the driver cache? :confused:

Regards,

David.

Nsowon, Jul 2, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    So the error is saying "can't find the file specified". I think there are 2 options here - one is you could uninstall the driver (and take the option to remove files) and the other is to try to see if you can figure out where it is getting the path from for the file it can't find.

Based on this (which is for windows 8 and seems a bit different for me on 10) the INFCACHE.1 has moved to the registry.

What I can see is inside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages are subkeys for your installed drivers. For drivers that aren't installed as part of Windows by default these subkeys contain the path to the directory containing the driver (here it is in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\Name of Driver

You could check if you can find your driver in the registry and if so the path it has exists and contains a .inf file - for example for the one above:

I suppose if the key exists but the path doesn't you could try to backup and delete the key. You would presumably need to delete the corresponding key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\ as this key points to the corresponding key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages

That is the DriverInfFiles subkey holds the name of the DriverPackages subkey.

Not sure if this help but it appears to be where the INFCACHE.1 has gone.

lx07, Jul 2, 2016
  7. Nsowon Win User
    Thanks again IX07, but how is anyone without a MS certification in the OS meant to decipher this:*cry

I swear I was never a Mac fan until I bought my MacBook Pro 2 years ago, but being forced into a windows 10 upgrade and having to work with Windows again has not been a nice experience.

There must be a reason why MS make this so complicated! All I want to see is "Webcam/Video/Camera" or some other word that might just tell me which driver I need to delete.

Can I delete them all?

More and more I see "Refresh Windows" or "Reinstall Windows" and I'm almost at the stage where my stress levels are such that I'll do it, while looking at how I can do away with Windows for good. The frustrations I've had trying to find answers over the last three weeks, going round in circles, seeing people with similar problems etc. What's so difficult that they can't have descriptive names, or a routine to select and delete the device and *all traces* of drivers etc? Why can't it tell you where it's looking, because it sure as hell knows!

On that note, I've seen reference elsewhere to your comment "(and take the option to remove files)" - but I see no option in device manager, as admin or otherwise, Where is it?

Sorry to rant, but I'm pretty technically proficient as a long-time windows user, and can follow the registry, instructions, use the shell etc., but sometimes things get the better of me.

I really should not have to reinstall the OS and all my applications because the OS can't find a a file, and can't even give me a hint of the filename and location that it already knows. *cry*cry

Again, I appreciate your time, and any help anyone can give.

[Edit - additional question]
    Could this be a permissions issue? I'm admin, but don't have full access to write to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

Regards,

David.

Nsowon, Jul 2, 2016
  8. Nsowon Win User

Solved - I'm reinstalling Windows 7.

Windows 10 is garbage. I liked Windows 7 and will take time to make sure MS don't force me to update.

Thanks for all your help, but I'm familiar enough with Win7 to debug and I regret the nagging that made me upgrade.

David.

Nsowon, Jul 2, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    No - only delete the ones installed yourself - these have a name oem*. The easiest way to find what oem refers to what is the pnputil report but it isn't very clear - it only gives the manufacturer and a brief description like "Human Interface Device" which could be a mouse or a keyboard etc.

When you go to device manager and right click to uninstall it should come up with this box...

No I don't think so - I have read only access.

Not a bad idea if you are happy with it.

If you activated 10 on your machine you can do a clean install at any time in the future and it will be activated.

Perhaps there is an easier way to deal with these driver issues but I don't know it if there is - sorry about that.

lx07, Jul 2, 2016
  10. Nsowon Win User
    I really appreciate the time taken helping me. I have windows 7 back and am installing software. Not a glitch.

As for drivers, I know it's windows as the camera has no OEM drivers and relies on windows. This makes it more frustrating as they always worked in Windows 7, and for months in 10 until an update. That update broke all USB driver installs, and the camera not working was the first sign. I should have jumped on it that day and checked which updates were done.

[EDIT] - To mention that I never had a "delete the driver software for this device" option. *Confused

However, my DIY system has a motherboard with no Windows 10 drivers and, despite passing the MS "Ready for Windows 10" I firmly believe they know that this means generic and often unstable/feature reduced functionality; in their bid for 10 to be successful, they have shot themselves in the foot - the nagging and later forced-by-trickery upgrades points to desperation have moved me, a long time windows supporter, to appreciate alternatives.

This is not to say Windows is not the best option for many.

Again, your help and support was much appreciated. *Thumbs

David.

Nsowon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 has no INFCACHE.1 - How do I delete the driver cache? - Similar Threads - has INFCACHE delete

2. How do I delete an old driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete an old driver?: So, I have a driver that I updated to a newer one and I want to uninstall the old driver, how do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-an-old-driver/91df3ea1-1dc8-42ff-a18c-6790018975ca
  3. How do I delete an old driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I delete an old driver?: So, I have a driver that I updated to a newer one and I want to uninstall the old driver, how do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-an-old-driver/91df3ea1-1dc8-42ff-a18c-6790018975ca
  4. How do I delete an old driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 System32 folder has almost 1 million files in it. How do I delete them?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 System32 folder has almost 1 million files in it. How do I delete them?: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎13/‎2020 OS build 19045.2965 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0 System32 has 953,934 files with 949,067 being default_error_stack-065324-000000.txt files @4.1K each. They look like error files...
  6. Windows 10 System32 folder has almost 1 million files in it. How do I delete them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 System32 folder has almost 1 million files in it. How do I delete them?: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎13/‎2020 OS build 19045.2965 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0 System32 has 953,934 files with 949,067 being default_error_stack-065324-000000.txt files @4.1K each. They look like error files...
  7. Windows 10 System32 folder has almost 1 million files in it. How do I delete them?

8. How do i clean the RAM cache on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i clean the RAM cache on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Help Me Please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-clean-the-ram-cache-on-windows-10/10ec60fb-b34d-4669-a9fd-64e4d87f5548
  9. How do I delete Driver Easy?

How do I delete Driver Easy?: In a fit of frustration, I made the mistake of downloading Drver Easy. I ran the Free scan and didn't find what I wanted, and now I can't find it to delete it. I tried Revo Uninstaller latest version and can't find it. Any suggestions? 139484
  10. How do I delete Driver Easy?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I delete Driver Easy?: In a fit of frustration, I made the mistake of downloading Drver Easy. I ran the Free scan and didn't find what I wanted, and now I can't find it to delete it. I tried Revo Uninstaller latest version and can't find it. Any suggestions? 139484

Users found this page by searching for:

1. infcache.1 no windows 10

2. infcache 1 windows 10 where to find

3. infcache.1 windows 10

4. oem99.inf,
  5. INFCACHE.1,
  6. C:windowsinfinfcache,
  7. infcache windows10,
  8. infcache 1 file fix windows 10,
  9. infcache.1 in windows 10,
  10. infcache windows 10,
  11. cant find file infcache.1 on my hp computer,