Windows 10: Windows 10 Home does not empty recycle bin

Discus and support Windows 10 Home does not empty recycle bin in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I successfully upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 last week. For the 1st time since the upgrade, I tried emptying my recycle bin. However, it *appears*... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kunalashar, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Home does not empty recycle bin

I successfully upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 last week.
    For the 1st time since the upgrade, I tried emptying my recycle bin. However, it *appears* to fail, in that the dialog box that pops up shows "Discovered 0 items (0 bytes)" indefinitely. More details shows the useless "Time remaining: Calculating" message, and nothing useful.
    The dialog box has been doing this for 2 hours; nothing has changed. It's neither discovered anything nor progressed. I am able to cancel the dialog box, but when I retry, it goes back to "discovering 0 bytes".

Windows 10 Home does not empty recycle bin [​IMG]

I'm on a pretty powerful Dell Inspiron 15R, 16GB RAM, Intel i7 CPU, 1 TB HDD, that's now running Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.
    Any thoughts?

:)

kunalashar, Aug 8, 2015
  2. Amaliad Win User

"Empty recycle bin" missing from Sound menu

I want to enable the "empty recycle bin" sound for when I empty the trash bin but when I go to Sound in settings, and then Sounds, "Empty recycle bin" is not listed in the Program Events.

How do I add it?

Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.14393 build 14393

Thanks!

Amaliad, Aug 8, 2015
  3. hotkey lost on the right click menu of recycle bin?

When i upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10 Home Edition, I found that there was no hotkey for empty recycle bin (used to be ‘B’) on the right click menu of the recycle bin icon. May I ask why?

Maxtelegent, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 Home does not empty recycle bin

Hello Kunalashar, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you haven't already, restart the PC, and see if you area able to empty the Recycle Bin afterwards.

If that doesn't work, then you could see if doing the tutorial below may help.

Recycle Bin Corrupted - Cannot Delete File or Folder

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  5. Bazz Win User
    Sorry no thoughts on fixing that problem mine works fine however a work around may be to install CCleaner that will empty your recycle bin.

Bazz, Aug 8, 2015
  6. Thank you Brink/Administrator.
    I had already rebooted my system.

My laptop has 2 drives, C: and F:. The RD command works on the Recycle Bin of C: (control returns to the command prompt immediately), but does not work on the Recycle Bin of F:. As before, the command prompt seems to have hung or gone to sleep when running RD /S /Q F:\$RECYCLE.BIN

PS: My F: Recycle bin has just 305 KB of files to be cleaned. It has 365 GB free space.

kunalashar, Aug 8, 2015
  7. Ironically, Bazz, I uncovered the problem when I tried running CCleaner. It seemed to hang when emptying the recycle bin. That's when I stopped it, tried to manually clear the bin using Windows 10 OS, which too, hung. That's when I posted this thread.
    I just initiated a CHKDSK. Let's see how that goes.

kunalashar, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Is the F: drive one that you can format after copying the data somewhere else temporarily?

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  9. I don't know if this is relevant, but the reason that I wanted to clean out my recycle bin was because my laptop has been taking ages to come out of hibernation or reboot after the upgrade to Windows 10.
    Immediately after the upgrade, it was blazingly fast. Now, it's slower than molasses in winter. That's when I tried running CCleaner, but it couldn't clean the recycle bin.

kunalashar, Aug 8, 2015
  10. Yes, I could. It's my last option if all else fails.

kunalashar, Aug 8, 2015
  11. Bazz Win User
    Ahh so to recap you can empty the recycle bin for files on the C drive but not for the other drives. If this is the case can you allow to see hidden files and folders and delete the recycler folder on the other drive, not sure this will help but worth a shot before you format.

12. Delete too does notwork; on F:, even running rmdir /q /s on F:\$RECYCLE.BIN through an elevated command prompt behaves as before - simply does nothing, and seems to hang.
    And the CHKDSK too failed, with the same behavior. When running CHKDSK on F:, it halts at 12%, and remains there indefinitely.

kunalashar, Aug 8, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

Hey Brink what's up!

He might have a file in his recycle bin that's protected, do you approve of "Unlocker"?, I just used it to delete a file that got hung up in there. It's over on MajorGeeks, watch out for the opt-in, it's the Babylon toolbar virus, choose custom install and then de-select "Delta Toolbar" and that will safely load Unlocker. It still works in Windows 10.

I don't know if that's an approved tool, because the installer has that virus, but as long as you opt out of it, you're safe.

XweAponX, Aug 8, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Jonny,

I would think that it would have been deleted to the Recycle Bin if it was protected.

May need to format F if Unlocker can't delete F:\$RECYCLE.BIN.

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  15. I might have found the cause - and resolution - to the problem (or it could just be a fluke).

I had OneDrive running; the moment I killed it (not just stopped or paused it, but forcefully killed the process), I was able to BOTH empty the recycle bin AND delete the $RECYCLE.BIN folder. Incidentally, my OneDrive folder in Windows 10 was directly under F: (F:\OneDrive).

I've heard of OneDrive being problematic on Windows 10, but I didn't tie it into this problem.

If it helps someone else with the same problem, the "solution" that worked for me was to stop and kill OneDrive on Windows 10. This allowed me to empty the recycle bin, delete F:\$RECYCLE.BIN and successfully complete CHKDSK.

kunalashar, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Home does not empty recycle bin - Similar Threads - Home does empty

2. Emptied recycle bin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Emptied recycle bin: Hello,I tried speaking to online help but was proptly ignored. My files were all moved to the recycle bin thinking they were still on my hard drive and not just on OneDrive, and then the recycle bin was emptied yesterday. Obviously having seen what happened, and the mistake...
  3. Empty Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Recycle Bin: I have recently had a new Hard Drive installe. Having re-installed my software and apps I have a list of 42 files in recycle bin that will not delete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/empty-recycle/6bacd00c-4699-478a-9de7-45cab25e6dd3
  4. recycle bin empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recycle bin empty: I am running win 10 and my recycle bin is always empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-empty/d2651903-ae9d-4ed2-806a-e2a3adb4d751
  5. empty of recycle bin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    empty of recycle bin: hi everyone I tried to empty my recycle bin , but I couldn't recycle bin icon is off when I try to click it can you help me ��������...
  6. Recycle bin not emptying

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin not emptying: Hi I have had my new laptop with windows 10 for 2 weeks. When I go in and empty the recycle bin not all the items are deleted. When I right click on the items and hit delete they still don't delete. Please help. Howelm...
  7. Recycle bin will not empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle bin will not empty: I used a file synchronizer to get rid of a bunch of images and the program sent all the small files to the recycle bin. Anyway, there must be a thousand small file in my recycle bin that will not empty. The "empty recycle bin" begins the process by listing all the files, but...
  8. Empty Recycle Bin?

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Recycle Bin?: Hi, New here . Lots of questions, but for now....How do I empty the recycle bin. I found how to access "Recycle Bin" on desktop but when I click on it a long list comes up and I have to delete each one individually and even that does not remove them. Where is the old reliable...
  9. Empty Recycle Bin in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Empty Recycle Bin in Windows 10: How to: Empty Recycle Bin in Windows 10 How to Empty Recycle Bin in Windows 10 The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from a hard disk, Windows places it in the Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin icon...
  10. After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty

in Windows 10 Support
    After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty: Hello, The title says it all, my desktop does not refresh automatically. Does this look familiar ? grtz, 101036