Windows 10: Windows 10 Home Full-Retail license to Windows 10 PRO using MSDN Key

Discus and support Windows 10 Home Full-Retail license to Windows 10 PRO using MSDN Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi A question about license and activation. I bought several months ago a Windows 8.1 Home Full-Retail license that I had used until I've upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by red5goahead, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Home Full-Retail license to Windows 10 PRO using MSDN Key

Hi

A question about license and activation. I bought several months ago a Windows 8.1 Home Full-Retail license that I had used until I've upgraded to Windows 10 on the day-one (29-7).
    Since a couple of month I've a Msdn subscription from my business company so I've five Windows 10 Pro license keys at least to upgrade the Home edition installed.

My worry is:

1) May I upgrade to Pro from Home without a clean install?

2) May I come back to Home full-retail license from Pro license (Oem?) using the Windows 8.1 product key I've printed on the original package?

Thanks a lot.

:)

red5goahead, Dec 22, 2015

2. Information about MSDN Product Key

I need to know about MSDN code. I bought an MSDN Key for Windows 10 Pro, what will be differences if I had bought Retail License?

Will I have the license if I need to Re-Install Windows when I had activated the Windows using MSDN Product Key??

Suyash Gupta, Dec 22, 2015
  3. I own windows 10 pro and windows 10 home. Can I switch the product keys between the pc's

If both are retail Windows 10 Home and Pro are retail store bought licenses, yes, you can swap them.

If either one is an OEM license, the answer is no.

Only one would be eligible for switching if both are retail.

Windows 10 Pro will not downgrade to Home, but Home will upgrade to Pro if you enter the key.

The system running Windows 10 Pro will need to be downgraded manually.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 22, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 Home Full-Retail license to Windows 10 PRO using MSDN Key

Yes. Go to settings - update & security - activation tab. Change product key. If the Windows 10 Pro product key from MSDN is not accepted then enter the Windows 10 Pro generic product key to trigger the upgrade, then go back a second time and enter the MSDN product key to activate it. The Windows 10 Pro generic product key is:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

You will have to do a clean install to go back to home version, though, but you will still have your previous activation stored, so it will activate.

NavyLCDR, Dec 22, 2015
  5. Thank you

No problem with the upgrade , quite fast , maybe five-ten minutes only.

The "multiple activation" type in the Msdn product key requested doesn't work. Instead the "Retail" activation type work fine.

Retail Retail keys allow multiple activations and are used for retail builds of the product. In many cases, 10 activations are allowed per key, though often more are allowed on the same machine. Multiple Activation A Multiple Activation Key (MAK) enables you to activate multiple installations of a product with the same key. MAKs are generally used with Volume Licensing versions of products. Typically, only one MAK key is provided per subscription.

red5goahead, Dec 22, 2015
  6. Superfly Win User
    MAK's are for Pro Volume Licence and Enterprise ISO's - they will not work with with Retail edition installations.

PS: Some useless info: Retail keys work on a VL iso though...

Superfly, Dec 22, 2015
  7. Which VL ISO? MSDN only lists a Multi edition Windows 10 ISO and an Enterprise ISO. There isn't a separate Windows 10 VL ISO. My MSDN MAK key works with the Multi Edition ISO, as far as I know. I haven't actually used it, not yet anyway. With the free upgrade I haven't used any of my MSDN Windows 10 keys.

alphanumeric, Dec 23, 2015
  8. Superfly Win User

The ISO's available to VL subscribers :
    Volume Licensing Service Center

Superfly, Dec 25, 2015
  9. alphanumeric, Dec 25, 2015
  10. Superfly Win User
    Yep, they have a built in key for VL (KMS) activation - also in Win 8 they did not have Media Centre (i.e. one could not upgrade to WMC as with a Retail version).

Superfly, Dec 25, 2015
  11. Ok, thanks for the added info. That's something I didn't know. Enterprise ISO's have a built in key too. They won't activate with that key though. You have to do a change key and enter your key after the install is done. That had me scratching my head the first time I installed Enterprise. Anyway Happy Christmas and a Merry New year.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Home Full-Retail license to Windows 10 PRO using MSDN Key - Similar Threads - Home Full Retail

2. Windows 10 license key retailer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 license key retailer: so me and my friend are working on building a computer and my friend wants it to be windows 10 but we dont have much money left after buying the GPU so we where searching to get a windows 10 key but the prices seem a bit low on this website and so we're not sure if its a good...
  3. Windows 10 license key retailer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 license key retailer: so me and my friend are working on building a computer and my friend wants it to be windows 10 but we dont have much money left after buying the GPU so we where searching to get a windows 10 key but the prices seem a bit low on this website and so we're not sure if its a good...
  4. Windows 10 license key retailer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing Windows 10 Home to Pro using retail licenses already owned

Changing Windows 10 Home to Pro using retail licenses already owned: I have a few Windows 10 retail licenses on my Microsoft account. I built a PC for my sister that I installed and licensed as Windows 10 Home retail. I have a spare Windows 10 Pro retail license on my account and I'd like to swap the Home license to the Pro one returning the...
  6. Multiple Windows 10 Pro Retail License Keys

Multiple Windows 10 Pro Retail License Keys: Hi, at Win 10's early existence, I accumulated 4 Win 10 Pro Retail license keys from non-Microsoft retailers and I still know what the 4 keys are: 1 I've found to be active in a Hyper-V virtual machine. 1 I've found to be active on a rarely booted offline disk. 1 of...
  7. Windows 10 Home retail license transfer

Windows 10 Home retail license transfer: Hi, I run into a problem, that I cant seem to find a way to transfer my retail non OEM license between my old laptop witch I will no longer use and new one i bought recently. Old laptop has windows activated, new one - not. Before I installed new laptop with win10 I...
  8. Windows 10 Pro full retail licence

Windows 10 Pro full retail licence: I have a PC running with a full Windows 10 Pro retail licence. I need to replace this PC it is failing with a new build and I understand I can use the same licence on the new PC if I uninstall the licence from my current PC. It is on a USB with a product key. I have two...
  9. Windows 10 pro Retail key

Windows 10 pro Retail key: I was using a retail key in my pc without any problem but suddenly my motherboard was gone and I got a replacement from manufacturer. From then I was facing windows activation problem, I contacted microsoft via skypee voice chat, the agent asks for the key and I told her....
  10. Windows 10 Pro Retail Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro Retail Key: I often change motherboard. If I buy the retail key, how many motherboard I can change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-retail-key/561e9289-3694-45e3-a87d-6873f21a54f4

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 retail licence to pro

2. windows 10 msdm retail