Windows 10: Windows 10 Home desktop showing unwanted rulers on top and left side

Discus and support Windows 10 Home desktop showing unwanted rulers on top and left side in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I noticed there were rulers on my desktop, one at the top and another on the left which I did not install. The rulers are light gray, about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shelbydoo06, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Home desktop showing unwanted rulers on top and left side

Yesterday I noticed there were rulers on my desktop, one at the top and another on the left which I did not install. The rulers are light gray, about 1/8-inch wide and immovable (see attached image). They appear to have something to do with the position of any open window because you can see the markings on the ruler move when I reposition a window. If I stop moving windows they fade away in about 5 seconds. I have multiple monitors but the rulers only exist on the primary monitor. I selected another monitor as my primary and the rulers moved to the newly selected primary monitor. I've racked my brain but cannot think of anything I did that would have added these rulers. I've done a cold reboot, and changed my background theme but to no avail. I've searched and cannot find anything related to this issue. I would like to remove these, so I would appreciate any suggestions. I apologize if I should have put this in another category, I just wasn't sure where.

:)

shelbydoo06, Jul 11, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

"align to Grid" grid Size: What is the grids size and how can I draw it!

Open Regedit (Press Windows + R keys and type regedit, then hit enter)

Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

The two settings you are looking for are IconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacing

A much easier way is to take a screen capture of your Desktop ans save it

Open the file in Paint, choose show rulers and show gridlines

Draw your grid on top of the screen capture

Remove the screen capture and you will be left with the grid

DaveM121, Jul 11, 2017
  3. Poots123 Win User
    show tab bar across screen

Somehow, I lost the tab bar at the top of the screen, and the ruler on the left side. I can't figure out how to get them back (I tried reducing the screen size b/c I also 'lost' the time stamp, date, function buttons, etc., but that didn't work.

Poots123, Jul 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 Home desktop showing unwanted rulers on top and left side

You have a third party program installed that is doing it. I would look in Programs and Features and see if there is something you don't recognize.

Windows 10 Home desktop showing unwanted rulers on top and left side [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2017
  5. Thanks for the suggestion. I did this before and I just did it again and I find nothing unusual. My newly built computer is only a couple months old so there isn't a lot of programs/apps to go through. You may still be right but I'm not seeing anything. I even went through my startup files but still nothing.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Even though you say the ruler is interactive.....could it actually be part of your desktop wallpaper?

Are you using Windows Ink Workspace?

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2017
  7. I use a theme background with slideshow and I've changed the theme a couple of times but the rulers are still there.

No, I do not use Windows Ink Workspace. I had never heard of it before you mentioned it.

8. Windows 10 Home desktop showing unwanted rulers on top and left side

I'm starting to wonder if the rulers aren't some kind of developer tool. For example, if I have a window open the top ruler has a numbered white section that represents the width of the window and the left ruler has a numbered white section that represents the height of the window. When you move the window the white sections are what moves along the ruler. And if I right click on either of the rulers the scale changes like a ruler that measures inches, centimeters, 1/2" scale etc. There are three different sets of scales on each ruler. I looked in Windows settings and there is a "for developers" section under "Update and Security" but none of the selections seem to relate to any rulers. I hope this is understandable, it's difficult to explain in writing.

9. created this message by mistake

10. After doing a clean boot and through the process of elimination I determined that it was my Fullshot program which is an image capture program. One small checkmark next to "Capture Ruler" fixed the issue. I've used Fullshot for close to two decades and I've never seen this issue before. I do not recall putting that checkmark there but I do use the program quite often so it was probably done inadvertantly. Thank you all for your contributions.

shelbydoo06, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Home desktop showing unwanted rulers on top and left side

1. Windows 10 Home desktop showing unwanted rulers on top and left side - Similar Threads - Home desktop showing

2. What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?: In this screenshot, I've just noticed that in the very top-left corner of my desktop, there is this arrow made up of blocks. I don't know long that has been there, but I would've noticed earlier what that was. When I hover/click on it, it changes my cursor to the resize icon,...
  3. What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?: In this screenshot, I've just noticed that in the very top-left corner of my desktop, there is this arrow made up of blocks. I don't know long that has been there, but I would've noticed earlier what that was. When I hover/click on it, it changes my cursor to the resize icon,...
  4. What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. weather content to the left side of the taskbar not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    weather content to the left side of the taskbar not showing: "Learn More" for 2022-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5010414 Which I just installed says:New! Adds weather content to the left side of the taskbar if the taskbar is aligned in the center. When you hover over the weather, the Widgets panel will...
  6. Screen turns black, an application topbar shows up, on the top left side of the screen. The...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen turns black, an application topbar shows up, on the top left side of the screen. The...: The title is self-explanatory. This repeated, then my computer froze. The application name was switching between apps on my PC, that wasn't at all open, not even a background app. By chance, could this be related to recently installing the Shimeji Extension on Microsoft Edge?...
  7. This PC icon pinned to the left side of the desktop

This PC icon pinned to the left side of the desktop: This PC icon is pinned on the left side primarily the upper corner but if the place is taken by other apps it will simply go downwards of my desktop. I am able to move it and replace it but the second I refresh or restart my laptop it goes back. It is the only icon that does...
  8. Programs in left side of the desktop

Programs in left side of the desktop: how to show the list of the programs in left side of the Desktop (Icons) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programs-in-left-side-of-the-desktop/0ff5beb6-ecc8-49b4-b0f7-ae7d290ae6b1
  9. Desktop not visible on left side of screen

Desktop not visible on left side of screen: left side of picture is quarter inch off screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-not-visible-on-left-side-of-screen/26661bc3-65be-4cf6-bf80-9f21b71d7aeb
  10. Icon at top left of desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon at top left of desktop: [img] This icon used to be in the form of a folder, but I deleted it and it's come back as a piece of paper. I haven't a clue as to what it's for, because when I click on it, nothing happens. Anyone else getting this? 4048

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unwanted desktop calendar top left